Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Cigarette Smoking Causes Popularity
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Cigarette Smoking Causes Popularity (Read 98 times)
The Opposition
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Cigarette Smoking Causes Popularity
May 14th, 2019 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
...And why? Because it's restricted to over 18.

If you get to smoke ahead of time, you're ahead of the curve.

So of course, when kids are 13, 14, 15, and 16, they start smoking to show how mature they are.

And it works. They achieve a stage of maturity earlier, and gain respect. They also spend the rest of their lives addicted to cigarettes. And of course, once they're actually 18 and everyone else can do it, the respect wears off.

There's nothing inherently mature or respectable about smoking cigarettes, and the free market would bring this to bear in one generation.

If parents were let to decide, or even the children themselves, the sole value of achieving a stage of maturation early would quickly be spent.

As kids strive to smoke earlier and earlier, and are allowed to do so, smoking is quickly relegated to something three-year-olds do, and it becomes babyish.

The harder and younger children grab for cigarettes, the more babyish cigarettes become. If parents generally restrict to 15, and the 12-year-old gains immense popularity by achieving smoking early, the general trend will be for parents not to want to leave their kid out of the loop. They might not let their kid be the first, but no one in their right mind will let their kid be the last.

And thusly, cigarettes become babyish and no one smokes them anymore.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Re: Cigarette Smoking Causes Popularity
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2019 at 7:25am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on May 14th, 2019 at 10:21pm:
...And why? Because it's restricted to over 18.

If you get to smoke ahead of time, you're ahead of the curve.

So of course, when kids are 13, 14, 15, and 16, they start smoking to show how mature they are.

And it works. They achieve a stage of maturity earlier, and gain respect. They also spend the rest of their lives addicted to cigarettes. And of course, once they're actually 18 and everyone else can do it, the respect wears off.

There's nothing inherently mature or respectable about smoking cigarettes, and the free market would bring this to bear in one generation.

If parents were let to decide, or even the children themselves, the sole value of achieving a stage of maturation early would quickly be spent.

As kids strive to smoke earlier and earlier, and are allowed to do so, smoking is quickly relegated to something three-year-olds do, and it becomes babyish.

The harder and younger children grab for cigarettes, the more babyish cigarettes become. If parents generally restrict to 15, and the 12-year-old gains immense popularity by achieving smoking early, the general trend will be for parents not to want to leave their kid out of the loop. They might not let their kid be the first, but no one in their right mind will let their kid be the last.

And thusly, cigarettes become babyish and no one smokes them anymore.

In France, I learned that kids in high school go out and smoke between classes.  The schools provide areas for them to smoke.

Smoking is a social thing for sure, but you're generally not socializing with the people who will go anywhere in life or help you to do so

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - May 15th, 2019 at 9:55am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 7:25am:
In France, I learned that kids in high school go out and smoke between classes.  The schools provide areas for them to smoke.

Smoking is a social thing for sure, but you're generally not socializing with the people who will go anywhere in life or help you to do so

There were separate smoking areas for teachers and students at my high school when my older sisters went.  They'd closed done the student area by the time I got there so it moved over to the yard of the nearest home.

The original post by the opposition is nonsense though it reminds of a Penn Jillete joke.

He did a routine where he held a lit cigarette for during the act then ends with, "Kids, don't smoke, unless you want to look really crappity smacking cool!"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2019 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 9:55am:
There were separate smoking areas for teachers and students at my high school when my older sisters went.  They'd closed done the student area by the time I got there so it moved over to the yard of the nearest home.

The original post by the opposition is nonsense though it reminds of a Penn Jillete joke.

He did a routine where he held a lit cigarette for during the act then ends with, "Kids, don't smoke, unless you want to look really crappity smacking cool!"
I knew nicotine was addictive and that tobacco was associated with a variety of health problems if you used it long enough and were unlucky. Nevertheless, I started using tobacco anyway, to 'fit in' and give myself an aura of adulthood in my own mind. No one was fooled. Grin

All that said, I've enjoyed tobacco and nicotine in various forms over the years and still do.

I tell anyone who asks that nicotine is highly addictive and tobacco use can have bad effects on you physically. After that, they make their own decisions.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Cigarette Smoking Causes Popularity
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy