Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Propertarianism - Private Property And Contracts
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Propertarianism - Private Property And Contracts (Read 900 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Propertarianism - Private Property And Contracts
Reply #40 - Feb 24th, 2019 at 10:47am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 24th, 2019 at 9:34am:
That's not propertarian or parasitism.

In propertarianism, you do need a contract with your neighbor to violate his property rights.

Right -  I corrected myself in a later post:

SkyChief wrote on Feb 23rd, 2019 at 3:12pm:
It's complicated, but I think propertarianism is an off-shoot libertarian philosophy based on the ideals of self-ownership, the NAP,  private property, and contracts - both written and unwritten.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #41 - Feb 24th, 2019 at 10:53am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Feb 24th, 2019 at 10:47am:
Right -  I corrected myself in a later post:

OK, thanks.  And yes, an oral agreement that you can land your plane as long as you keep going onto your own property would be fine.  As you said, it doesn't need to be written to be propertarian.

I think any real small government libertarian is mostly propertarian in that we believe protecting property rights and enforcing contracts should be the primary function of government.

That doesn't get us to other things though like the military, law enforcement, roads and that sort of thing though, it can't be all government is for it to work

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #42 - Feb 24th, 2019 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
In propertarianism, you do need a contract with your neighbor to violate his property rights.
I'm confused. If my neighbor and I have n agreement, I won't be violating his rights.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #43 - Feb 24th, 2019 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
But you said you're not harming them so I went with that
It's really up to the property owner to decide if you do harm by using his property without permission, and he has a right to prevent even what might be seen as harmless trespass.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #44 - Feb 24th, 2019 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 24th, 2019 at 10:53am:
OK, thanks.  And yes, an oral agreement that you can land your plane as long as you keep going onto your own property would be fine.  As you said, it doesn't need to be written to be propertarian.

I think any real small government libertarian is mostly propertarian in that we believe protecting property rights and enforcing contracts should be the primary function of government.

That doesn't get us to other things though like the military, law enforcement, roads and that sort of thing though, it can't be all government is for it to work
Other than to introduce "taxes are bad" into the conversation, what's the point of "propertarianism"? I, just like you, don't see that there is anything at all new or different in it. It sounds like a standard libertarian approach to property rights with the addition of "taxes are bad", which makes it sound suspiciously like the anarchist idea of property rights.

I disagree in that protecting property rights (which enforcing contracts does) is 'a' primary function of government, not 'the' primary function of government.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #45 - Feb 24th, 2019 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Feb 24th, 2019 at 12:54pm:
... It sounds like a standard libertarian approach to property rights with the addition of "taxes are bad", which makes it sound suspiciously like the anarchist idea of property rights.

I disagree in that protecting property rights (which enforcing contracts does) is 'a' primary function of government, not 'the' primary function of government.

Propertarinism is different from libertarianism, and at the same time similar in some ways.

Take Intellectual Property for example.

Libertarians see intellectual property as a form of aggression or coercion, a monopolistic violation of an individual’s legitimate privileges. 

Rothbard asserted that patents are invalid and “incompatible with the free market” .

Conversely, propertarians covet intellectual property. 

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #46 - Feb 24th, 2019 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Feb 24th, 2019 at 1:14pm:
Libertarians see intellectual property as a form of aggression or coercion, a monopolistic violation of an individual’s legitimate privileges. 

Rothbard asserted that patents are invalid and “incompatible with the free market” .

That's not the mainstream libertarian position. Rothbardian anarchy only appeals to the anarchist fringe.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #47 - Feb 24th, 2019 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Feb 24th, 2019 at 1:14pm:
Propertarinism is different from libertarianism, and at the same time similar in some ways.

Take Intellectual Property for example.

Conversely, propertarians covet intellectual property. 

You're defining libertarians as anarchists again.  Most of us are not.  All the small government libertarians I know believe strongly in intellectual property

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Propertarianism - Private Property And Contracts
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy