Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Does Illegal Immigration Help or Hurt the Economy?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Does Illegal Immigration Help or Hurt the Economy? (Read 603 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Does Illegal Immigration Help or Hurt the Economy?
Reply #30 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jan 11th, 2019 at 11:28am:
You have no idea about the negative impact of Illegal Immigration.

Have you learned all about it since you said "I don't know"?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #31 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Jan 11th, 2019 at 11:37am:
Because you don't understand the difference between barriers intended to keep people in and barriers intended to keep people out?
It's hard for me to believe politicians when they talk about what they intend to do and why. They have proven themselves untrustworthy for most of my lifetime.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #32 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 11th, 2019 at 4:30pm:
Have you learned all about it since you said "I don't know"?

SkyChief wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 4:47pm:
I don't know either, but I'd wager that, everything considered, illegals hurt the economy.

The studies (such as CATO) that favor illegal immigration don't take into account ALL of the negative impacts of Illegal immigration. They only factor in the ones that can easily be quantified, and that's why I can dismiss their "study" on their economic impact.

People living in Tennessee are not impacted by illegal immigration.  Many people in California ARE.  As California is the most populous state, it stands to reason that more Californians are (negatively) impacted by illegal immigration.  California taxes are artificially high because we must pay for their family and health services.

California auto insurance is artificially high because uninsured motorist coverage is mandatory. There are literally millions of uninsured motorists driving around, so insurance companies punish us responsible insured drivers with higher premiums.

California ERs are filled with moms and tots in tow suffering sore throats and sniffles.

California freeways are choked to a crawl.  We feel lucky if we can shift into 3rd gear on the freeway.  The average speed on LA metro freeways is 19 mph.       19 MPH!!!

These are things the CATO studies ignore.

My Guest Visa plan would solve some of these issues.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #33 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jan 11th, 2019 at 6:26pm:
The studies (such as CATO) that favor illegal immigration don't take into account ALL of the negative impacts of Illegal immigration.
They did. They have.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #34 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
People living in Tennessee are not impacted by illegal immigration.  Many people in California ARE.
As long as the federal government is spending money on illegal immigrants, taxpayers everywhere are affected.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #35 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
California auto insurance is artificially high because uninsured motorist coverage is mandatory. There are literally millions of uninsured motorists driving around, so insurance companies punish us responsible insured drivers with higher premiums.

California ERs are filled with moms and tots in tow suffering sore throats and sniffles.

California freeways are choked to a crawl.  We feel lucky if we can shift into 3rd gear on the freeway.  The average speed on LA metro freeways is 19 mph.       19 MPH!!!

These are things the CATO studies ignore.

My Guest Visa plan would solve some of these issues.
Cato scholars are well aware of the problems in California and of the fact that the problems you mention are caused by bad government policies.

Better immigration laws wound certainly help everybody.

Edit: Better immigration laws won't be enough to save California.

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #36 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 11th, 2019 at 6:45pm:
As long as the federal government is spending money on illegal immigrants, taxpayers everywhere are affected.

Jeff, do you believe that the federal government should have to pay for the public school education of illegal alien children since they require local public schools to educate them, often at enormous expense?

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #37 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Jan 11th, 2019 at 8:49pm:
Jeff, do you believe that the federal government should have to pay for the public school education of illegal alien children since they require local public schools to educate them, often at enormous expense?

Jeff wrote on Dec 18th, 2018 at 7:15am:
An opportunity for every child to get a basic education is just a good idea,

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #38 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 8:40am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jan 11th, 2019 at 10:14pm:

What a horrible job government does at educating our children.  We have the most expensive schools that do the worst job educating children in the industrialized world.  And they are leftist indoctrination camps.  Anything but government would be a better option

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #39 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 9:37am
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Jan 11th, 2019 at 8:49pm:

Geez, how many times do I have to tell you? I think it should be up to the local schools, who already have considerable leeway in deciding who can go to their schools. If you don't live in the school district, they can refuse to let you go to their school... At least I think it's still like that... Think of it as "If you are not a citizen of Franklin County you can't go to school in Franklin County."

I don't think the federal government has any role in education, including paying for it, and I certainly don't think they have the authority to tell local schools that they have to educate illegal alien children.

Yes, I believe governments at all levels have the right to discriminate based on citizenship. State colleges do it as well don't they, by having out-of-state tuition more expensive than in-state tuition? By giving preference in admissions to in-state students?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Does Illegal Immigration Help or Hurt the Economy?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy