Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Morality Vs. Practicality
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Morality Vs. Practicality (Read 656 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Morality Vs. Practicality
Reply #10 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Mar 8th, 2019 at 9:14pm:
Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it one.
How about changing "won't" to "shouldn't"?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Mar 8th, 2019 at 5:05pm:
Wow, Jeff making up definitions really bugs you, huh?
Any time you think I've created my own definition, please let me know kaz.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Mar 9th, 2019 at 10:50am:
That's funny.  People accuse me of a lot of things, but lack of intelligence isn't one of them.

Why don't you actually act as if the insults you spew at me are correct and then think about what he means?

Maybe because you know they're not correct. If you actually believed you were right about me obviously being stone stupid, you would never have any problem whatsoever with what Burnsy just said.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #13 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Mar 9th, 2019 at 3:06pm:
Why don't you actually act as if the insults you spew at me are correct and then think about what he means?

Maybe because you know they're not correct. If you actually believed you were right about me obviously being stone stupid, you would never have any problem whatsoever with what Burnsy just said.

I'll make you a deal.  Stop reading my sentences as if you're stupid and can't read and I won't call you stupid

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote Today at 9:33am:
Quote:
When Oppo and Kaz, both ends of the intellectual spectrum, agree that I'm wrong, I have to concede.

That's funny.  People accuse me of a lot of things, but lack of intelligence isn't  one of them.  [/quote]

Yet, you immediately assumed (correctly) that it was you I placed on the lower end of spectrum and not Oppo.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Mar 9th, 2019 at 3:23pm:
I'll make you a deal.  Stop reading my sentences as if you're stupid and can't read and I won't call you stupid

Fine, I'll stop trying to dig deeper.

You have to know this is what I'm doing. I have to pick everything apart until I come to the first principles - first assumptions - or it doesn't mean jack shit to me. It's like a line of code without a language, or numbers without a mathematical field of operations on which to operate.

If you tell me seven, seven is the answer, I am going to want to know what you did to get seven. Did you add three and four? Did you take the root of 49? I'll just accept it's seven if you like but it means nothing to me. I have the solution to one equation - one situation. Whoop-dee-frelling-do. The likelihood that situation will occur in exactly the same way again, with exactly the same variables, is nil, unless the whole damn universe is on repeat. So I've got the solution to precisely nothing.

So instead of chastising me for going to extremes, why can't you accept that when I ask, "Does this mean that?" I am being genuine? I do not know what you are going to think is extreme. I'm willing to just not ask if you're sick of me asking, though.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 6:54am
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Mar 8th, 2019 at 8:37am:
This seems to be the root of most of the debate between statists and libertarians on the board.  The libertarians ask the statists to justify their stance morallly and the statists ignore that request and talk about the many practical benefits of more government (than libertarians want).

But it only seems that way.  In actual fact, libertarianism is far more practical than statism.  It is not practical at all for successful people to be forced to send their children to inferior government schools on the justification that then the children of the poor can also go to inferior schools.  The children of the successful need good schools not inferior ones and the children of the poor, if anything,need superior schools.  Inferior schools will do more harm than good for that population.  The superior schools might be provided by charitable foundations,businesses, and churches, but never by government.

It is completely impractical for me to be forced to pay money I worked for so that government will take care of people who are unable to work.  Because that will always lead to government also taking care of people who choose not to work.

It is practical for the free market to operate without taxes and without regulations so that government can offer services to voluntary consumers of that service.  Anyone who understands the free market knows that this is the best way to provide high quality services of any kind.  It is impractical to tax me to provide police in neighborhoods in which the people (often rightfully) fear police more than criminals.

Etc.
Allowing people to be free is moral, tyrannizing them is not.

On a practical level, individual liberty produces all sorts of different results for individuals and so does tyranny.

In general, a free economy will always outproduce a planned economy, but people who think an equal distribution of less (which never actually happens because the people making the decisions about distribution always get rich) is more moral will claim that a free economy is immoral.

Basically, morality v. practicality is apples and oranges.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #17 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 9:25am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Mar 9th, 2019 at 6:59pm:
Fine, I'll stop trying to dig deeper.

You have to know this is what I'm doing. I have to pick everything apart until I come to the first principles - first assumptions - or it doesn't mean jack shit to me. It's like a line of code without a language, or numbers without a mathematical field of operations on which to operate.

If you tell me seven, seven is the answer, I am going to want to know what you did to get seven. Did you add three and four? Did you take the root of 49? I'll just accept it's seven if you like but it means nothing to me. I have the solution to one equation - one situation. Whoop-dee-frelling-do. The likelihood that situation will occur in exactly the same way again, with exactly the same variables, is nil, unless the whole damn universe is on repeat. So I've got the solution to precisely nothing.

So instead of chastising me for going to extremes, why can't you accept that when I ask, "Does this mean that?" I am being genuine? I do not know what you are going to think is extreme. I'm willing to just not ask if you're sick of me asking, though.

You don't "dig deeper."  You jump to a hyperbolic extreme and then just keep arguing the hyperbolic extreme.

It's not just that though.  You really don't read well

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 10:35am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Mar 9th, 2019 at 6:59pm:
So instead of chastising me for going to extremes, why can't you accept that when I ask, "Does this mean that?" I am being genuine?
If you wouldn't say things like "The NAP forbids self defense", it would be easier to take your questions seriously.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Mar 10th, 2019 at 9:25am:
You don't "dig deeper."  You jump to a hyperbolic extreme and then just keep arguing the hyperbolic extreme.

It's not just that though.  You really don't read well

I can't stop considering Kaz's idea of what's extreme unless I read your mind. The best I can do is stop at the first instance of you declaring something extreme.

-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Morality Vs. Practicality
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy