Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › If Trump Declares National Emergency and Starts to Build the Wall
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic If Trump Declares National Emergency and Starts to Build the Wall (Read 83 times)
Little Big Man
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

If Trump Declares National Emergency and Starts to Build the Wall
Jan 7th, 2019 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Of course he will be sued, and of course the USSC will take the case and rule as he sees fit.  They will either rule that the president cannot ignore the will of congress or they will rule that the president does not have to have congressional authority, even though the president has said that he needs it.

Either way those unelected justices rule, our elected president and our elected representatives will meekly go along with it. 

For anyone who thinks the franchise matters, or that there is such a thing as separation of powers in the federal government.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Re: If Trump Declares National Emergency and Starts to Build the Wall
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Jan 7th, 2019 at 11:57am:
For anyone who thinks the franchise matters, or that there is such a thing as separation of powers in the federal government.

I never said there was, just for myself.

I said checks and balances don't work because the parties involved will simply end up conspiring with one another for the best benefit of both, at great expense to everyone else.

And then I posted a picture from Dr. Suess's Bee-Watcher-Watcher story because I'm clever, and because yes, I'm kind of pointing out that even a child can see my point.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 8:55am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jan 7th, 2019 at 10:08pm:
I never said there was, just for myself.

I said checks and balances don't work because the parties involved will simply end up conspiring with one another for the best benefit of both, at great expense to everyone else.

And then I posted a picture from Dr. Suess's Bee-Watcher-Watcher story because I'm clever, and because yes, I'm kind of pointing out that even a child can see my point.
Checks and balances don't exist in democracies. The 17th Amendment destroyed an essential balance in our constitutional system.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Jan 7th, 2019 at 11:57am:
Of course he will be sued, and of course the USSC will take the case and rule as he sees fit.  They will either rule that the president cannot ignore the will of congress or they will rule that the president does not have to have congressional authority, even though the president has said that he needs it.

You told me repeatedly that the Constitution means whatever SCOTUS says it does and that SCOTUS legitimately had the power to alter the Constitution by interpretation.

No matter, if SCOTUS rules correctly that the President has no authority under the Constitution other than to execute the laws passed by Congress, and Congress refuses to appropriate money to build the wall, it won't be a ruling that Trump wants.

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 8th, 2019 at 9:00am:
You told me repeatedly that the Constitution means whatever SCOTUS says it does

The constitution very specifically gives the USSC judicial power over cases arising under the constitution.

Quote:
and that SCOTUS legitimately had the power to alter the Constitution by interpretation.

Lie.

Discussion over.

Too bad.  You were getting better about that.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 9:40am
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Jan 8th, 2019 at 9:38am:
The constitution very specifically gives the USSC judicial power over cases arising under the constitution.

Lie.

Discussion over.

Too bad.  You were getting better about that.

It wasn't much of a discussion anyway.

How do you account for a constitution that says
1) That blacks don't have to be allowed to go to school.
2) That blacks can be schooled separately as long as the schools are "equal" and,
3) That blacks must be integrated into racially balanced schools?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › If Trump Declares National Emergency and Starts to Build the Wall
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy