Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Is there a Libertarian case for Climate Action?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Is there a Libertarian case for Climate Action? (Read 808 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Is there a Libertarian case for Climate Action?
Reply #40 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Feb 19th, 2019 at 1:44pm:
No but legislation can change the market with things like mandating emissions testing and limits.
Quite a long time ago, a clever man devised a way to test auto emissions on individual vehicles as they drove by on the road. States were already heavily invested in requiring everyone to take their car in to a government approved emissions testing station and pay to have their car certified each year.

Guess which system won out? Cry

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #41 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Feb 19th, 2019 at 3:04pm:
Quite a long time ago, a clever man devised a way to test auto emissions on individual vehicles as they drove by on the road. States were already heavily invested in requiring everyone to take their car in to a government approved emissions testing station and pay to have their car certified each year.

Guess which system won out? Cry

Hmmm... never heard of such a thing, do you have a source for this information?

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #42 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Feb 19th, 2019 at 2:51pm:
The U.S. never polluted as much as China is currently polluting, but you are correct, we can't sue them and they don't pay any attention to the UN. Neither should we.

Anti-pollution legislation became "necessary" in the U.S. because a bad SCOTUS decision elevated the industrialization of America above property rights, giving carte blanch to industrial polluters. Another instance of a government created problem "requiring" a government solution.

Which decision?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #43 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Feb 19th, 2019 at 4:53pm:
Hmmm... never heard of such a thing, do you have a source for this information?
Not one that's any better than yours.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #44 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Feb 19th, 2019 at 4:54pm:
Which decision?
The one relating to a man's apple orchard, from which he made his living, being destroyed by the railroad's pollution.

I've talked about it before. The farmer won in every court up to the S. Ct., then he lost, because the court held that railroads were more important than a farmer's property and livelihood.

Industrializing the country was a "progressive" goal at one time, and they've never been big on property rights. Cry

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #45 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Feb 19th, 2019 at 1:44pm:
No but legislation can change the market with things like mandating emissions testing and limits.  Its nice to ignore that when trying to make the case for libertarianism but non libertarians will notice that you'v oddly ignored laws that mandated those changes. 

So my choices are that I give government the most credit or I am ignoring the role laws played in it completely.  That's just stupid.  Those aren't my only choices.

I'm a small government libertarian, BTW, not an anarchist.  I support reasonable environmental laws.  Government of course is never reasonable and those laws become more and more destructive.  But we would be reducing emissions without government as the technology advances.  We would not be reducing emissions if the government mandates it without advancing technology.  Technology is more important than government

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #46 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 19th, 2019 at 5:50pm:
I support reasonable environmental laws.  Government of course is never reasonable and those laws become more and more destructive. 
That's a good argument in favor of enforcing property rights through tort law.

Tort law is way better than "administrative law", which is scary to me. Shocked

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #47 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Feb 19th, 2019 at 5:39pm:
The one relating to a man's apple orchard, from which he made his living, being destroyed by the railroad's pollution.

I've talked about it before. The farmer won in every court up to the S. Ct., then he lost, because the court held that railroads were more important than a farmer's property and livelihood.

Industrializing the country was a "progressive" goal at one time, and they've never been big on property rights. Cry
ahhell, have you found it? Post a link when you do, thanks. Kiss

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Is there a Libertarian case for Climate Action?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy