Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Church of the Invisible Hand
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Church of the Invisible Hand (Read 594 times)
johnfkosanke

Libertarian's Forum

Church of the Invisible Hand
Apr 7th, 2019 at 7:42am
Print Post  
I am starting a libertarian church. Here is its tentative creed. Feel free to comment on the attached doc.

Quote:
Statement of Belief

We believe in the Invisible Hand, the Governor of Civilization.

We believe that poverty, war, and human strife result from a lack of faith in the Invisible Hand, and that wealth, peace, and happiness await the communities that embrace it.

We believe that the Invisible Hand governs and civilizes trade and intercourse between sovereign individuals, regardless of geographic location or accident of birth, and allows civilization, the process, to occur.

We believe that the Invisible Hand does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, height, weight, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, or marital status.

We believe that regardless of, and in spite of, human attempts to alter the natural rules governing trade and interaction between individuals, the natural law of the marketplace, as governed by the demand/supply=price equation, always prevails.

We believe that ignorance of the Invisible Hand, and attempts to override it, creates monopolies, limiting the supply, and increasing the price of goods and services which can be measured in monetary terms and in terms of increased inconvenience.

We believe that ignorance of the Invisible Hand, and attempts to override it, blackens markets, creating an environment of corruption which is favorable to violence.

We believe that ignorance of the Invisible Hand, and attempts to override it, increases hardship for the individuals involved in otherwise peaceful trade, and only benefits those who institutionalize these monopolies through positions of immunity so obtained.

We believe that individuals who willfully support or defend public or private actions or institutions that take an individual's money, property, time, labor, health, or life, without his consent are participating in theft, and indebting themselves to these victims.

We believe that compulsory taxation is the greatest evil that stands in opposition to the Invisible Hand, and that no Caesar - by whatever name - can justly claim title to property so taken.

We believe that undertakings that are subsidized by compulsory taxation create monopolies that unfairly compete with, or restrict competition between, private self-sustaining businesses, greatly reducing the quality, and increasing the price, of the goods or services otherwise peacefully provided.

We believe that any good or service which is valuable is sustainable, and does not require subsidy, and that any good or service that is not valuable, and thus not sustainable, does not deserve subsidy - particularly when taken through institutionalized theft.

Accordingly, we believe that it is our responsibility, as the faithful and as bearers of light, to proactively oppose the enemies of the Invisible Hand, and liberate humanity by its consecration.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ey7Rr5el6sZO944m4gTW99dORCS4Vhbzn9xq4smVtAs/...

IP Logged

kaz
Libertarian Freedom Member

Minarchist

Re: Church of the Invisible Hand
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 8:36am
Print Post  
Ha ha?

Will the invisible hand could be convenient when you're in public and want to give yourself a hand job

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 8:48am
Print Post  
johnfkosanke wrote on Apr 7th, 2019 at 7:42am:
I am starting a libertarian church. Here is its tentative creed. Feel free to comment on the attached doc.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ey7Rr5el6sZO944m4gTW99dORCS4Vhbzn9xq4smVtAs/...
Will you have Priests?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 11:45am
Print Post  
I normally don't believe in invisible things. . . hands .. . .  feet. .(critical thinking),  but I'd like to be a Cardinal, if the position is open.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 11:53am
Print Post  
He's referring to the "invisible hand" process that creates order from chaos in a free market.

I applaud him. Libertarianism always seemed more like a religion than a political ideology to me.

If I join, maybe people will stop trying to stomp me to death for questioning the ideology. I'm not even questioning the ideology; I'm trying to learn how it applies to certain situations. If I seem combative it's because answers aren't always forthcoming.

johnfkosanke wrote on Apr 7th, 2019 at 7:42am:
We believe that individuals who willfully support or defend public or private actions or institutions that take an individual's money, property, time, labor, health, or life, without his consent are participating in theft, and indebting themselves to these victims.

That's why I never do these kind of things.

I don't vote, because I know that if I vote for a candidate who ends up stealing, I'm responsible for that aggression. (And yeah, they all will, soooo....)

If I get jury duty, I lie to my boss and say I just want the day off instead of having the government force my work to pay me for that day, which is the law in my state.

I don't call the police, ever. My neighbour went crazy and started waving a gun around. I did nothing. I would rather die myself, or have my beloved die, than support and utilise the implements of the aggressive State to protect me.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 11:56am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Apr 7th, 2019 at 11:53am:
He's referring to the "invisible hand" process that creates order from chaos in a free market.

I applaud him. Libertarianism always seemed more like a religion than a political ideology to me.

If I join, maybe people will stop trying to stomp me to death for questioning the ideology. I'm not even questioning the ideology; I'm trying to learn how it applies to certain situations. If I seem combative it's because answers aren't always forthcoming.

LOL, that people can make their own choices is a "religion," is it, Nancy Pelosi?

So since you're declaring yourself to be a statist, it makes me want to ask you the obvious question.

If people can't make our own choices, how can government make our choices for us better than we can when government is made up of ... wait for it ... people.  The same people you say can't make our own choices?

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Apr 7th, 2019 at 11:56am:
LOL, that people can make their own choices is a "religion," is it, Nancy Pelosi?

So since you're declaring yourself to be a statist, it makes me want to ask you the obvious question.

If people can't make our own choices, how can government make our choices for us better than we can when government is made up of ... wait for it ... people.  The same people you say can't make our own choices?

It has nothing to do with the tenets of libertarianism, which I agree with every one of.

It seems like a religion to me because I get insulted when people think I'm questioning it.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #7 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Apr 7th, 2019 at 12:01pm:
It has nothing to do with the tenets of libertarianism, which I agree with every one of.

It seems like a religion to me because I get insulted when people think I'm questioning it.

OK, fair enough.  That is basically the same thing I'm saying when I say that even though I agree with libertarians on most issues, they are obsessed with starting at their navel while they ignore the actual endless constant erosion of their liberty

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Apr 7th, 2019 at 11:53am:

Adam Smith's "invisible hand" is part of an explanation for how/why free markets work. That's what I think you call economic theory. Smiley

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Apr 7th, 2019 at 12:01pm:

It's actually a very good insight into the workings of markets/economies. I can't see why you wouldn't understand it, or why anyone would be insulted at your lack of understanding...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Church of the Invisible Hand
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy