Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › 1st, 2nd, Police Accountability Activist Arrested for Sex Assault
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 1st, 2nd, Police Accountability Activist Arrested for Sex Assault (Read 1462 times)
Little Big Man
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

1st, 2nd, Police Accountability Activist Arrested for Sex Assault
Feb 23rd, 2019 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
https://www.click2houston.com/news/new-evidence-leads-to-arrest-in-child-sex-ass...

He posts youtube under the name "News Now Houston."  Most of his videos consist of him video recording in public in ways intended to catch the attention of police so that he can refuse to cooperate with them, citing the law and court cases that say that he doesn't have to. 

He has been arrested a few times, for failure to give ID, or "obstruction," but mostly threatened with arrests that never happen once the officers' supervisors get involved and say that no, he doesn't have to ID or give his name.  He has "won" every case that has ever been brought against him for this.  Case dismissed, but he still took the ride in the bracelets.  He claims that he is standing up for a principle, but he does seem to be monetizing his vids.

He's had several run-ins with Deer Park Police (a city adjacent to Houston) in front of oil refineries with off-duty DPPD officers as paid security.  Now, Deer Park has found a person who accused him of assault in 2002, but never made a case due to no evidence.  He is also  on the sex offender registry from 1986, which reportedly is for a "Romeo and Juliet" type relationship that the parents of the girl objected to.

If this is a legitimate case and the police are getting a sex assault perpetrator off the street and in prison where he belongs, I gotta applaud them.  However, given that recently, he has been posting about HPD's botched drug raid in January of this year:

Goines is accused of lying on an affidavit used to get a no-knock warrant that led to the raid, which ended with four officers shot and the deaths of Dennis Tuttle, Rhogena Nicholas and their dog.

I have to wonder about the timing.  If this is retaliation against a citizen for reporting on police misconduct, some heads need to roll.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Re: 1st, 2nd, Police Accountability Activist Arrested for Sex Assault
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2019 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Feb 23rd, 2019 at 4:24pm:
https://www.click2houston.com/news/new-evidence-leads-to-arrest-in-child-sex-ass...

He posts youtube under the name "News Now Houston."  Most of his videos consist of him video recording in public in ways intended to catch the attention of police so that he can refuse to cooperate with them, citing the law and court cases that say that he doesn't have to. 

He has been arrested a few times, for failure to give ID, or "obstruction," but mostly threatened with arrests that never happen once the officers' supervisors get involved and say that no, he doesn't have to ID or give his name.  He has "won" every case that has ever been brought against him for this.  Case dismissed, but he still took the ride in the bracelets.  He claims that he is standing up for a principle, but he does seem to be monetizing his vids.

He's had several run-ins with Deer Park Police (a city adjacent to Houston) in front of oil refineries with off-duty DPPD officers as paid security.  Now, Deer Park has found a person who accused him of assault in 2002, but never made a case due to no evidence.  He is also  on the sex offender registry from 1986, which reportedly is for a "Romeo and Juliet" type relationship that the parents of the girl objected to.

If this is a legitimate case and the police are getting a sex assault perpetrator off the street and in prison where he belongs, I gotta applaud them.  However, given that recently, he has been posting about HPD's botched drug raid in January of this year:

Goines is accused of lying on an affidavit used to get a no-knock warrant that led to the raid, which ended with four officers shot and the deaths of Dennis Tuttle, Rhogena Nicholas and their dog.

I have to wonder about the timing.  If this is retaliation against a citizen for reporting on police misconduct, some heads need to roll.
It sounds as if it was he who engaged in the illegal acts that lead to the shooting. He absolutely should be held accountable.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2019 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
This is a fairly perfect example of freedom-lovers being the ones who want the freedom so they can abuse it.

Who has the most to gain from tying the hands of the police even more? Who has the most to gain from hoarding more and more rights until no one can touch them?

I absolutely believe in libertarianism the philosophy. Nothing can convince me that the NAP is wrong.

It's just that libertarianism the philosophy ends up attracting terrible people, because the terrible people benefit most by it.

People who don't break the law just don't care if they're recorded, or their privacy is invaded. The only reason they care is because of the manufactured reason: Absolutely everyone has said something on the internet that could get them fired. If everyone's words are exposed, no one will be fired, but if one person's words are exposed, they absolutely will be.

(See, this is a great use of singular they, which seems absolutely natural and logical to me in the context of the English language, but which my English professors all told me was wrong. Even social justice warriors sometimes say that singular they doesn't flow properly, but for me it always has.)

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2019 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Feb 23rd, 2019 at 6:39pm:
This is a fairly perfect example of freedom-lovers being the ones who want the freedom so they can abuse it.

Who has the most to gain from tying the hands of the police even more? Who has the most to gain from hoarding more and more rights until no one can touch them?

That's pitiful lizard.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2019 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
People who don't break the law just don't care if they're recorded, or their privacy is invaded.
Yes we do.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2019 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Nothing can convince me that the NAP is wrong

Burnsred argues NAP is wrong every time his mother wants to put him down for one.

You don't believe it's wrong because you don't understand it.  I believe we should follow NAP to the extent that we can.  But only having voluntary law enforcement and not having roads is absurd

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2019 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 24th, 2019 at 9:52am:
Burnsred argues NAP is wrong every time his mother wants to put him down for one.

You don't believe it's wrong because you don't understand it.  I believe we should follow NAP to the extent that we can.  But only having voluntary law enforcement and not having roads is absurd

It's not absurd, it's just absurdly burdensome.

And it creates a shitty world with a lot of crime. The people unprotected by private security companies would be fair game, meaning large criminal organisations would spring up around this resource.

I still believe the NAP is right, and I very much understand it. As I've said, this puts me in an awkward position.

This is not very much different than being starving and being forced to steal or kill for food. There's the thing that keeps you alive (analogous to government force for police that protect all) and then there's the nobler decision to accept worse consequences but do the right thing.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2019 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Feb 24th, 2019 at 12:12pm:
It's not absurd, it's just absurdly burdensome.

And it creates a shitty world with a lot of crime. The people unprotected by private security companies would be fair game, meaning large criminal organisations would spring up around this resource.

I still believe the NAP is right, and I very much understand it. As I've said, this puts me in an awkward position.

This is not very much different than being starving and being forced to steal or kill for food. There's the thing that keeps you alive (analogous to government force for police that protect all) and then there's the nobler decision to accept worse consequences but do the right thing.

God put us here to learn how to cope with gray, not to ignore it.

Tip, when you're harming people, you aren't doing the right thing ...

And before you ask, no, I don't mean hyperbolic extreme of that

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2019 at 1:50pm
Print Post  

It's a very good principle to not initiate aggression. In fact our laws embody the principle by punishing (or requiring restitution from) people who do initiate aggression.

If you are in an awkward position, it's because you put yourself there. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2019 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
If you ever happen to be starving, try asking for help before you start killing people and stealing their food. Maybe you won't have to violate the NAP that way? Maybe someone will help you?

OK, probably not. People aren't usually charitably inclined toward evil sociopaths...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › 1st, 2nd, Police Accountability Activist Arrested for Sex Assault
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy