Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Mousetraps Work because . . .
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Mousetraps Work because . . . (Read 1712 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Mousetraps Work because . . .
Reply #80 - Feb 16th, 2019 at 12:19am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Feb 15th, 2019 at 10:29pm:
No, I'm just stating that you don't think people should be forced to insure themselves in case they break into somebody's house.
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #81 - Feb 16th, 2019 at 8:13am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Feb 15th, 2019 at 10:29pm:
No, I'm just stating that you don't think people should be forced to insure themselves in case they break into somebody's house.

You do think I should be forced to insure myself in case I slam my car into someone else's car.

I hope you are joking when you keep saying you think you are a genius.  Breaking into someone's house is a crime.  If you drive your car intentionally into a car that is also a crime.

However, you may also cause an ... accident.  That means you make a bad driving choice and cause an accident.  You don't accidentally break into a house.

This seriously is something you think is a contradiction?  You're right that you have issues.

Again, it's fine that you oppose mandatory insurance.  But these arguments are just lame.  But kaz, you don't see how breaking into someone's house and misjudging a turn and causing an accident are the same!  Um ... they aren't the same ...

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #82 - Feb 16th, 2019 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 16th, 2019 at 8:13am:
I hope you are joking when you keep saying you think you are a genius.  Breaking into someone's house is a crime.  If you drive your car intentionally into a car that is also a crime.

However, you may also cause an ... accident.  That means you make a bad driving choice and cause an accident.  You don't accidentally break into a house.

This seriously is something you think is a contradiction?  You're right that you have issues.

Again, it's fine that you oppose mandatory insurance.  But these arguments are just lame.  But kaz, you don't see how breaking into someone's house and misjudging a turn and causing an accident are the same!  Um ... they aren't the same ...

They would be the same if either the "accident" was intentional or someone broke into my house unintentionally.

Almost all accidents are avoidable anyway, if only the laws are followed. If you don't drink, drive aggressively, or break the rules of the road, the likelihood is fantastically low that you'll cause an accident.

When people do these things, they're intentionally risking an accident, usually so they can get one car length ahead. They know what they're doing. They had the choice not to do it. When they cause an accident, that's intentional.

You support mandatory insurance for some risks and not others. Obviously they're not the exact same situation. Nor is it the exact same situation when Billy punches Sally as it is when Sally kicks Billy. Not having a clear rule that governs both situations is known as a double standard.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #83 - Feb 16th, 2019 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Feb 16th, 2019 at 1:13pm:
They would be the same if either the "accident" was intentional...
Intentional acts are not accidental.

Accidents are not intentional.

I see you still aren't bothering with dictionaries... Cry

Or perhaps you're just irrational. Cheesy

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #84 - Feb 16th, 2019 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Nor is it the exact same situation when Billy punches Sally as it is when Sally kicks Billy. Not having a clear rule that governs both situations is known as a double standard.
Sally and Billy are both humans? Then the rule is, don't physically assault other humans.

No double standard there, as there is no double standard in saying that using physical force in self defense is permitted to everyone, while the initiation of physical force is prohibited to everyone.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #85 - Feb 16th, 2019 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
They would be the same if either the "accident" was intentional or someone broke into my house unintentionally.

Almost all accidents are avoidable anyway, if only the laws are followed. If you don't drink, drive aggressively, or break the rules of the road, the likelihood is fantastically low that you'll cause an accident.

When people do these things, they're intentionally risking an accident, usually so they can get one car length ahead. They know what they're doing. They had the choice not to do it. When they cause an accident, that's intentional.

You support mandatory insurance for some risks and not others. Obviously they're not the exact same situation. Nor is it the exact same situation when Billy punches Sally as it is when Sally kicks Billy. Not having a clear rule that governs both situations is known as a double standard.

That's just stupid.  Grow up

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #86 - Feb 16th, 2019 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 16th, 2019 at 2:11pm:
That's just stupid.  Grow up

Typical libertarian argument.

This is why people don't like the free market. They want discourse, not the most dominant person shouting others down.

Jeff wrote on Feb 16th, 2019 at 2:02pm:
Sally and Billy are both humans? Then the rule is, don't physically assault other humans.

No double standard there, as there is no double standard in saying that using physical force in self defense is permitted to everyone, while the initiation of physical force is prohibited to everyone.

Yes, when you have a rule that governs multiple very similar situations, that's not a double standard. It's almost like this is exactly what I was talking about and you tried to pretend I was opposing this.

When you retreat to something like kicking and punching being different, with a typical libertarian argument like, "Lol you think kicking and punching are the same! You're so stupid lololololo," then that's a double standard.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #87 - Feb 16th, 2019 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Feb 16th, 2019 at 3:35pm:
Typical libertarian argument.

This is why people don't like the free market. They want discourse, not the most dominant person shouting others down

You're arguing that it's a double standard because I support requiring insurance to drive on government roads and they might cause an accident but I don't think I should have to buy insurance to protect people from my deciding to rob them.

That's a stupid argument.  Grow up

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #88 - Feb 16th, 2019 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 16th, 2019 at 4:17pm:
You're arguing that it's a double standard because I support requiring insurance to drive on government roads and they might cause an accident but I don't think I should have to buy insurance to protect people from my deciding to rob them.

That's a stupid argument.  Grow up

Maybe what was actually stupid was you establishing the principle that people should ever be required to purchase a product to protect others from the normal levels of risk they impose on them, since they're already liable.

-SnarkySack

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #89 - Feb 16th, 2019 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Feb 16th, 2019 at 5:38pm:
Maybe what was actually stupid was you establishing the principle that people should ever be required to purchase a product to protect others from the normal levels of risk they impose on them, since they're already liable.

No, insurance against you deciding to rob someone is far more stupid since that isn't insurance against creating an accident.  And safe drivers pay a lot less.  I have a perfect driving record.  I pay little for insurance.  You drive poorly and get tickets and in accidents, you pay a lot more. See how that works?

78% of full time US workers say they live paycheck to paycheck.  Sure, they're liable.  But you can't collect.

Do you have a policy to protect people in case they decide to murder someone  or commit arson or commit assault and battery or in case you decide to commit any other crime?

And you don't have to buy insurance to drive on your own roads or on the property of anyone who allows you to drive without insurance.

And safe drivers pay a lot l

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Mousetraps Work because . . .
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy