Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Do Homeowers Associations have Consent of the Governed?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Do Homeowers Associations have Consent of the Governed? (Read 2604 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Do Homeowers Associations have Consent of the Governed?
Reply #20 - May 1st, 2019 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on May 1st, 2019 at 4:09pm:
So you really do not understand that members of an HOA consent...
I do understand, I just wonder what it is about being governed by the Directors of an HOA you think is better than being governed by the laws of the U.S., starting with our Constitution.

Help me understand, thanks.

Edit: From what I've heard, HOA Directors can be positively dictatorial...

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - May 1st, 2019 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 1st, 2019 at 5:02pm:
I do understand, I just wonder what it is about being governed by the Directors of an HOA you think is better than being governed by the laws of the U.S., starting with our Constitution.

Help me understand, thanks.

The HOA Board Directors are elected by the homeowners.  Much like the lawmakers in Congress.   The HOA CC&Rs document is the equivalent of the U S Constitution.

So the democratic structure is essentially the same.  The HOA is just local government on a micro scale.

They still suck, because the corruption which plagues the federal government also plagues some HOAs.    Cry

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - May 1st, 2019 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on May 1st, 2019 at 5:22pm:
The HOA Board Directors are elected by the homeowners.  Much like the lawmakers in Congress.   The HOA CC&Rs document is the equivalent of the U S Constitution.

So the democratic structure is essentially the same.  The HOA is just local government on a micro scale.

They still suck, because the corruption which plagues the federal government also plagues some HOAs.    Cry
What happens if you don't pay your dues/fees to the HOA?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - May 1st, 2019 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 1st, 2019 at 7:18pm:
What happens if you don't pay your dues/fees to the HOA?

The HOA will place a lien on a property for any unpaid dues. The HOA may also impose "late fees" in addition to unpaid dues.

Also, the HOA may, at their discretion foreclose on the property.

It's wise to do 2 things;

1) NEVER buy a property in any HOA.

2) If you already have,  FOR CRISSAKES, PAY THE HOA DUES ON TIME!!

Smiley

IP Logged

AlayneLeung

Libertarian's Forum

USA gets some $ of members of HOA(s) that unnecessarily restrict?
Reply #24 - May 1st, 2019 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
I edited my previous message to this topic on page 2.  Also, how about members of HOA(s) impeach inept or incompetent or corrupt or decadent leader(s) of HOA(s)? And how about having member(s) , of HOA(s) ,  pay "obligatory investment(s)" to USA Treasury for any unnecessary "griping" restriction(s) on exterior part(s) of property or properties owned by homeowner(s) of said HOA(s) in accordance with American Community Survey questions regarding HOA restriction(s) ? Like for example a HOA that I used to live in prohibited clotheslines positioned on or above the property of any homeowner of that HOA; so how about the HOA member(s), that continue support that restriction, pay obligatory investment(s) like say $15 per USA Fed Gov't monitoring of cubic kilometer of HOA per hour per member of said HOA divided by total number of said HOA member(s) that support that restriction, so that the entire sum of that "obligatory investment" goes directly to USA Treasury because USA Fed Gov't Personnel use satellites and drones to "observe" persons and property on USA for safety reason(s)? Otherwise, USA Gov't monitoring of said cubic kilometer(s) of property of that HOA is automatically or later discontinued like HOA notification time(s) until payment(s) plus interest payment(s) at percentage rate(s) = to HOA's interest percentage rate(s) on later fee(s) have arrived from said HOA member(s) that still continue to support said restriction, to USA Treasury? Remember, USA is currently in debt more than 20 trillion dollars, and some USA Armed Forces Personnel have been (I think according to news broadcasts) committing suicide, and USA can't basically afford to have personnel wasting time especially unnecessarily observing "nitty gritty" restriction(s) that any HOA(s) impose especially given very violent extremisms that have been recently occurring on earth.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Re: USA gets some $ of members of HOA(s) that unnecessarily restrict?
Reply #25 - May 1st, 2019 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
AlayneLeung wrote on May 1st, 2019 at 7:46pm:
some USA Armed Forces Personnel have been (I think according to news broadcasts) committing suicide, and USA can't basically afford to have personnel wasting time especially unnecessarily observing "nitty gritty" restriction(s) that any HOA(s) impose especially given very violent extremisms that have been recently occurring on earth.
I recall reading that somewhere - a disproportionate suicide rate among active duty personnel and vets.

A while back, I suggested in writing that our HOA should waive all HOA dues for vets. 

At the time, I was the the only vet in the association, and my suggestion was summarily rejected.

Since then, a retired Air Force Master Sergeant has moved into the complex, and he thinks a HOA dues waiver for vets is a really good idea.   

Maybe we'll re-introduce the plan at the next HOA meeting. 

I'll tell them if they reject it again, I may kill myself!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #26 - May 2nd, 2019 at 7:12am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on May 1st, 2019 at 7:30pm:
The HOA will place a lien on a property for any unpaid dues. The HOA may also impose "late fees" in addition to unpaid dues.

Also, the HOA may, at their discretion foreclose on the property.

It's wise to do 2 things;

1) NEVER buy a property in any HOA.

2) If you already have,  FOR CRISSAKES, PAY THE HOA DUES ON TIME!!

Smiley
So the Sack's "at the point of a gun" hyperbole applies to HOAs too...

I hope he tells us why he likes HOAs and not government.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - May 2nd, 2019 at 7:15am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on May 1st, 2019 at 10:02pm:
I recall reading that somewhere - a disproportionate suicide rate among active duty personnel and vets.

A while back, I suggested in writing that our HOA should waive all HOA dues for vets. 

At the time, I was the the only vet in the association, and my suggestion was summarily rejected.

Since then, a retired Air Force Master Sergeant has moved into the complex, and he thinks a HOA dues waiver for vets is a really good idea.   

Maybe we'll re-introduce the plan at the next HOA meeting. 

I'll tell them if they reject it again, I may kill myself!
Why just vets? How about active duty and retired police too, and anybody that works for the government or is retired from the government, including teachers of course...

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #28 - May 2nd, 2019 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 2nd, 2019 at 7:15am:
Why just vets? How about active duty and retired police too, and anybody that works for the government or is retired from the government, including teachers of course...

Of course Active Duty military would be included in the HOA fees waiver,,  but not all government employees.  The idea is to honor people who have fought to defend this country.

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - May 2nd, 2019 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 2nd, 2019 at 7:12am:
So the Sack's "at the point of a gun" hyperbole applies to HOAs too...

I hope he tells us why he likes HOAs and not government.

I never said I “liked” them.  I said that they have consent of the governed.  Yes, the fees are collected at gunpoint, which is one of many reasons to follow SkyChief’s advice to not join one.  But you consented to that gunpoint knowing that the guns would be pointed at your neighbors if they tried to freeload.  Jeff, you should love that.

But if you do join one, that’s consent.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Do Homeowers Associations have Consent of the Governed?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy