Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › I Agree Never to Sue Anyone - Make it Official!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic I Agree Never to Sue Anyone - Make it Official! (Read 234 times)
The Opposition
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

I Agree Never to Sue Anyone - Make it Official!
Feb 24th, 2019 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
I agree never to sue anyone... so make it official.

All I'm asking for is a patch or a chip or something that formalises my commitment never to use the civil law system, so people can see it. I'll even pay the full cost of it, but make it as secure as possible.

I believe the free market will benefit me immensely for doing this. There are a billion and one business ideas that can't be done simply because it would be too easy to sue the business. Well, now they can be done - for green patches only.

With these patches (or chips, or whatever) businesses would save money. Slip-and-falls and the like cost them a certain amount of money, and if they can see who's got patches, and reward those customers, increasing the percentage business they get from them, they can ultimately save a lot of money.

Instead of one person taking a million dollars from a business and all the other customers eventually fitting the bill, that million dollars could be spent improving service for all.

And what about the cost of keeping lawyers on staff? Well, companies that served and hired green patches only wouldn't have that expense. They could pay employees more and charge customers less.

...All because that one litigious person didn't get a massive windfall. And it's not like this idea denies him anything. Businesses have a right to refuse him service. If everyone else decides to declare, legally and honestly, that they're not that guy, it leaves him in a much worse position but no one has done him any wrong.

In fact, there would still be plenty of businesses he could patronize. Their products will just be more expensive.

In short, civil law is a massive welfare pool designed to force everyone to pay for some idiot's windfall, so bloodsucking lawyers can have jobs. If allowed to opt out of this, I don't believe anyone would stay in except those few dirty scumbags used to slip-and-falling for a living. And if you can know who they are, simply because everyone else is allowed to legally declare they're not them, some people won't serve them.

If I die to your poisoned can of corn, that's murder. Don't poison people. Poisoning people is murder. If I merely get sick, oh well. Too bad. I chose to have a green patch.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Re: I Agree Never to Sue Anyone - Make it Official!
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2019 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Feb 24th, 2019 at 12:40pm:

All I'm asking for is a patch or a chip or something that formalises my commitment never to use the civil law system, so people can see it. I'll even pay the full cost of it, but make it as secure as possible.

I believe the free market will benefit me immensely for doing this. There are a billion and one business ideas that can't be done simply because it would be too easy to sue the business. Well, now they can be done - for green patches only.

With these patches (or chips, or whatever) businesses would save money. Slip-and-falls and the like cost them a certain amount of money, and if they can see who's got patches, and reward those customers, increasing the percentage business they get from them, they can ultimately save a lot of money.

Instead of one person taking a million dollars from a business and all the other customers eventually fitting the bill, that million dollars could be spent improving service for all.

And what about the cost of keeping lawyers on staff? Well, companies that served and hired green patches only wouldn't have that expense. They could pay employees more and charge customers less.

...All because that one litigious person didn't get a massive windfall. And it's not like this idea denies him anything. Businesses have a right to refuse him service. If everyone else decides to declare, legally and honestly, that they're not that guy, it leaves him in a much worse position but no one has done him any wrong.

In fact, there would still be plenty of businesses he could patronize. Their products will just be more expensive.

In short, civil law is a massive welfare pool designed to force everyone to pay for some idiot's windfall, so bloodsucking lawyers can have jobs. If allowed to opt out of this, I don't believe anyone would stay in except those few dirty scumbags used to slip-and-falling for a living. And if you can know who they are, simply because everyone else is allowed to legally declare they're not them, some people won't serve them.

If I die to your poisoned can of corn, that's murder. Don't poison people. Poisoning people is murder. If I merely get sick, oh well. Too bad. I chose to have a green patch.

Suing people who defraud you is part of free markets, not contrary to them

#fail

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2019 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 24th, 2019 at 1:52pm:
Suing people who defraud you is part of free markets, not contrary to them

#fail

Never said it wasn't. Somebody didn't read.

...Like, you didn't read even the thread title.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2019 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Feb 24th, 2019 at 12:40pm:

I think the courts will call that an unenforceable contract and let you sue anyway...

You want the government to implant a chip in your body somewhere to verify your absurd promise? Will everyone have to get one?

If the Sack gets drunk and runs off the road into your house, demolishing your shanty (for which you have no insurance and neither does the Sack because that's aggression), you'll just shrug it off? That's swell!

Note: I only read the thread title. Smiley

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2019 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Feb 24th, 2019 at 1:54pm:
Never said it wasn't. Somebody didn't read.

...Like, you didn't read even the thread title.

You're arguing that people being able to sue for fraud costs the economy money.  It doesn't. No one would spend all the research money for technology, drugs, automobiles or anything else if it can be stolen. 

I clearly did respond to your OP and thread title.  If you just said you're going to accept getting screwed, then you'd have a point.  But you didn't, you argued the system.  And you're wrong

#fail

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2019 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 24th, 2019 at 2:38pm:
You're arguing that people being able to sue for fraud costs the economy money.  It doesn't. No one would spend all the research money for technology, drugs, automobiles or anything else if it can be stolen.

I never said crime - like theft and murder - should be a part of this. In fact I said otherwise. Stealing is theft. Any form of stealing not in the criminal realm should be in the criminal realm.

Suing costs the economy money with every frivolous lawsuit, and even if it isn't won, the cost to defend against it.

kaz wrote on Feb 24th, 2019 at 2:38pm:
I clearly did respond to your OP and thread title.  If you just said you're going to accept getting screwed, then you'd have a point.  But you didn't, you argued the system.  And you're wrong

#fail

Alright, then I'm just going to accept getting screwed.

I'm also going to associate preferentially with others who are going to accept getting screwed.

What I believe will happen ≠ what will necessarily happen.

What you believe will happen isn't necessarily what will happen either. For all you know I will reap a benefit.

I just want the option.

-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2019 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Feb 24th, 2019 at 4:37pm:
I just want the option.
You've got it. Don't ever file a suit at law unless you want to. Smiley

BTW, I've still read almost nothing but the thread title! Grin

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2019 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
I'm also going to associate preferentially with others who are going to accept getting screwed.
I feel that will work well for you. Smiley

Great idea! Have fun. Don't be surprised if someone you screw changes their mind and sues you.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2019 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
For all you know I will reap a benefit.

From hanging around with people who've accepted getting screwed? What benefit might you expect?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › I Agree Never to Sue Anyone - Make it Official!
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy