Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarian Hopefuls For 2020 LNC Nomination
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Libertarian Hopefuls For 2020 LNC Nomination (Read 1837 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Libertarian Hopefuls For 2020 LNC Nomination
Reply #10 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 17th, 2019 at 2:51pm:
Stop acting obtuse.

You know very well that's not the issue. 

The issue is that the government should never have the power to force a business to do something that violates their religious or moral principles.   It's a fundamental 1st Amendment issue.

And Johnson completely got it wrong.
Yes, he did.

Anyway, the LNC says they don't want to run another ex-Republican, so Amash is out. Cry Edit: Sorry, it was Kokesh who said no more ex-Republicans, not the LNC, who remain open minded...

I'll write in my free-lance journalist friend.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
I should have posted this here:

https://reason.com/2019/09/16/will-justin-amash-run-for-president-as-a-libertari...

Johnson got more votes than any libertarian candidate ever...

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 17th, 2019 at 12:06pm:
Mc Afee soundly beat Gary Johnson in the Libertarian Presidential Debates hosted by John Stossel in 2016.  Yes, he a has a colorful history.

Mc Afee built eight airports in New Mexico and Arizona.    He has my respect.  I probably wouldn't vote for him, though.

Unfortunately some really good libertarians have refused to run on the Libertarian ticket in 2020;

Bill Weld, Austin Petersen, Rand Paul, Larry Sharpe, et al.

Justin Amash looks promising.  I hope he joins the fray.

He has your respect just because he built a few little airports that only small planes and choppers can land at?

Debates mean absolutely NOTHING.  The guy who wins any debate is simply the guy who is better at debating.  It does not mean he he will do what he says or even believes in what he says.  Gary is a good guy, he just sucks at talking on the spot.

I think you will vote for Trump Chief.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Sep 17th, 2019 at 7:53pm:
That seems likely to me too... Unless maybe it's a Biden/Warren ticket, and Joe stays alive long enough to be sworn in. Shocked

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
He has your respect just because he built a few little airports that only small planes and choppers can land at?
Yes.       Sue me.

Gary is a good guy, he just sucks at talking on the spot.
Says you.

Gary is done.  He plainly refused to run again as the Libertarian candidate.  A wise move, IMO.

Nope.  I won't.

I will vote for the Libertarian nominee.

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Sep 18th, 2019 at 7:14am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 17th, 2019 at 10:57pm:

I will vote for the Libertarian nominee.
Even if he's from the anarchist fringe? Or especially if he's from the anarchist fringe?

This is pertinent, especially when it talks about the French Revolution:

https://www.thehour.com/opinion/article/Why-knowing-Roman-history-is-key-to-pres...

From the article:

"The French Revolution took a different course than its American counterpart. It did not simply seek to rebalance power but rather to eradicate all existing power bases. The revolutionaries overthrew everything: the monarchy, the church, the nobility, property rights and most of the other things that had held the French people together for centuries. The result was total anarchy fueled by bloody purges of whoever happened to be on the wrong side of the revolution, which was constantly changing in the 1790s.

The situation ended not with a stable republic but with a strongman, General Napoleon Bonaparte. The bloodshed of his regime stood in stark contrast to the reign of the former general leading the United States in the 1790s: George Washington stepped aside from the presidency in 1797, personifying self-sacrifice and a peaceful transfer of power."

I know "taxation is theft" appeals to you...

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Sep 18th, 2019 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 18th, 2019 at 7:14am:
Even if he's from the anarchist fringe? Or especially if he's from the anarchist fringe?

The LNC would never select an anarchist fringer.  They're big on name recognition, and they will only consider a moderate.  They would never choose someone like Adam Kokesh or John McAfee.

(Official prediction #21)

Jeff wrote on Sep 18th, 2019 at 7:14am:
"The French Revolution took a different course than its American counterpart. It did not simply seek to rebalance power but rather to eradicate all existing power bases. The revolutionaries overthrew everything
Today, the US is more politically divided than it was during the Civil War.

If Trump is re-elected, it will get even worse.

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Lincoln Chafee, who served as Rhode Island's Republican Senator from 1999 to 2007 will formally announce his intention to seek the Libertarian presidential nomination at an event at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C.

This would be great news except for the fact that Chafee is not a libertarian.

But it's pretty good news because Chafee has 2 heavy-hitter campaign promises;

"No More Wars. No More Reckless Spending."

Trump promised these things during his campaign, but balked on both.  He has only increased the US military footprint in the Middle East, and spends taxpayer's money like a drunken sailor.

source:  https://reason.com/2020/01/06/lincoln-chafee-former-republican-senator-and-indep...

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #18 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jan 7th, 2020 at 12:44pm:
Lincoln Chafee, who served as Rhode Island's Republican Senator from 1999 to 2007 will formally announce his intention to seek the Libertarian presidential nomination at an event at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C.

This would be great news except for the fact that Chafee is not a libertarian.

But it's pretty good news because Chafee has 2 heavy-hitter campaign promises;

"No More Wars. No More Reckless Spending."

Trump promised these things during his campaign, but balked on both.  He has only increased the US military footprint in the Middle East, and spends taxpayer's money like a drunken sailor.

source:  https://reason.com/2020/01/06/lincoln-chafee-former-republican-senator-and-indep...

https://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/intelligencer/2015/10/23/23-chafee.w330.h330....

That would be consistent with the Libertarian party in that they picked a name to get them recognition for the last three elections who wasn't a libertarian.

It would be inconsistent in that the Libertarian Party goal has been to hurt Republicans.  I have no objection to them hurting Republicans other than that has clearly been their agenda.  They've done nothing to reach out to Democrat voters

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #19 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
He has only increased the US military footprint in the Middle East

That's bull crap.  Obama, W, Slick were all worse

and spends taxpayer's money like a drunken sailor

That one's true

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarian Hopefuls For 2020 LNC Nomination
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy