Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarian Hopefuls For 2020 LNC Nomination
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Libertarian Hopefuls For 2020 LNC Nomination (Read 1330 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian Hopefuls For 2020 LNC Nomination
Apr 1st, 2019 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
So far there are three (in no particular order):

Adam Kokesh

Arvin Vohra

John McAfee

There's a better than 50/50 chance that Republican Bill Weld might join the fray - he's been making numerous appearances at state Libertarian Party conventions this year.   

Hey - if Weld didn't plan on running as a Libertarian candidate, why would he be seeking all the exposure?

brief thoughts:

Adam Kokesh is great on anti-war/anti MIC policy, but also a self-proclaimed anarchist.  Moderates are a little spooked by him.

"When elected, I will swear in, walk to the White House, and sign one executive order. This executive order will lay out the process for dissolving the federal government in a peaceful, orderly manner."

John McAfee.   Trounced Gary Johnson in the 2016 Libertarian Party debates.  But people are scared of McAfee because he allegedly shot and killed his neighbor in Belize.     No help there. 

Arvin Vohra vows to:

• Eliminate FDA
• Eliminate DoE
• Abolish PATRIOT Act
• Cut federal spending to 1992 levels
• Withdraw all US troops fighting foreign civil wars.   Close (most) overseas US Military Bases/installations
• End crop subsidies.

That's a start.  Would like to see IRS abolished.  That would cinch it for me.

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Libertarian Hopefuls For 2020 LNC Nomination
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Justin Amash might throw his hat into the libertarian ring.  He recently walked away from the Republican Party and became Independent.

"I feel like I talk about Justin Amash more than I do about myself," Libertarian candidate Kim Ruff said.

Justin Amash has until May 21, 2020 (when the L.P. National Convention kicks off) to make up his mind.

Amash is openly anti-Trump:

"Donald Trump is a threat to liberty in America. He has grown government, centralized power, and undermined rights. He has promoted division and contempt. He appears increasingly unstable. In 2020, we must elect someone who will restore respect for our Constitution and each other."

Amash on Gun Control:

"As the Founders recognized, the right of the people to keep and bear arms is the surest safeguard against violations of our liberty. We must defend the Second Amendment just as vigorously as the rest of the United States Constitution. Congress must halt the unconstitutional practice of restricting a person's ability to purchase, transport, store, or possess arms on public lands or on that individual's private property under the guise of regulating interstate commerce."

https://reason.com/2019/09/16/will-justin-amash-run-for-president-as-a-libertari...

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Apr 1st, 2019 at 2:54pm:
So far there are three (in no particular order):

Adam Kokesh

Arvin Vohra

John McAfee

There's a better than 50/50 chance that Republican Bill Weld might join the fray - he's been making numerous appearances at state Libertarian Party conventions this year.   

Hey - if Weld didn't plan on running as a Libertarian candidate, why would he be seeking all the exposure?

brief thoughts:

Adam Kokesh is great on anti-war/anti MIC policy, but also a self-proclaimed anarchist.  Moderates are a little spooked by him.

"When elected, I will swear in, walk to the White House, and sign one executive order. This executive order will lay out the process for dissolving the federal government in a peaceful, orderly manner."

John McAfee.   Trounced Gary Johnson in the 2016 Libertarian Party debates.  But people are scared of McAfee because he allegedly shot and killed his neighbor in Belize.     No help there. 

Arvin Vohra vows to:

• Eliminate FDA
• Eliminate DoE
• Abolish PATRIOT Act
• Cut federal spending to 1992 levels
• Withdraw all US troops fighting foreign civil wars.   Close (most) overseas US Military Bases/installations
• End crop subsidies.

That's a start.  Would like to see IRS abolished.  That would cinch it for me.
Arvin sounds good... What's his current name recognition? Close to zero?

"At the end of January 2017 the party hit its highest membership number of this decade, 18,908. That number dropped 24 percent to 14,321 as of the end of August (That number is still substantially larger than any other year-end figure for this decade.)"

https://reason.com/2017/09/15/the-libertarian-partys-paid-membership-n

"The Libertarian Party (L.P.) had many successes during and after Gary Johnson's 2016 run for president. Most prominent was Johnson's record-busting 4.46 million votes. Revenue to the national party last year hit an over-a-decade high of around $2.5 million. And registered voters for the L.P. hit an all-time high of over half a million."

My point? Amash comes across in media much better than Johnson, and he's already well known.

As an aside, I think the Teamsters Union alone gave more than $2.5 million to try to help elect Hillary.

The Teamsters are unlikely to have any idea where that money went. Angry

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 11:28am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Apr 1st, 2019 at 2:54pm:
John McAfee But people are scared of McAfee because he allegedly shot and killed his neighbor in Belize.     No help there. 

Chief, he is a SHITLOAD worse than you know.  He is 99% of the reason why I don't want to have anything to do with the Libertarian Party.

Watch this:

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Sep 17th, 2019 at 11:28am:
Chief, he is a SHITLOAD worse than you know.  He is 99% of the reason why I don't want to have anything to do with the Libertarian Party.
Mc Afee soundly beat Gary Johnson in the Libertarian Presidential Debates hosted by John Stossel in 2016.  Yes, he a has a colorful history.

Mc Afee built eight airports in New Mexico and Arizona.    He has my respect.  I probably wouldn't vote for him, though.

Unfortunately some really good libertarians have refused to run on the Libertarian ticket in 2020;

Bill Weld, Austin Petersen, Rand Paul, Larry Sharpe, et al.

Justin Amash looks promising.  I hope he joins the fray.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 17th, 2019 at 12:06pm:
Mc Afee soundly beat Gary Johnson in the Libertarian Presidential Debates hosted by John Stossel in 2016.
Which proves he's better at public debate.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 17th, 2019 at 12:06pm:
Justin Amash looks promising.  I hope he joins the fray.
Me too, partly because, like Gary Johnson, he has a record in government service. Smiley

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 17th, 2019 at 2:37pm:
Which proves he's better at public debate.
Which proves he's more libertarian than Gary Johnson.

Those were the debates when Johnson shocked the audience (AND his 2 opponents) by saying that the government should have the power to force the baker to bake the gay wedding cake.

NOT libertarian!   Angry

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 17th, 2019 at 2:40pm:
Which proves he's more libertarian than Gary Johnson.

Those were the debates when Johnson shocked the audience (AND his 2 opponents) by saying that the government should have the power to force the baker to bake the gay wedding cake.

NOT libertarian!   Angry
Libertarians do want gay people who are getting married to be able to buy wedding cakes.

Johnson had a very good record as a two term governor., he's just not good at thinking on his feet in public forums. He made a mistake. He misspoke... That wasn't the entire debate was it? One question?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 17th, 2019 at 2:45pm:
Libertarians do want gay people who are getting married to be able to buy wedding cakes.
Stop acting obtuse.

You know very well that's not the issue. 

The issue is that the government should never have the power to force a business to do something that violates their religious or moral principles.   It's a fundamental 1st Amendment issue.

And Johnson completely got it wrong.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarian Hopefuls For 2020 LNC Nomination
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy