Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › ¡Ocasio!
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ¡Ocasio! (Read 4456 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

¡Ocasio!
Jan 8th, 2019 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
She proposed an income tax rate hike as high as 70% for the rich on the CBS’s “60 Minutes” in an interview with Anderson Cooper yesterday.

“Call me a radical,” said Ocasio-Cortez with a huge grin.

Former Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan called it "a terrible idea".

It certainly is.  We need more tax breaks - not tax HIKES!. 

In fact, we need to abolish income taxes entirely.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Re: ¡Ocasio!
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jan 8th, 2019 at 4:11pm:
She proposed an income tax rate hike as high as 70% for the rich on the CBS’s “60 Minutes” in an interview with Anderson Cooper yesterday.

“Call me a radical,” said Ocasio-Cortez with a huge grin.

It's been higher than 70%.

She's no radical, she's a 1960's clone, and a poor image of real revolutionists. I'll call her a poser and a useful idiot.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jan 8th, 2019 at 4:11pm:
In fact, we need to abolish income taxes entirely.
You don't think dividends and interest income and rents and corporate profits should be taxed at all?

Where will the revenue come from if incomes aren't taxed? A VAT? Tariffs? Direct taxes on property? Which do you prefer?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 8th, 2019 at 4:56pm:
You don't think dividends and interest income and rents and corporate profits should be taxed at all?
Absolutely not.

There are plenty of existing taxes and tariffs which can fund the following essential functions of government;

(1) protection of civil liberties,
(2) military defense of the homeland
(3)domestic law and order,
(4) administration of justice, (courts)
(5) conduct of periodic elections

Income Tax is a Marxist method of government expansion for making wars.  If there were no income tax, the US wouldn't be involved in foreign civil wars in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Qatar, Yemen, Kuwait, Bahrain, etc etc...

Tens of thousands of good Americans would still be alive today if it weren't for income tax.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Alexandria really ripped into President Trump in an interview with MSNBC Rachel Maddow:

"[President Trump] has a proven track record of discrimination and hatred towards immigrants...

his racism and violent rhetoric has caused many lawful immigrants to leave and return home."

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 8:32am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jan 8th, 2019 at 6:12pm:
Absolutely not.

Why not?

Saying there are plenty of other things to tax isn't an argument against taxing profits from the use of property, it's just a diversion.

So is talking about taxing wages and salaries as "income", which they are not, and which I specifically excluded from my list of various types of actual incomes.

If you absolutely do not want corporate profits, investment income or dividend income, interest income or rents taxed, please tell me why you would exempt them in favor of your other unspecified taxes.

There are of course economic distortions created by any taxation, which is anther reason government must be minimal and taxes low...

Let's work on reducing the size of government before we give them the OK to levy a VAT.

BTW, one of my theories is that people who have actual incomes have more political influence than do ordinary working people, so people with incomes are better positioned to influence the government to keep taxes on their incomes low.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #6 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 9th, 2019 at 8:32am:
Why not?

Saying there are plenty of other things to tax isn't an argument against taxing profits from the use of property, it's just a diversion.

So is talking about taxing wages and salaries as "income", which they are not, and which I specifically excluded from my list of various types of actual incomes.

If you absolutely do not want corporate profits, investment income or dividend income, interest income or rents taxed, please tell me why you would exempt them in favor of your other unspecified taxes.

There are of course economic distortions created by any taxation, which is anther reason government must be minimal and taxes low...

Let's work on reducing the size of government before we give them the OK to levy a VAT.

BTW, one of my theories is that people who have actual incomes have more political influence than do ordinary working people, so people with incomes are better positioned to influence the government to keep taxes on their incomes low.

Isn't Alexandria kind of old for you?  I mean she's legal

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 9th, 2019 at 8:32am:

Let's be honest - the only way to reduce the size and scope of government is to take away their credit card.

Take away all funding for "discretioanary" spending.  This means Income Tax has to go.

It will be tough, and many non-essential government services will need to be cut;

Non-essential wealth redistribution, Non-essential corporate bailouts,

Non-essential off-shore Military bases/installations will need to close (there's over 700 of them!)

Foreign intervention will need to stop.

"i dont want any supper powers the usa should not be the world police." - thermf5

"Let our affairs be disentangled from those of all other nations, except as to commerce" - Thomas Jefferson

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Jan 9th, 2019 at 8:54am:
Isn't Alexandria kind of old for you?  I mean she's legal
Not my type kaz. Her political opinions alone make her repellent to me, and I don't like posers.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jan 9th, 2019 at 12:08pm:
Let's be honest - the only way to reduce the size and scope of government is to take away their credit card.

Take away all funding for "discretioanary" spending.  This means Income Tax has to go.

It will be tough, and many non-essential government services will need to be cut;

Non-essential wealth redistribution, Non-essential corporate bailouts,

Non-essential off-shore Military bases/installations will need to close (there's over 700 of them!)

Foreign intervention will need to stop.

"i dont want any supper powers the usa should not be the world police." - thermf5

"Let our affairs be disentangled from those of all other nations, except as to commerce" - Thomas Jefferson
Speaking of world policing, this is a good article-

https://www.speroforum.com/a/ACIREXJPRD4/84503-Pat-Buchanan-Did-Americas-interve...

Anyway, we're seeing right now how government responds to a reduction in available revenue, and they just happen to always decide that wealth re-distribution and world policing are  essential functions.

It needs to be approached from the other end, to make known to our government that they aren't authorized to re-distribute wealth or to start wars at the President's whim wherever they want to.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › ¡Ocasio!
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy