Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › My Definition of Government
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic My Definition of Government (Read 120 times)
Little Big Man
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

My Definition of Government
Mar 8th, 2019 at 10:52am
Print Post  
I have often chided Jeff for making up his own definitions of words and then getting mad when people don't understand him or don't use the words in the same way.  I just realized I am guilty of the same thing when it comes to government.  I use a slightly different definition that I think is more valid than the usual ones, which are:

"Those who have the monopoly on the legitimate use of force."  Worst definition ever, but it seems to have currency.  All people have a legitimate right to use force for self defense and no legitimate use of force for any other purpose. 

"The elected representatives of the people."  Unworkable.  People good at running election campaigns are rarely good at administration or creating laws.  So they turn that power over to bureaucrats who become the real government.  Happens every time.

My definition is this:

"The people who perform the services that are either best performed or traditionally performed by government."  Admittedly that definition is somewhat circular.  But nearly all the logic that justifies government is circular, so a circular definition may be the only one that comes close to being descriptive.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Re: My Definition of Government
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2019 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Mar 8th, 2019 at 10:52am:
"The people who perform the services that are either best performed or traditionally performed by government."  Admittedly that definition is somewhat circular.  But nearly all the logic that justifies government is circular, so a circular definition may be the only one that comes close to being descriptive.

Surely you realise that definition would basically define FedEx as the government, as long as the Post Office does better.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2019 at 11:27am
Print Post  

Little Big Man wrote Today at 10:52am:

The Opposition wrote on Mar 8th, 2019 at 11:18am:
Surely you realise that definition would basically define FedEx as the government, as long as the Post Office does better.

Your point is well taken.  However, I would contend that rather than include FedEx, my definition actually excludes the postal service under the first test, since FedEx only exists because it was so easy to perform that service better than the government delivery service does.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2019 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Mar 8th, 2019 at 10:52am:
I have often chided Jeff for making up his own definitions of words and then getting mad when people don't understand him or don't use the words in the same way

Like consent of the governed?  No wait, that's you.

Like statist?  No, that's you too.

Like you don't believe in taxes but you're not an anarchist?  Crap, you too.

Like force, NAP and aggression?  Wait, you, you and you.

That must be hard for you when Jeff makes up his own definition for words ...

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › My Definition of Government
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy