Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Propertarianism - Private Property And Contracts
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Propertarianism - Private Property And Contracts (Read 921 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Propertarianism - Private Property And Contracts
Reply #30 - Feb 23rd, 2019 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Feb 22nd, 2019 at 10:42pm:
You said the vendor was selling Coke. You maintain that Coke has a claim because even more Coke would have been sold if the vendor wouldn't have been calling it Pepsi? The vendor was an idiot acting against his own best interests?

Yes.

What will Coke gain by suing the vendor?

A jury typically would award some type of money settlement to the plaintiff  (Coca-Cola).

Their property rights in the name "Coke" will be protected but the vendor will no longer be selling Coke?

Yes. Property rights are protected.

The vendor may continue to sell Coke, but if he/she continues to put PEPSI labels on the Coke bottles, he would liable for another lawsuit.   

A jury would probably double the settlement which would likely put the vendor out of business.

Edit: Are the temporary property rights in the name "Coke" actually eternal?
For the purposes of this discussion, yes.  (can anything really be eternal?)

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #31 - Feb 23rd, 2019 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Feb 23rd, 2019 at 11:20am:
A jury typically would award some type of money settlement to the plaintiff  (Coca-Cola).
The vendor would be who Coke would sue? It doesn't seem likely to happen, but neither is someone relabeling Coke cans or bottles as Pepsi.

I stil haven't figured out what "propertarianism" is supposed to mean...

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #32 - Feb 23rd, 2019 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Feb 23rd, 2019 at 2:09pm:
The vendor would be who Coke would sue?

Yes.  The plaintiff would be the Coca-Cola corp, and the defendant would be the vendor.  It would be a slam-dunk for Coca-Cola.  The vendors lawyer would certainly advise his client to offer an out-of-court settlement.

No jury on the planet would decide that the vendor had a right to re-label Coke bottles with PEPSI.

It doesn't seem likely to happen, but neither is someone relabeling Coke cans or bottles as Pepsi.

Right. It was a scenario that i thought up to demonstrate how propertarianism works.

See, that's why I wrote  abstract: before the scenario.   That was to let the reader know that it's a concept - I was not presenting that scenario as an actual event.

I stil haven't figured out what "propertarianism" is supposed to mean...

I think I have.   

It's complicated, but I think propertarianism is an off-shoot libertarian philosophy based on the ideals of self-ownership, the NAP,  private property, and contracts - both written and unwritten.

Income Taxes would be forbidden with propertarians.

Doolittle was asked   "What Are Your Thoughts on Taxation?”

His answer was explained in over 20 paragraphs, so I wont put it here.   This is his final statement:

Quote:
From what I can see in the behavior of most countries, if you have a small homogenous people they will be highly redistributive voluntarily, and heterogeneity radically decreases willingness to both redistribute or to contribute in any way to the commons.

That's a roundabout way of saying "Taxes are BAD."   Wink

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #33 - Feb 23rd, 2019 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Feb 23rd, 2019 at 3:12pm:
Yes.  The plaintiff would be the Coca-Cola corp, and the defendant would be the vendor.  It would be a slam-dunk for Coca-Cola.  The vendors lawyer would certainly advise his client to offer an out-of-court settlement.

No jury on the planet would decide that the vendor had a right to re-label Coke bottles with PEPSI.
What if evidence is discovered that Coke put the guy up to it in order to sell more Coke?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #34 - Feb 23rd, 2019 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Feb 23rd, 2019 at 3:12pm:
I think I have.   

It's complicated, but I think propertarianism is an off-shoot libertarian philosophy based on the ideals of self-ownership, the NAP,  private property, and contracts - both written and unwritten.

Income Taxes would be forbidden with propertarians.

Doolittle was asked   "What Are Your Thoughts on Taxation?”

His answer was explained in over 20 paragraphs, so I wont put it here.   This is his final statement:

That's a roundabout way of saying "Taxes are BAD."   Wink

So it's another attempt from the radical anarchist left to confuse everybody into supporting anarchy?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #35 - Feb 23rd, 2019 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Feb 23rd, 2019 at 3:20pm:
What if evidence is discovered that Coke put the guy up to it in order to sell more Coke?

If the Coca-Cola corp. made a contract with the vendor to re-label the Coke bottles as PEPSI, then their law team would certainly advise AGAINST filing a lawsuit against the Vendor.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #36 - Feb 23rd, 2019 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Feb 23rd, 2019 at 3:26pm:
If the Coca-Cola corp. made a contract with the vendor to re-label the Coke bottles as PEPSI, then their law team would certainly advise AGAINST filing a lawsuit against the Vendor.
That's what I think happened, so maybe Pepsi has grounds for a suit against Coke! Smiley

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #37 - Feb 23rd, 2019 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Feb 23rd, 2019 at 3:30pm:
That's what I think happened, so maybe Pepsi has grounds for a suit against Coke! Smiley

Yes, in YOUR scenario, Pepsi certainly would have grounds for a suit against Coke.

In my scenario, however, there are torts with both Coca-Cola and Pepsi, so they would have legal standing to sue the vendor.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #38 - Feb 23rd, 2019 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Feb 23rd, 2019 at 3:39pm:
Yes, in YOUR scenario, Pepsi certainly would have grounds for a suit against Coke.

In my scenario, however, there are torts with both Coca-Cola and Pepsi, so they would have legal standing to sue the vendor.
I see.

But that isn't the crucial point about propertarianism, the crucial point is taxation.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #39 - Feb 24th, 2019 at 9:34am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Feb 9th, 2019 at 3:00pm:
After some poking around, it's difficult to pin down exactly what this actually is.

The best (simplest) explanation so far:   Propertarianism is the exact opposite of parasitism.

So what is parasitism?  That's basically when one person exploits another person's property for his own benefit.

For example: (hypothetical)

My property is only large enough for my house, my garage, and the hangar where I park my plane.

My neighbor has a farm with 320 acres.  The service road on his farm serves as a perfect airstrip for my plane - its just long enough and just wide enough.

So, I build a path which connects my hangar to the service road, and conduct my flight operations using his service road as a runway.

I don't ask my neighbor's permission to use the service road because I'm never on it for more than 15 seconds.

That's not propertarian or parasitism.

In propertarianism, you do need a contract with your neighbor to violate his property rights.

It's not parasitism because being a parasite takes nutrients from the host. For example, Spanish Moss is not a parasite because it does not take nutrients from the tree it lives on.  Mistletoe is a parasite because it does take water and nutrients from the tree it lives on.

If you were taking oranges off your neighbors tree and selling them, that would be parasitism.  It needs to cause some harm and you said you aren't causing any.

In reality, you are because you are creating a risk for the neighbor, their pets, kids property or something else you could accidentally hit.  But you said you're not harming them so I went with that

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Propertarianism - Private Property And Contracts
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy