Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Mousetraps Work because . . .
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Mousetraps Work because . . . (Read 1920 times)
The Opposition
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Mousetraps Work because . . .
Reply #90 - Feb 16th, 2019 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 16th, 2019 at 7:04pm:
No, insurance against you deciding to rob someone is far more stupid since that isn't insurance against creating an accident.  And safe drivers pay a lot less.  I have a perfect driving record.  I pay little for insurance.  You drive poorly and get tickets and in accidents, you pay a lot more. See how that works?

The insurance companies just take whatever they want. Some of the safest drivers I know pay more than others I know who've been caught driving drunk multiple times.

78% of full time US workers say they live paycheck to paycheck.  Sure, they're liable.  But you can't collect.

Just like you can't collect if they decide to rob you. Or if they drop a hammer on your head.

If the liability was handled well, I wouldn't care that I couldn't collect because 1) I suddenly have plenty of money because I'm not forced to buy insurance and 2) I would take their car and consider it fair payment for damages to get them off the road.

Do you have a policy to protect people in case they decide to murder someone  or commit arson or commit assault and battery or in case you decide to commit any other crime?

Do you? You're the one who thinks forcing people to buy a product to insure against the risks they pose to others is legitimate in at least some cases.

And you don't have to buy insurance to drive on your own roads or on the property of anyone who allows you to drive without insurance.

You have to use public roads to burgle people, too, since you have to get to their house somehow. I'm only proposing burglary insurance for people who use public property to travel to the homes the intend to burgle. If you want to use a helicopter, or burgle the people who live with you, go ahead and do it without insurance.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #91 - Feb 17th, 2019 at 8:23am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Feb 16th, 2019 at 8:43pm:
The insurance companies just take whatever they want. Some of the safest drivers I know pay more than others I know who've been caught driving drunk multiple times.

Yeah, Karl.  Sure they do.  You're full of shit.  Insurance is highly competitive.  Take an economics class to learn why.  Seriously

The Opposition wrote on Feb 16th, 2019 at 8:43pm:
Just like you can't collect if they decide to rob you. Or if they drop a hammer on your head.

If the liability was handled well, I wouldn't care that I couldn't collect because 1) I suddenly have plenty of money because I'm not forced to buy insurance and 2) I would take their car and consider it fair payment for damages to get them off the road.

Do you? You're the one who thinks forcing people to buy a product to insure against the risks they pose to others is legitimate in at least some cases.

You have to use public roads to burgle people, too, since you have to get to their house somehow. I'm only proposing burglary insurance for people who use public property to travel to the homes the intend to burgle. If you want to use a helicopter, or burgle the people who live with you, go ahead and do it without insurance.

This is just drivel.  Grow up

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #92 - Feb 17th, 2019 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 17th, 2019 at 8:23am:
Yeah, Karl.  Sure they do.  You're full of shit.  Insurance is highly competitive.  Take an economics class to learn why.  Seriously

If it's valid to make people purchase a product to protect others from risks that may never eventuate in one case, and drivel to say that same principle is valid in another case, then you do have a double standard.

Just the fact that you must purchase insurance makes it less competitive. The worst drivers are on the road, and the insurance companies must sell them policies - policies they can afford. The drunk and/or reckless drivers are built-in losses the insurance companies must take out of the hides of good drivers, or they won't make a profit.

You were never able to explain how, if insurance is so competitive, it's so much cheaper to insure a vehicle in a state where insurance is not mandatory (example being Florida, where motorcycle insurance is not mandatory). It's almost like forcing people to buy the product does have a major impact on the price.

This is the same motorcycle.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #93 - Feb 17th, 2019 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Feb 17th, 2019 at 4:31pm:
Just the fact that you must purchase insurance makes it less competitive.
Or it gives more companies a chance to compete...

What makes it less competitive in my sate is that the state restricts free competition.  Only state approved insurance companies can sell insurance in my state.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #94 - Feb 17th, 2019 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
The worst drivers are on the road, and the insurance companies must sell them policies - policies they can afford. The drunk and/or reckless drivers are built-in losses the insurance companies must take out of the hides of good drivers, or they won't make a profit.

If that is true, it's another instance of the state screwing up the market.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #95 - Feb 17th, 2019 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
You were never able to explain how, if insurance is so competitive, it's so much cheaper to insure a vehicle in a state where insurance is not mandatory (example being Florida, where motorcycle insurance is not mandatory). It's almost like forcing people to buy the product does have a major impact on the price.

http://oi65.tinypic.com/11jarth.jpg
Give us the specifics of the state laws, that will explain most of it.

Nevertheless, insurers do compete within their state. They are a cartel rather than a monopoly.

Perhaps FL allows people to buy insurance from any insurance company anywhere? That's the way it should be everywhere... That's your point right, keep the government out of it.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #96 - Feb 17th, 2019 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
If it's valid to make people purchase a product to protect others from risks that may never eventuate in one case, and drivel to say that same principle is valid in another case, then you do have a double standard.

Just the fact that you must purchase insurance makes it less competitive. The worst drivers are on the road, and the insurance companies must sell them policies - policies they can afford. The drunk and/or reckless drivers are built-in losses the insurance companies must take out of the hides of good drivers, or they won't make a profit.

http://oi65.tinypic.com/11jarth.jpg

Fake news.  No one is making you buy insurance.  You only have to buy it if you want to drive on government roads.  You want a free ride (pun intended).  You drive on roads paid for other people and you don't want to follow the rules.

You want to drive on government roads, you need a drivers license, a roadworthy car, insurance.  You need to drive within the speed limits, stay in your lane, stop at red lights and stop signs, yield at yield signs.  Those are the rules.  The choice whether to participate is yours

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #97 - Feb 17th, 2019 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 17th, 2019 at 7:21pm:
Fake news.  No one is making you buy insurance.  You only have to buy it if you want to drive on government roads.  You want a free ride (pun intended).  You drive on roads paid for other people and you don't want to follow the rules.

They aren't rules; they're a free ride for the insurance company. Rules are the same for everyone, and these so-called rules benefit uninsured and bad drivers, who are never punished.

I already pay gas taxes that pay for the roads. No free ride here. The free ride is gained by the insurance companies, who don't have to work for more than half of that money.

I'm not buying your crap that forcing people to buy insurance doesn't make it more expensive. I just showed you that it does.

These are not government roads. These are not the insurance companies' roads. The roads are built with taxes paid by people like me.

You have a double standard. In one instance, you think people should have to buy insurance to shield others from risk. In every other case, you think it's drivel.

Jeff wrote on Feb 17th, 2019 at 6:35pm:
Give us the specifics of the state laws, that will explain most of it.

Florida allows motorcycles to go uninsured. That's the long and short of it. If the price climbs too high, the insurance companies experience a dropoff in sales as the policies become less worth it to motorcyclists. This will not be so where motorcycle insurance is mandatory.

You have the same four or five options in Florida as anywhere else. Progressive, GEICO, Allstate, etc. Amazing how there aren't lots of new competitors coming into the market when prices rise.

-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #98 - Feb 18th, 2019 at 6:40am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Feb 17th, 2019 at 7:58pm:
Florida allows motorcycles to go uninsured. That's the long and short of it.
This seems to contradict your claim:

https://statelaws.findlaw.com/florida-law/florida-motorcycle-insurance.html

From the article:

Penalties for Not Having Insurance

Motorcycle owners who cannot provide proof of insurance may have to deal with penalties, such as suspension of driver’s licenses, motorcycle registration, and motorcycle license plates, as well as fees to regain driving privileges.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #99 - Feb 18th, 2019 at 8:27am
Print Post  
I'm not buying your crap that forcing people to buy insurance doesn't make it more expensive. I just showed you that it does

I never said it doesn't.  More fake news

These are not government roads. These are not the insurance companies' roads. The roads are built with taxes paid by people like me.

They're not government roads?  Of course they are, stop being a moron.  And that they are paid for by taxes is how they ARE government roads, dweeb.  Not how they aren't.  So by your standard, nothing is government since all government is paid with taxes.  You stepped on your tongue that time.

And the people who pay for the roads through taxes overwhelmingly want your ass insured.  They'd want it even more if they read your posts and know how unbalanced you are

You have a double standard. In one instance, you think people should have to buy insurance to shield others from risk. In every other case, you think it's drivel

In the first case, it's a requirement to drive on government roads.  You're not required to drive on government roads.  If you go to a national park, you have to pay the entrance fee.  If government collects your trash, you have to follow their disposal rules.  Even libertarians can live in a society

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Mousetraps Work because . . .
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy