Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › CNN is fake news
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) CNN is fake news (Read 91 times)
kaz
Libertarian Freedom Member

Minarchist

CNN is fake news
Jan 12th, 2019 at 1:09pm
Print Post  

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Re: CNN is fake news
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
I think a good way to describe it is extreme bias.

I kind of wonder (for those of you who believe fraud is aggression) whether portraying themselves as completely unbiased and using hashtags like #factsfirst doesn't count as selling everyone a bunch of lemons.

They are literally selling a product (news) and making blatantly false claims about their product.

Does the government have a right to make them lay off any claims of impartiality?

I say they can report whatever they like, but they can't claim it's impartial when it's not.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jan 12th, 2019 at 2:04pm:
I think a good way to describe it is extreme bias.

I kind of wonder (for those of you who believe fraud is aggression) whether portraying themselves as completely unbiased and using hashtags like #factsfirst doesn't count as selling everyone a bunch of lemons.

They are literally selling a product (news) and making blatantly false claims about their product.

Does the government have a right to make them lay off any claims of impartiality?

I say they can report whatever they like, but they can't claim it's impartial when it's not.

Fraud in the way I think you mean it is aggression.  Though just the term itself isn't necessarily aggression.  I have to harm you or your property for it to be aggression.

CNN reporting the news in a biased way is not in itself aggression

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Jan 12th, 2019 at 2:26pm:
CNN reporting the news in a biased way is not in itself aggression

No, I don't think so either.

But when they make the claim that their news is unbiased, they have sold a product they made blatantly false claims about.

If you believe fraud should be out-of-bounds, illegal, for whatever reason, CNN is committing a crime.

Yes, they should be able to report in a biased way. That's freedom of the press. Claiming it's unbiased, though? How different is that from selling me a bag of crisps that actually has no crisps in it?

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 2:57pm
Print Post  

It might not be true, but I can't claim they stole from me by saying it, and I didn't pay them (and have them agree) to say something different.

Now, suppose I sell you an insurance policy that promises to pay all your medical costs in full, and you send me $XXXX/month for a year... Then you get really sick and need lots of expensive medical care, and I say, sorry, I don't actually have an insurance company, and I've already spent the money you sent me, so I pay you nothing. Smiley

You say there was no aggression on my part?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 3:00pm
Print Post  

They are selling their product to their advertisers and sponsors. If the advertisers don't like the programing, they can stop paying to advertise there.

Now, if they promise the advertisers to only air certain viewpoints, and they don't do what they promised, the advertisers could sue them too.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jan 12th, 2019 at 2:31pm:
Yes, they should be able to report in a biased way. That's freedom of the press. Claiming it's unbiased, though? How different is that from selling me a bag of crisps that actually has no crisps in it?
You paid for potato chips and didn't get any. (Hey, just a hint, next time, shake the bag around a bit, you'll be able to tell it's empty.)

Who exactly paid CNN to be unbiased and tell the truth?

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 12th, 2019 at 3:03pm:
You paid for potato chips and didn't get any. (Hey, just a hint, next time, shake the bag around a bit, you'll be able to tell it's empty.)

Who exactly paid CNN to be unbiased and tell the truth?

They're paid indirectly by you.

Your time watching ads translates to advertiser money.

You pay in what is essentially labour.

Imagine the bag of crisps again, but this time I get it by watching an hour of ads. If it's still empty, is that still fraud?

-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jan 12th, 2019 at 3:06pm:
They're paid indirectly by you.

Your time watching ads translates to advertiser money.

That's to thin of a connection, much to indirect, to say that CNN defrauded me by lying in it's news broadcasts.

If (I say if because I don't watch CNN) I happened to be persuaded by CNN  advertising to buy a bag of Chuckie's Crisps, the Chuckie Corporation has an opportunity to defraud me, and if they do, CNN will not be liable, the Chuckie Corp. will... Perhaps if you could prove collusion and kickbacks...

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #9 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jan 12th, 2019 at 2:31pm:
No, I don't think so either.

But when they make the claim that their news is unbiased, they have sold a product they made blatantly false claims about.

If you believe fraud should be out-of-bounds, illegal, for whatever reason, CNN is committing a crime.

That's too silly to respond to seriously

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › CNN is fake news
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy