Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Leftist wackos drive Amazon from New York
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Leftist wackos drive Amazon from New York (Read 171 times)
kaz
Libertarian Freedom Member

Minarchist

Leftist wackos drive Amazon from New York
Feb 14th, 2019 at 6:52pm
Print Post  

You look at these demonstrators and wow, talk about clueless and stupid.  They object to $3 billion in incentives?  It'll be worth billions a year in taxes.  Then they say they want the money spent on improving the neighborhoods.  They just cost the city billions a year and they want MORE spending.

Stupid.  Democrats really are just stupid

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Leftist wackos drive Amazon from New York
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2019 at 6:27am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 14th, 2019 at 6:52pm:
You look at these demonstrators and wow, talk about clueless and stupid.  They object to $3 billion in incentives?  It'll be worth billions a year in taxes.  Then they say they want the money spent on improving the neighborhoods.  They just cost the city billions a year and they want MORE spending.

Government "incentives" to lure business to their state/city distort free markets and rarely produce the promised "benefits" of higher tax revenue to governments... Of course they promise to bring new jobs to the state/city, but that promise usually falls short too.

BTW, Amazon hasn't paid any taxes recently...

I thought you liked free markets?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2019 at 9:46am
Print Post  
I tend to sort of agree with the wackos.  In the long term, its bad policy to give some business breaks that you don't offer others.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2019 at 9:50am
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Feb 15th, 2019 at 9:46am:
I tend to sort of agree with the wackos.  In the long term, its bad policy to give some business breaks that you don't offer others. 

Swish, right over your head.  First of all, these are leftists.  Obviously tax breaks are something they don't oppose other than transactionally.  Leftists support all sorts of corporate tax breaks for wind farms, solar panels, ...  It's just about what they want.

But back to my point.  Tax breaks would have brought in far higher taxes.  They just killed higher revenue, and they want to spend the money anyway.  Notice that was the conclusion of my post.

kaz wrote on Feb 14th, 2019 at 6:52pm:

For ahell:  While my conclusion was that leftists don't grasp companies increase tax revenue and they want to spend money while they just killed tax revenue increases, here are all the lawyer points on my other positions for you:

- I oppose corporate taxes (double taxation)
- I think taxes should be flat
- I don't support targeted tax breaks that make taxes not flat.  The problem is everyone has to agree to that system.  The idea situation for any city is you give tax breaks and no one else does.  If you give tax breaks and everyone else does, you're screwed
- I have no love of Amazon as a corporation and this really isn't about Amazon, it's about the stupid leftists who don't grasp that companies generate all taxes
- People who pay taxes pay them from companies they work for and invest in
- The Mayor of NY and Governor who are blasting Amazon are still butt heads, but they do realize Amazon was going to generate a bunch more taxes than the tax breaks and they wanted to spend it

Leftists don't grasp the relationship between economics and taxes, that was my point.  And they really believe their stupid crap that buying sidewalks is as economically stimulative as bringing in companies and jobs.

Also NY has insane taxes.  Amazon could get lower taxes somewhere else without the tax breaks

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2019 at 10:16am
Print Post  
It's called discrimination, and that's worse than just bad policy.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Feb 15th, 2019 at 10:18am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 15th, 2019 at 9:50am:
Tax breaks would have brought in far higher taxes.
What really works are uniformly low taxes, a bare minimum of regulation and a rule of uniformly applied law that enforces property rights.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Feb 15th, 2019 at 10:25pm
Print Post  

I'm glad I didn't say this. I almost did and it ended up being wrong.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2019 at 12:18am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Feb 15th, 2019 at 10:25pm:
You've become easy... Did you really never have any convictions about anything?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2019 at 8:10am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Feb 15th, 2019 at 10:25pm:

Yes, you'd have been wrong if you said that leftists don't support tax breaks for some and not others.   They certainly don't believe that.  They just want tax breaks for their causes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Leftist wackos drive Amazon from New York
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy