Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Does Illegal Immigration Help or Hurt the Economy?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Does Illegal Immigration Help or Hurt the Economy? (Read 496 times)
Little Big Man
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Does Illegal Immigration Help or Hurt the Economy?
Reply #20 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 9th, 2019 at 7:47pm:
Is this one of those times you mentioned where your brilliant reply stops the conversation?

Appears no. 

But it disappointed our overgrown middle school who thought he would get under my skin.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 5:48pm:
The question is about illegal immigration not immigration generally, Cato and Reason clearly come to the subject expecting to find that its good for the economy.
Sorry, no. Unlike what you're used to, Cato and Reason scholars are real scholars, not cheating ideologues.

The cost of illegal immigration to our government, so far as good studies can tell, is near zero.

Economists in general agree that immigration overall is a plus for our economy.

Who do you get your information from?

Edit: cis.org compiled a lot of data for that study you linked to, but I didn't see where they concluded that illegal immigrants are a net cost the government or the nation.

As a matter of fact, the conclusion you say they reached is the same as what Cato and Reason scholars concluded.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 5:55pm:
Agreed, but here's what's wrong with your argument.  All the positives could be solved with legal immigration.

The choice isn't between illegal and no immigration, it's between illegal and legal.  We could let in a lot more legal if we weren't letting in so many illegals
Wow! The problem is, current immigration law doesn't allow many people to legally immigrate.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 6:08pm:
The fact that illegal aliens work cheaper and make inexpensive goods and services available would not be solved by legal immigration.  Not assuming that the legal immigrants would abide by our minimum wage laws.

If illegal immigrants start businesses, it would be illegal for them to not pay minimum wages where there are minimum wage laws. That would be illegal of them!

Sorry, you said legal immigrants. No matter, if people, citizens or not, are willing to work for less than minimum wage, some people will hire them and pay cash etc. There are lots of citizens without saleable skills that aren't worth current minimum wages, and minimum wage laws condemn them to not getting jobs where they could learn marketable skills.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 6:08pm:
Now, if you were to argue that we could pull troops out of the Middle East, Europe, Asia and Africa to use them on the border, that would be a net savings.

A militarized border wall? Why does that remind me of East Berlin under the Soviets or the DMZ along the North Korean border...

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 6:10pm:
Appears no. 

But it disappointed our overgrown middle school who thought he would get under my skin.

You have a child in Jr. High School?

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #26 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 7:18pm:
Sorry, no. Unlike what you're used to, Cato and Reason scholars are real scholars, not cheating ideologues.

The cost of illegal immigration to our government, so far as good studies can tell, is near zero.

Economists in general agree that immigration overall is a plus for our economy.

Who do you get your information from?

Edit: cis.org compiled a lot of data for that study you linked to, but I didn't see where they concluded that illegal immigrants are a net cost the government or the nation.

As a matter of fact, the conclusion you say they reached is the same as what Cato and Reason scholars concluded.

Blah Blah Blah, I never said they were cheating idealogues, they are however idealogues, its pretty much in their mission statements. 

https://www.cato.org/about

https://reason.org/about-reason-foundation/

I generally agree with their ideology, don't get me wrong, I'm not going to pretend that won't effect there research. 

I try to get my information from a broad range of sources, even some I disagree with.   I'd rather have my ideas challenged than echoed.  But you do you.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 5:07pm:
Your key words were "I don't know".

That makes your opinion uninformed and not very valuable.

You have no idea about the negative impact of Illegal Immigration.

Our (Californians) lives are impacted every day by illegal immigration. My auto insurance premiums are artificially high because my car and motorcycle were hit by illegals with no insurance.

We have illegal immigrant tenants in our rental property that haven't paid rent since October.  It will cost me thousands of dollars to get them evicted.

So regarding the impacts of illegal immigration, my opinion actually trumps yours.

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #28 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 11:37am
Print Post  

Snarky Sack wrote yesterday at 6:08pm:
Quote:
Now, if you were to argue that we could pull troops out of the Middle East, Europe, Asia and Africa to use them on the border, that would be a net savings.

Jeff wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 7:34pm:
A militarized border wall? Why does that remind me of East Berlin under the Soviets or the DMZ along the North Korean border...

Because you don't understand the difference between barriers intended to keep people in and barriers intended to keep people out?

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Jan 11th, 2019 at 11:11am:
Blah Blah Blah, I never said they were cheating idealogues, they are however idealogues, its pretty much in their mission statements. 

https://www.cato.org/about

https://reason.org/about-reason-foundation/

Sure they have underlying ideas, why else would they want to find out the truth?

Try to connect the idea of individual liberty to the desire to discover the truth about political economic reality, using scholarly scientific methods...

What a great idea!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Does Illegal Immigration Help or Hurt the Economy?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy