Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Is There ANY Legitimate Reason to Ban Gambling?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Is There ANY Legitimate Reason to Ban Gambling? (Read 546 times)
Little Big Man
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Is There ANY Legitimate Reason to Ban Gambling?
Reply #10 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Apr 30th, 2019 at 3:05pm:
Like I said, I don't especially buy that argument but there is some evidence that even when gambling is legal it is associate with other criminal behavior.  In all likely hood it attracts loan sharks which is generally illegal and is thus associated with other crimes as you suggest. 

When it is legal in very limited places, and when illegal gambling has already been going on in other parts of the country (as it always does), then the organized criminals are in the best position to develop the potential in places where gambling is legal.  If it were all legal everywhere in the country, that would not be an issue.

It only attracts “loan sharks” because of banking regulations that forbid private indivduals from making high interest loans.  Somebody is dumb enough to borrow large sums of money at two percent a week to shoot craps with, I feel sorry for them.  Just like I feel sorry for someone who goes bankrupt three years after winning the lotto.  But I don’t think I should be taxed at gunpoint to protect them from themselves. 

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Like I said, I don't especially buy that argument but there is some evidence that even when gambling is legal it is associate with other criminal behavior.  In all likely hood it attracts loan sharks which is generally illegal and is thus associated with other crimes as you suggest. 
Why should "loan sharking" be illegal?

Legalize lending money to people who want to borrow it, and the criminal element will disappear from that endeavor too.

Alcohol is legal, but people still make and sell moonshine. That's because there is too much taxation and regulation applied to making distilled spirits.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Apr 30th, 2019 at 4:51pm:
When it is legal in very limited places, and when illegal gambling has already been going on in other parts of the country (as it always does), then the organized criminals are in the best position to develop the potential in places where gambling is legal.  If it were all legal everywhere in the country, that would not be an issue.

It only attracts “loan sharks” because of banking regulations that forbid private indivduals from making high interest loans.  Somebody is dumb enough to borrow large sums of money at two percent a week to shoot craps with, I feel sorry for them.  Just like I feel sorry for someone who goes bankrupt three years after winning the lotto.  But I don’t think I should be taxed at gunpoint to protect them from themselves. 
You had quite the libertarian perspective for this post. Keep up the good work!

Except for the "taxed at gunpoint" part, that's not really helpful...

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Apr 30th, 2019 at 5:43pm:
You had quite the libertarian perspective for this post. Keep up the good work!

Except for the "taxed at gunpoint" part, that's not really helpful...

I'm claiming the most libertarian perspective so far.   It's not even possible have a more libertarian perspective than this:

SkyChief wrote on Apr 29th, 2019 at 6:18pm:
Nope!. . .Keep government out of it. 

Smiley  Smiley

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
No. No legitimate reason.

Little Big Man wrote on Apr 30th, 2019 at 4:51pm:
It only attracts “loan sharks” because of banking regulations that forbid private individuals from making high interest loans.  Somebody is dumb enough to borrow large sums of money at two percent a week to shoot craps with, I feel sorry for them.  Just like I feel sorry for someone who goes bankrupt three years after winning the lotto.  But I don’t think I should be taxed at gunpoint to protect them from themselves. 

Since they regularly steal I would be willing to pay good money to live away from them.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #15 - May 15th, 2019 at 7:44am
Print Post  

Making gambling legal may associate with other crimes, but nowhere to the extent that making it illegal associates gambling with other crimes

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - May 15th, 2019 at 9:51am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 7:44am:
Making gambling legal may associate with other crimes, but nowhere to the extent that making it illegal associates gambling with other crimes

Absolutely agree.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Is There ANY Legitimate Reason to Ban Gambling?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy