Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Sen. Rand Paul Objects To Mandatory Vaccinations
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sen. Rand Paul Objects To Mandatory Vaccinations (Read 255 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Sen. Rand Paul Objects To Mandatory Vaccinations
Mar 6th, 2019 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Yesterday (March 5th), KY. Sen. Rand Paul stunned a Senate hearing room by declaring vaccination requirements are at odds with liberty.  He said he was not a 'fan of government coercion'.

"It is wrong to say that there are no risks to vaccines.  Even the government admits that children are sometimes injured by vaccines.  I still don't favor giving up on liberty for a false sense of security."

Sen. Bill Cassidy of Louisiana scolded Sen. Paul:

"If you're such a believer in liberty that you should not be vaccinated, there should be consequences if you infect others."

https://www.salon.com/2019/03/05/sen-rand-paul-does-not-think-the-government-sho...

I agree with Dr. Paul.  I recall getting sick after being vaccinated.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Sen. Rand Paul Objects To Mandatory Vaccinations
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Mar 6th, 2019 at 12:05pm:
Yesterday (March 5th), KY. Sen. Rand Paul stunned a Senate hearing room by declaring vaccination requirements are at odds with liberty.  He said he was not a 'fan of government coercion'.

"It is wrong to say that there are no risks to vaccines.  Even the government admits that children are sometimes injured by vaccines.  I still don't favor giving up on liberty for a false sense of security."

"If you're such a believer in liberty that you should not be vaccinated, there should be consequences if you infect others."

https://www.salon.com/2019/03/05/sen-rand-paul-does-not-think-the-government-sho...

Several childhood diseases that were virtually eradicated in the U.S. are making a comeback. They were eradicated because of mandatory vaccinations, required before your child could enter school.

People are probably hoping that kids start getting polio again...

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Mar 6th, 2019 at 12:05pm:

I knew a Persian guy who had polio and had to wear braces the rest of his life and walk on a crutch.  I bet he wished he'd been forced to have a polio shot.

I hope you aren't subjecting your kids to that risk.

I theoretically see your point, but don't give a shit.  This is exactly why I've been talking about my Epiphany that libertarians and I may have the same policies but are nothing alike.  I want to actually in the real world live in liberty, not die in theoretical purity

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Mar 6th, 2019 at 5:16pm:
I hope you aren't subjecting your kids to that risk.
Our kids are adults,  but they got their gov't mandated vaccinations.

I theoretically see your point, but don't give a shit.  This is exactly why I've been talking about my Epiphany that libertarians and I may have the same policies but are nothing alike.  I want to actually in the real world live in liberty, not die in theoretical purity
Ya, it basically comes down to principles trumping policy.

I think Sen. Paul is saying that parents should have a right to decide if their child(ren) is vaccinated or not.

Just like a Jahovah Witness can refuse a blood transfusion for a child that will bleed to death without one.

He opposes any coercion by gov't, regardless of good intentions.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Mar 6th, 2019 at 5:35pm:
Our kids are adults,  but they got their gov't mandated vaccinations.

Ya, it basically comes down to principles trumping policy.

I think Sen. Paul is saying that parents should have a right to decide if their child(ren) is vaccinated or not.

Just like a Jahovah Witness can refuse a blood transfusion for a child that will bleed to death without one.

He opposes any coercion by gov't, regardless of good intentions.

Yes, we're saying the same thing.  My goal with being a libertarian is to actually live my flesh and blood life better.  To focus on the big issues actually reducing my quality of life and fight them and try to win.  Winning in theoretical freedom while wearing physical chains doesn't do it for me.  Yes, theoretically we should all be free to decide on vaccination.  Fighting for the right to not have a vaccination then getting one anyway because it was stupid not to is meaningless to me.

Have you ever actually known someone who had polio like I have?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Mar 6th, 2019 at 5:42pm:
Fighting for the right to not have a vaccination then getting one anyway because it was stupid not to is meaningless to me.
Fair enough.   It's meaningful to me and Rand Paul.   We know how dangerous the slippery slope becomes when progressives are in charge. 

They mandate one thing, nobody balks, so they go a little further and mandate something a little more daring.  And so it goes until one day gov't decides to make it mandatory for everyone to have RFID chips implanted so they can monitor your movements.

You might complain, but they will laugh and say "Quit complaining, kaz - it's for your own good! - Big Brother knows what's best for you."

kaz wrote on Mar 6th, 2019 at 5:42pm:
Have you ever actually known someone who had polio like I have?
No.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
It bothers me that they're pushing for the vaccinations to be mandatory. It's not like government hasn't drugged people before. Some people even say fluoride is an example.

I don't think they are putting in any poison designed to affect brain development and reduce kids' IQs by 20 points apiece and make them docile, but at the same time I don't trust them not to do that.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #7 - Mar 7th, 2019 at 6:30am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Mar 6th, 2019 at 6:41pm:
Fair enough.   It's meaningful to me and Rand Paul.   We know how dangerous the slippery slope becomes when progressives are in charge. 

They mandate one thing, nobody balks, so they go a little further and mandate something a little more daring.  And so it goes until one day gov't decides to make it mandatory for everyone to have RFID chips implanted so they can monitor your movements.

You might complain, but they will laugh and say "Quit complaining, kaz - it's for your own good! - Big Brother knows what's best for you."

No.

As I keep saying, you're obsessing on the color scheme of the drapes while the house is burning.  That doesn't make you wrong about the drapes, but it means your priorities are wonky.

Sounding like you care more about ideological purity than the health and welfare of your kids doesn't get a bravo from anyone who isn't already in the 1% of anarchists who are 1% of libertarians who already agree with you

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Mar 7th, 2019 at 7:25am
Print Post  
Most libertarians generally agree with you kaz.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Mar 7th, 2019 at 7:30am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Mar 6th, 2019 at 6:41pm:

You have a point, and it's a good one, but it doesn't mean it makes sense to argue against speed limits on residential streets because they impinge on individual liberty. All that does is marginalize libertarians and make people turn away from all of our ideas.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Sen. Rand Paul Objects To Mandatory Vaccinations
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy