Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Destruction of American Cities
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The Destruction of American Cities (Read 304 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

The Destruction of American Cities
Jan 30th, 2019 at 8:02am
Print Post  
A good article on who is responsible for the decline of our once vibrant growing  cities:

https://www.speroforum.com/a/YQWUVZZFMN53/84545-Walter-Williams-Blacks-flee-Demo...

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The Destruction of American Cities
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2019 at 9:07am
Print Post  
This sort of regulation, that denies opportunity and grants favors to some at the expense of others...

Does it contribute to the destruction of cities?

https://reason.com/blog/2019/01/30/illinois-supreme-court-hears-life-and-de?utm_...

I think it does.

Proponents of planned cities (like the people who have been in charge in Chicago for half a century or more) think this sort of economic activity makes 'their' cities unruly and less than 'ideal'.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2019 at 9:59am
Print Post  

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2019 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Years ago, I used to avoid going into Los Angeles because the traffic was horrendous.   

Now I avoid going there because it's become a serious health risk.   I had the misfortune of having to conduct business there last November.  I was shocked at what I saw.   

Human feces on the sidewalks.   Not on Skid Row.     On Hope Street over half a mile from Skid Row!

Nobody seemed to notice, so the locals are used to it.    Disgusting!

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2019 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Feb 2nd, 2019 at 12:33pm:
Years ago, I used to avoid going into Los Angeles because the traffic was horrendous.   

Now I avoid going there because it's become a serious health risk.   I had the misfortune of having to conduct business there last November.  I was shocked at what I saw.   

Human feces on the sidewalks.   Not on Skid Row.     On Hope Street over half a mile from Skid Row!

Nobody seemed to notice, so the locals are used to it.    Disgusting!
It's shameful and reflects badly on all Californians.

Who is supposed to be preventing this sort of thing in L.A.? What's the annual budget for the Dept. that seems to be failing so utterly?

Probably I said something already about my belief that it's part of the loose plan to destroy evil capitalist America.

Destroy the major cities, because that's where the loot is and where the powerful capitalists hang out...

Unless of course you're China and mostly have to let new capitalists build new things before you can destroy them. Cheesy

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2019 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Feb 2nd, 2019 at 4:59pm:
Who is supposed to be preventing this sort of thing in L.A.? What's the annual budget for the Dept. that seems to be failing so utterly?

I'm guessing the Dept. of Health.

But clearly, they are overwhelmed. . . . or on vacation!   Grin

Either way, it's time to hand it over to the private sector.   

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2019 at 6:24am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Feb 2nd, 2019 at 10:16pm:
I'm guessing the Dept. of Health.

But clearly, they are overwhelmed. . . . or on vacation!   Grin

Either way, it's time to hand it over to the private sector.   
To do what?

I'm assuming you think the government of LA should hire private contractors to clean up the mess that the government of LA has allowed to be created? Would they abolish whatever government Dept. is supposed to be cleaning up now? That seems unlikely...

Wouldn't it make more sense to approach the problem from the other end, to try to stop the creation of the mess in the first place?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2019 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Feb 3rd, 2019 at 6:24am:
To do what?

I'm assuming you think the government of LA should hire private contractors to clean up the mess that the government of LA has allowed to be created?
Yes.  Private sector always is more efficient/effective than government.

Would they abolish whatever government Dept. is supposed to be cleaning up now? That seems unlikely...
Ideally, yes.

Wouldn't it make more sense to approach the problem from the other end, to try to stop the creation of the mess in the first place?

They could pass laws which prohibit shitting on sidewalks.   Oh wait - we already have existing laws which prohibit that.

Maybe drop a Porta-Potty on every street corner, and offer a cash reward to anyone who use them.

What would you propose to keep the homeless junkies from shitting on the sidewalk?    Smiley

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Feb 3rd, 2019 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Feb 3rd, 2019 at 1:57pm:

The way I see it, living on the sidewalks and streets and using them as toilets and trash dumps violates reasonable regulations relating to public health and safety, and should be enforced using police powers. To prevent the plague and such like. Shocked

You think LA should abolish their police department and replace them with private contractors? In LA, that probably would improve things.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2019 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Feb 3rd, 2019 at 1:57pm:

Ideally, yes.

They could pass laws which prohibit shitting on sidewalks.   Oh wait - we already have existing laws which prohibit that.

Maybe drop a Porta-Potty on every street corner, and offer a cash reward to anyone who use them.

What would you propose to keep the homeless junkies from shitting on the sidewalk?    Smiley
Make them live in abandoned neighborhoods in abandoned homes and businesses and shit inside where they live...Wait, they already do that too! Cheesy

What would I do? Send regular patrols of night shift cops to roust them out. Wake them up every 45 minutes, and force them to move at least 10 blocks away from where they were nesting. It wouldn't take long at all before they found somewhere else to crash.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Destruction of American Cities
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy