Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › We Badly Need New, Gender-neutral Honorifics and Pronouns
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) We Badly Need New, Gender-neutral Honorifics and Pronouns (Read 892 times)
Little Big Man
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

We Badly Need New, Gender-neutral Honorifics and Pronouns
Feb 19th, 2019 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
I was pulling into the parking space in front of my dry cleaners today.  Just as I pulled in a Dodge Ram Truck pulled in very close to my left, making it difficult to get out and to get to the suits and shirts I had in the back seat.  I'm a good natured person so I actually thought, 'at least it's a Dodge (I was in my Charger).'

Around to my side comes a person in jeans, boots and a cowboy had with salt-and-pepper hair that was either long for a guy or short for a woman.  The person was at the age where it can get hard to tell without facial hair.  I took a stab and said, "how are you, ma'am?" 

I guessed right and she said, "cold tired and muddy.  I just cut you right off, didn't I?"

I said, "no problem, at all.  I've been cold, tired and muddy a time or two myself." (Gawd, I love being a Texan!)

Anyway, this is where government can actually show some leadership and do some good, without resorting to force.  Simply announce that all government contractors must use gender neutral pronouns, titles and honorifics in all correspondence with government.   It will catch on, since so many people's lives are entangled in government.

So, we don't have to stress out when we see a person who appears to be a biological male identifying as a female.  We just say, "howdy ________ ." and tip our hat if we were raised to.  If someone says, "my name is Smith, we don't have worry about offending that person by asking, "Mister or Miss?"  We don't have to worry about offending them by guessing wrong, either. 

As with weights and measures, good government can take the guesswork out of such situations. 

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Re: We Badly Need New, Gender-neutral Honorifics and Pronouns
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2019 at 5:51am
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Feb 19th, 2019 at 9:25pm:
I was pulling into the parking space in front of my dry cleaners today.  Just as I pulled in a Dodge Ram Truck pulled in very close to my left, making it difficult to get out and to get to the suits and shirts I had in the back seat.  I'm a good natured person so I actually thought, 'at least it's a Dodge (I was in my Charger).'

Around to my side comes a person in jeans, boots and a cowboy had with salt-and-pepper hair that was either long for a guy or short for a woman.  The person was at the age where it can get hard to tell without facial hair.  I took a stab and said, "how are you, ma'am?" 

I guessed right and she said, "cold tired and muddy.  I just cut you right off, didn't I?"

I said, "no problem, at all.  I've been cold, tired and muddy a time or two myself." (Gawd, I love being a Texan!)

Anyway, this is where government can actually show some leadership and do some good, without resorting to force.  Simply announce that all government contractors must use gender neutral pronouns, titles and honorifics in all correspondence with government.   It will catch on, since so many people's lives are entangled in government.

So, we don't have to stress out when we see a person who appears to be a biological male identifying as a female.  We just say, "howdy ________ ." and tip our hat if we were raised to.  If someone says, "my name is Smith, we don't have worry about offending that person by asking, "Mister or Miss?"  We don't have to worry about offending them by guessing wrong, either. 

As with weights and measures, good government can take the guesswork out of such situations. 
I use "it" when in doubt. When speaking to it in person, a simple "Howdy" is fine. Roll Eyes

It's just how I was taught, he, she or it.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2019 at 7:10am
Print Post  

You're an idiot.

And you're welcome ...

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2019 at 9:19am
Print Post  
Quote:
Not really.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2019 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Here's a list:

http://askanonbinary.tumblr.com/post/74544202338/list-of-pronouns

It looks like 'they' and 'it' are the only real words on the list. 'Thou' would be on it too I think, but almost no one still uses 'thou'... Maybe we could bring it back? What does thee think?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2019 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
So, we don't have to stress out when we see a person who appears to be a biological male identifying as a female.  We just say, "howdy ________ ." and tip our hat if we were raised to. 

Might I suggest Denizen of Spaceship Earth, or DoSE for short.

It's gender non-specific, and it's applicable to any person on the planet, no matter where they are from, or what their religious beliefs are.   Cool

Earthling could work just as well, but it sounds too 1950s!

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2019 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Feb 20th, 2019 at 3:08pm:
Might I suggest Denizen of Spaceship Earth, or DoSE for short.

It's gender non-specific, and it's applicable to any person on the planet, no matter where they are from, or what their religious beliefs are.   Cool

Earthling could work just as well, but it sounds too 1950s!

Great idea, DoSe Skychief!

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Feb 20th, 2019 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Feb 20th, 2019 at 3:12pm:
Great idea, DoSe Skychief!
Does that have a special plural form? Like Ladies or Gentlemen?

Since I'm male and not confused about it (not since I realized I wasn't really a black lesbian anyway), would people still please use 'he' when referring to me? I don't think I should have to sacrifice my own gender identity just to please others.

Anyone who want's to be referred to as vae better let me know up front, because I'm almost certain I don't know how to recognize a vae when I see one... Shoot, I can't even reliably tell when someone is just a normal queer.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Feb 20th, 2019 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Feb 20th, 2019 at 3:21pm:
Does that have a special plural form? Like Ladies or Gentlemen?

No. that's the beauty of it.

DoSE can mean Denizen of Spaceship Earth, OR Denizens of Spaceship Earth.     DoSE is both sigular AND plural.   Smiley

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Feb 20th, 2019 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Feb 20th, 2019 at 4:18pm:
No. that's the beauty of it.

DoSE can mean Denizen of Spaceship Earth, OR Denizens of Spaceship Earth.     DoSE is both sigular AND plural.   Smiley
That includes rats and lizards and spiders too then? Do they have the gender stuff going on too?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › We Badly Need New, Gender-neutral Honorifics and Pronouns
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy