Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Wow. Maryland Sheriff Will Not Enforce Gun Confiscation Laws
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Wow. Maryland Sheriff Will Not Enforce Gun Confiscation Laws (Read 412 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Wow. Maryland Sheriff Will Not Enforce Gun Confiscation Laws
Mar 5th, 2019 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Wicomico County Sheriff Mike Lewis has stated that he and his deputies absolutely will not comply with Maryland representatives' "pretended legislation" of long gun licensing and gun confiscation "laws."

"We’re gonna let them know that we are sick and tired of being penalized for Baltimore City’s inability to control crime.   If these bills pass, we will not comply."

https://freedomoutpost.com/maryland-sheriff-mike-lewis-we-will-not-comply-on-gun...

Good on ya, Sheriff Mike!   Smiley

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Wow. Maryland Sheriff Will Not Enforce Gun Confiscation Laws
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2019 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
My state's Constitution guarantees the right of the people to keep and bear arms, including the right to carry openly and concealed unless the legislature passes laws against concealed carry, which the legislature is constitutionally granted the power to do. That is the only power granted to the legislature on the subject, to ban concealed carry if they see fit. They have seen fit to allow concealed carry for law abiding citizens, with the Sheriffs doing vetting to keep criminals from getting permits... Which doesn't keep them from getting guns.

Our Sheriffs are bound by oath to defend the State Constitution, so they would be upholding  the law to ignore any law that banned gun ownership unless the Constitution is first amended to remove our right to bear arms.

Many states are like that. Maryland might be one.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 7:48am
Print Post  
I posted this link before Chief. I guess you missed it...

https://reason.com/archives/2019/03/04/defiance-will-kneecap-new-mexico-gun-law?...

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 7:58am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Mar 5th, 2019 at 7:07pm:
Wicomico County Sheriff Mike Lewis has stated that he and his deputies absolutely will not comply with Maryland representatives' "pretended legislation" of long gun licensing and gun confiscation "laws."

"We’re gonna let them know that we are sick and tired of being penalized for Baltimore City’s inability to control crime.   If these bills pass, we will not comply."

https://freedomoutpost.com/maryland-sheriff-mike-lewis-we-will-not-comply-on-gun...

Good on ya, Sheriff Mike!   Smiley

It's what happens when the government doesn't have the consent of the people.  I realize no one on the board knows that that means, but it's the core problem, the basis of classic liberalism and thus of our country.  The problem isn't the sheriff, I'm not saying that at all

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 8:18am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Mar 6th, 2019 at 7:58am:
It's what happens when the government doesn't have the consent of the people.  I realize no one on the board knows that that means, but it's the core problem, the basis of classic liberalism and thus of our country.
I think I understand consent of the governed pretty well... Obviously you think I don't, so how about explaining what you think it means.

Wait, you already did, you said (I think) 'When most people agree with what the government does, then the government has consent to do whatever it did.'

I hope I have misunderstood you and that you will clarify your understanding. Thanks.

Edit: In the instant case, the resistance of the Sheriffs (and the people who elected them) comes, I think, from a realization that the government has exceeded it's grant of power and is trampling on fundamental rights.

We consented to a form of government granted certain limited powers and tasked with protecting our rights.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 11:27am
Print Post  
...The problem isn't the sheriff, I'm not saying that at all

Of course the problem is not the sheriff.   

The sheriff took an oath, and swore to uphold and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

He knows that ALL gun confiscation laws are in direct violation of the 2nd A.    They infringe on the rights of citizens to keep and bear arms, which the 2A explicitly prohibits.

The domestic enemies are the progressive lawmakers who ignore the 2A. 

Another domestic enemy is the Supreme Court who looks the other way when laws are passed which infringe on on the rights of citizens to keep and bear arms.

The same Supreme Court that looked the other way when W signed the PATRIOT Act in Oct 2001.  The Act was in direct violation of the 4th Amendmnet.    SCOTUS pretended not to notice.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #6 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Mar 6th, 2019 at 11:27am:
Of course the problem is not the sheriff.   

The sheriff took an oath, and swore to uphold and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

He knows that ALL gun confiscation laws are in direct violation of the 2nd A.    They infringe on the rights of citizens to keep and bear arms, which the 2A explicitly prohibits.

The domestic enemies are the progressive lawmakers who ignore the 2A. 

Another domestic enemy is the Supreme Court who looks the other way when laws are passed which infringe on on the rights of citizens to keep and bear arms.

The same Supreme Court that looked the other way when W signed the PATRIOT Act in Oct 2001.  The Act was in direct violation of the 4th Amendmnet.    SCOTUS pretended not to notice.

That's just the beginning.  New London was in violation of the fifth, so called campaign finance reform was in violation of the first.  Obamacare, social security, medicare, medicaid and our whole social "safety net" violate the 9th and 10th.  What amendment haven't the SCOTUS ignored?  Quartering troops?

I keep pointing out that three branches of government are not a check and balance because they have the same incentive, growth in Federal government power.  It's like having the Patriots linebackers responsible for making the holding calls on the Patriot's offensive line

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Mar 7th, 2019 at 7:12am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Mar 6th, 2019 at 5:03pm:
I keep pointing out that three branches of government are not a check and balance because they have the same incentive, growth in Federal government power.
Yes, the 17th Amendment is critical. The Senate is supposed to be opposing increases in federal power in order to protect state powers.

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Mar 7th, 2019 at 10:33am
Print Post  
It's what happens when the government doesn't have the consent of the people.  I realize no one on the board knows that that means, but it's the core problem, the basis of classic liberalism and thus of our country.  The problem isn't the sheriff, I'm not saying that at all

I have to agree with you that no one on the board knows what consent of the governed means.  But not for the reason you think.

No one knows what it means to "consent" when one has a gun to one's head.

At least you can articulate a way to measure consent.  You say that it is a super majority.  I give you credit for at least saying WTTE of ~super-majority rules.~  Jeff clearly believes that it is ~majority rules~ and nothing else that shows consent, but he would rather eat concrete than admit it.

My issue with majority or super majority is that the phrase is "consent of the governed" and not "consent of most of the governed." 

Truth is that as long as government is defined as "the entity that has the power to tax," consent of the governed is impossible.  Notice if a neighbor complains about the poor service they get at a restaurant, we never ask, "did you consent to eat there?"  Consent is obvious when people voluntarily pay for services.

I'm not convinced that even a super majority has a right to impose a phony consent on people for their own good.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Mar 7th, 2019 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Mar 7th, 2019 at 10:33am:
...No one knows what it means to "consent" when one has a gun to one's head...

Smiley     Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Wow. Maryland Sheriff Will Not Enforce Gun Confiscation Laws
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy