Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Gold Standard as Orthodox Faith A Century Ago
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Gold Standard as Orthodox Faith A Century Ago (Read 564 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The Gold Standard as Orthodox Faith A Century Ago
Reply #10 - Mar 4th, 2019 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
BobK71 wrote on Mar 4th, 2019 at 12:31pm:
The elites were no more honest and arguably more brutal during the gold-standard days, in the West.  The interesting thing is the 180-degree change with regard to gold.
A gold or silver standard limited their ability to inflate the supply of money.

Perhaps they used to realize that having sound money gave their traders an advantage and brought more real wealth to their country, and knew that a wealthier economy meant they could extract more taxes?

For some period of time, they probably realized that debasing the money could get them deposed and hung?

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #11 - Mar 4th, 2019 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Mar 4th, 2019 at 11:48am:
"Gold is the money of kings; Silver is the money of gentlemen; Barter is the money of peasants; Debt is the money of slaves"

The US Dollar is representative of DEBT - or the money of slaves.   Gold and silver are representative of WEALTH.

We are all slaves to the Banks.   The elites want to keep it that way!    Smiley

"A dollar is a receipt for a claim check on an IOU." - Mike Maloney

Our fiat currency is certainly how government steals from the people and gets away with it so easily.  I've long advocated the Fed be destroyed.  It's the largest syndicate crime organization in the history of man.  I'm not sure what you mean by "slaves to the banks," can you explain?

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Mar 4th, 2019 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Mar 4th, 2019 at 1:43pm:
I'm not so sure they all supported it, but once they discovered they could get away with stealing all the gold and issuing fiat money, they loved the power and control that gave them.

Debt is the money of slaves.   Sad, but true.

Gold and silver are assets.... not liabilities.

IP Logged

BobK71

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Mar 7th, 2019 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
I wrote, "Why do you think, though, that every gold/silver standard in history failed?"

Jeff wrote on Mar 4th, 2019 at 1:39pm:
Governments destroyed them, because governments like to inflate the supply of money.

See, that's my point, if every government destroyed the gold or silver standard, does that not suggest there is something inherent in that system that encourages governments to destroy it?

Or, God forbid, the standard was erected precisely so the elites could abuse it?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Mar 8th, 2019 at 7:42am
Print Post  
BobK71 wrote on Mar 7th, 2019 at 1:28pm:
I wrote, "Why do you think, though, that every gold/silver standard in history failed?"

See, that's my point, if every government destroyed the gold or silver standard, does that not suggest there is something inherent in that system that encourages governments to destroy it?

Or, God forbid, the standard was erected precisely so the elites could abuse it?
That's an absurd circular argument Bob.

Government's don't like real money because it limits their power.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #15 - Mar 8th, 2019 at 8:44am
Print Post  
BobK71 wrote on Mar 7th, 2019 at 1:28pm:
if every government destroyed the gold or silver standard, does that not suggest there is something inherent in that system that encourages governments to destroy it?

I keep answering this question.  Yes.  It prevents government from stealing simply by printing money

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 11:42am
Print Post  
The intrinsic value of gold shouldn't be questioned  -  Countries are demanding their gold be returned.

Turkey, Germany, Romania, Venezuela, Austria, and others are repatriating their gold bullion.

China and Russia are stockpiling gold bullion.

Nobody knows what the next World Reserve Currency will be, but it's almost certain it will be backed by gold!

http://www.goldtelegraph.com/countries-around-the-world-have-begun-pulling-their...

"We have gold because we can not trust our governments." - President Herbert Hoover

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #17 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Mar 9th, 2019 at 11:42am:
The intrinsic value of gold shouldn't be questioned  -  Countries are demanding their gold be returned.

Turkey, Germany, Romania, Venezuela, Austria, and others are repatriating their gold bullion.

China and Russia are stockpiling gold bullion.

Nobody knows what the next World Reserve Currency will be, but it's almost certain it will be backed by gold!

http://www.goldtelegraph.com/rch-content/uploads/Screen-Shot-2018-06-12-at-1.38....

http://www.goldtelegraph.com/countries-around-the-world-have-begun-pulling-their...

"We have gold because we can not trust our governments." - President Herbert Hoover

Stockpiling gold and going to the gold standard are entirely different things. And you can't seriously believe that China, Russia, Turkey, Germany, Romania, Venezuela, Austria, "and others" are going to the gold standard.

If Germany say did go to the gold standard, I'd be entirely in favor of them becoming the international reserve standard currency.  But it's not going to happen

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Mar 9th, 2019 at 12:00pm:
Stockpiling gold and going to the gold standard are entirely different things. And you can't seriously believe that China, Russia, Turkey, Germany, Romania, Venezuela, Austria, "and others" are going to the gold standard.

Then why do you suppose there is such a rush to repatriate gold bullion?

I think it's because these countries know the US dollar's days as world reserve currency are numbered, and they don't want to be left without a seat when the music stops.

Soon, a new world reserve currency will emerge.  It will most likely be backed by something - probably gold.   

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #19 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Mar 9th, 2019 at 12:42pm:
Then why do you suppose there is such a rush to repatriate gold bullion?

Gold is a hedge against inflation.  You picked the most preposterous reason and said wow, that must be it.  Preposterous again because governments aren't going to take their own hands out of the cookie jar
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2019 at 5:05pm by kaz »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Gold Standard as Orthodox Faith A Century Ago
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy