Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Anonymous Mom: Pressure Led to School Shooting
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Anonymous Mom: Pressure Led to School Shooting (Read 640 times)
Little Big Man
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Anonymous Mom: Pressure Led to School Shooting
May 10th, 2019 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
CNN.com

Government schools are pressure cookers that produce school shooters.  What do you expect when you allow government to take money by force, force children to attend and then judge the government officials by how the students “perform” on standardized testing?

That mom had to be anonymous so her child would not be expelled.  Sad that we fear our government will stop even the meager handouts they deign to bestow if we don’t toe the line.  Sadder still that mom fears exspulsion from tha pressure cooker school because at least her child learns there, unlike most government schools.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

EWS
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Anonymous Mom: Pressure Led to School Shooting
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2019 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Unpopular Opinion Warning:

I believe that we have seen an up-trend in school shootings because we stopped allowing pubescent, hormone riddled, agnsty teens to do what is in their nature, beat the snot out of each other once in a while.  I am not saying I am ok with bullying, but I and everyone I know made it through HS, got in a few fights, generally ended up friends after and not a single one of us shot up a school, or anything really.

When you force people to suppress the things that nature tells them to do, and instead "talk about it" you create a pressure cooker, as stated by OP.  Take a kid who has to learn screwed up math, fake history, indoctrination and and some hormones and a bully to that stress. Then sit them down (sometimes with said bully) and say "Now how do you feel?" What the crappity smack do you expect to happen?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2019 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
It's an interesting hypothesis, EWS. . . . .  You might be onto something, here!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2019 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on May 10th, 2019 at 12:16pm:
CNN.com

Government schools are pressure cookers that produce school shooters.
They are? I thought it was possible to drift through illiterate and innumerate and get a diploma anyway?

What a crappy analogy. Pressure cookers produce soft vegetables in no time at all.

Most likely, drugging young children with psychoactive drugs sometimes has very bad side effects. This has been known for a long time.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - May 10th, 2019 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
EWS wrote on May 10th, 2019 at 2:23pm:
Unpopular Opinion Warning:

I believe that we have seen an up-trend in school shootings because we stopped allowing pubescent, hormone riddled, agnsty teens to do what is in their nature, beat the snot out of each other once in a while.
For that, we mostly had gym class, where we engaged in all sorts of physical competitions, including wrestling and boxing.

Sometimes there were fights anyway, usually after school and not on school grounds, but they were not frequent  and never gang fights or senseless attacks on innocents. The occasional bully would make senseless attacks on some individual, but the usually amounted to no more than pushing and shoving.

Many things have changed, and I put psychoactive drugs high on the list.

I'd put induced/enforced/exaggerated tribalism as number 2, and lack of worthy role models as number 3.

No, lack of self discipline as number 1...

Anyway, that's my top four, and none of them require condoning gang fights to prevent school shootings. That sounds whacked.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - May 10th, 2019 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
When you force people to suppress the things that nature tells them to do, and instead "talk about it" you create a pressure cooker, as stated by OP.
The idea is to start early and work on civilizing them, teaching them to take responsibility for what they do and to control their impulses for the good of themselves and others. Smiley

If you do that, you will have fairly civilized young men and women when the hormones kick in, and things will go much better all around.

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - May 10th, 2019 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
There is a distinct lake of evidence in this thread.  One women's claim is note actually evidence.  Either that the school was a "pressure cooker" or that if it was that is what caused this.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - May 10th, 2019 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on May 10th, 2019 at 4:26pm:
There is a distinct lake of evidence in this thread.  One women's claim is note actually evidence.  Either that the school was a "pressure cooker" or that if it was that is what caused this. 

What do you think? I think psychoactive drugs were probably involved as seems all too common.

Certainly bizarre theories of self esteem don't help.

IP Logged

EWS
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - May 10th, 2019 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 10th, 2019 at 3:56pm:
The idea is to start early and work on civilizing them, teaching them to take responsibility for what they do and to control their impulses for the good of themselves and others. Smiley

If you do that, you will have fairly civilized young men and women when the hormones kick in, and things will go much better all around.

I agree, we, as in parents not school, government, etc... need to be more active in teaching our children right from wrong.  I personally teach my daughters (8 and 9) that we should always treat others the way we want them to treat us.  I also teach that all of our actions, good and bad, have consequences. We need to take responsibility when we screw up, and learn to be better. We are humans, we are flawed.

You are correct that when we were kids fights were after school, mostly. And were not much to get bent out of shape about.  But we as a society have demonized all acts of physical outbursts.  And I am sorry, but sometimes in order to learn a lesson, the best and most effective way is a good ol' sock in the teeth.  You can tell a child that the stove is hot, but only when the child burns themselves do they fully understand that and why it is not good to touch a hot stove. Just like you can tell a bully that his/her behavior is cruel and hurts feelings, but sometimes it takes the bullied standing up for themselves to wake the bully up.

We should not encourage fighting by any means. But we also cannot discourage defending ones self.  My kids know that if they are involved in a fight, as long as they did not initiate, then they will never get in trouble for it at home. 

I would agree that the meds doctors give to kids do FAR more harm than good. I cant count the number of kids I knew on Ritalin that ended up with behavioral issues, drug issues and crime issues that were only made worse by the drug.

When I graduated in 99' my HS had an unspoken rule among faculty, give the kids 3 minutes and then break up the fight. Seriously I timed it a few times, teachers sat and watched for a few before stepping in. We were even allowed to have knives on campus, blade under 3", and could have a rifle in your window rack on school grounds (I grew up in Montana).  The next year they changed all that, went to the touchy feely crap, and by 2001 they had their first bomb threat.  Some kid being bullied and told to share his feelings instead of fight.  Well that resulted in that kids getting checked into a mental hospital and probably having a really screwed up life after. It could be a coincidence, but I doubt it.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - May 10th, 2019 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
I believe that we have seen an up-trend in school shootings because we stopped allowing pubescent, hormone riddled, angsty teens to do what is in their nature, beat the snot out of each other once in a while.

I don't know what you're talking about. No one ever stopped anyone from beating me to a pulp in public school.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Anonymous Mom: Pressure Led to School Shooting
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy