Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › White House Requires Big Pharma To List Drug Prices On TV Ads
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) White House Requires Big Pharma To List Drug Prices On TV Ads (Read 233 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

White House Requires Big Pharma To List Drug Prices On TV Ads
May 9th, 2019 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Pharmaceutical companies will be required to disclose the price of its prescription medicines in television commercials, the Trump administration says.

The requirement is set to take effect as soon as this summer and will apply to drugs that cost more than $35 for a month's supply.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/08/trump-administration-requires-drug-makers-to-lis...

Democrats think this is great idea, but are AGAINST it because Trump ordered it.  And they hate his guts.

Republicans think this is a great idea, and are all FOR it.  Because Trump ordered it, and they anticipate competitiveness among pharma companies, which should lower the cost of meds.

Libertarians think this is a great idea, but are AGAINST it because it's just another unneeded regulation which makes an already too-powerful-government even MORE powerful.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Re: White House Requires Big Pharma To List Drug Prices On TV Ads
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2019 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on May 9th, 2019 at 12:41pm:
Pharmaceutical companies will be required to disclose the price of its prescription medicines in television commercials, the Trump administration says.

The requirement is set to take effect as soon as this summer and will apply to drugs that cost more than $35 for a month's supply.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/08/trump-administration-requires-drug-makers-to-lis...

Democrats think this is great idea, but are AGAINST it because Trump ordered it.  And they hate his guts.

Republicans think this is a great idea, and are all FOR it.  Because Trump ordered it, and they anticipate competitiveness among pharma companies, which should lower the cost of meds.

Libertarians think this is a great idea, but are AGAINST it because it's just another unneeded regulation which makes an already too-powerful-government even MORE powerful.
Is there any indication from anyone about where the "administration" gets the power to require such things?

I'm against it because it a use of a power never granted by the people.

Oh wait, I forgot, the New Deal SCOTUS "interpreted" the commerce clause to be a general power to control the entire economy and everything remotely connected with it.

Probably a Democratic President would use the same power to just set prices for drugs...

But wait, under Medicare for all, everybody will get the drugs they need for free! Cheesy

IP Logged

EWS
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - May 9th, 2019 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
I think forcing them to be upfront with prices is a waste of time. It doesnt change the cost and will not drive competitiveness. We need to smack the FDA around and get big pharma out of their wallets.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - May 9th, 2019 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
EWS wrote on May 9th, 2019 at 7:28pm:
I think forcing them to be upfront with prices is a waste of time. It doesnt change the cost and will not drive competitiveness. We need to smack the FDA around and get big pharma out of their wallets.
I wonder how Congress feels about requiring that any lawyer who advertises on TV must disclose their hourly fees and other charges. Grin

The Trump "administration" should try that one out.

Edit:Doctors too. Why shouldn't we know upfront what they charge?

IP Logged

EWS
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - May 10th, 2019 at 10:08am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 9th, 2019 at 7:47pm:
Edit:Doctors too. Why shouldn't we know upfront what they charge?

It would be a bit easier to swallow the $500 ten minute doc visit if I am prepared ahead of time lol

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - May 10th, 2019 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
EWS wrote on May 10th, 2019 at 10:08am:
It would be a bit easier to swallow the $500 ten minute doc visit if I am prepared ahead of time lol
Right. Lawyers too. Either will tell you what you're going to be charged before you enter into a contract with them. Not many of them like to think of it that way.

IP Logged

EWS
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - May 14th, 2019 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 10th, 2019 at 3:33pm:
Right. Lawyers too. Either will tell you what you're going to be charged before you enter into a contract with them. Not many of them like to think of it that way.

It depends on the lawyer. I recently went through a custody battle for my oldest daughter. My lawyer was up front with me and told me that my $3k retainer would likely not be enough and guessed I'd end up spending another $2k on legal fees. almost 7 months later and I only ended up needing an extra $1100. So there are a few lawyers out there that don't need to be in that bus getting driven off the cliff.

Health care and insurance in general is a giant scam IMO.  We are forced to pay hundreds and even thousands of dollars for medication that costs pennies to make. And then the FDA and big Pharma will shut down anything that may work as good or better that is more affordable. And God forbid someone has a natural answer that cures things, that's hokum and fake garbage! (ignore the fact that it worked for thousands of years without the side effects)

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - May 14th, 2019 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
EWS wrote on May 14th, 2019 at 3:40pm:
It depends on the lawyer. I recently went through a custody battle for my oldest daughter. My lawyer was up front with me and told me that my $3k retainer would likely not be enough and guessed I'd end up spending another $2k on legal fees. almost 7 months later and I only ended up needing an extra $1100. So there are a few lawyers out there that don't need to be in that bus getting driven off the cliff.

There are much better ways to hire lawyers than giving them retainers up front.

You should always find out their hourly rate and how much of the work will be done by para-legals and how much they charge hourly for para-legal work. Make them submit bills to you listing the work done, who did it, and how long it took.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - May 14th, 2019 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Health care and insurance in general is a giant scam IMO.  We are forced to pay hundreds and even thousands of dollars for medication that costs pennies to make.
No one forces you to use the drugs, which may have cost huge amounts of money to develop and test to the FDA's satisfaction. And you know how bureaucrats love to say "No".

I agree that the incestuous relationships created by the ACA and many other laws pretty much guarantee that drug companies make money, right up until Congress decides to pillory the drug companies, bankrupt them and take drug research and manufacturing into the hands of the FDA where it will be done so efficiently that drugs will be free! Cheesy

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - May 14th, 2019 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
And God forbid someone has a natural answer that cures things, that's hokum and fake garbage! (ignore the fact that it worked for thousands of years without the side effects)
What sort of natural answers have you found? You know you're free to try most of them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › White House Requires Big Pharma To List Drug Prices On TV Ads
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy