Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › A Libertarian Approach To Foreign Policy
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A Libertarian Approach To Foreign Policy (Read 2467 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: A Libertarian Approach To Foreign Policy
Reply #50 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 7:35am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 19th, 2019 at 8:47pm:
It is my understanding that they do it because money itself is a scam. It has no value of its own.

Because money can be exchanged for goods and services, whoever prints money gets goods and services for nothing.

You can tell because they must entirely control the supply of money so that only they gain the benefit.

If I had a replicator, no one would have much cause to bother me because I replicated a piece of bread or even duplicated my cat. These things have actual value, in other words they bring benefits and not detriments, so it's logically impossible for someone to be worse off because there are more of these things... unless the things start to be used as money (or even status symbols I suppose) which means the value placed upon them would outstrip their actual value.

If I counterfeit a dollar, the police will break down my door and arrest me because I am stealing a benefit reserved only for the privileged few permitted to print the money.

Every new dollar comes at a cost to everyone already in possession of a dollar, but benefits the person who gains the new dollar.
And of course, you're talking about fiat money... Smiley

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #51 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 7:38am
Print Post  
Industry wrote on Jun 19th, 2019 at 5:11pm:
So will China like own America?
I promise not to sell my property to communists unless they offer me a really good price!

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #52 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 10:08am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 20th, 2019 at 7:35am:
And of course, you're talking about fiat money... Smiley

There's little need for that distinction.

Anything that's also itself a trade good (like gold) is something else in addition to being money.

Anyone who tells you their money is backed by anything is probably lying.

You might as well just call fiat money money, and distinct them from goods which have some value of their own.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #53 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 10:40am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 20th, 2019 at 10:08am:
There's little need for that distinction.

Why not? Fake money is not real money... That's a real distinction. Smiley

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #54 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
BREAKING NEWS

Earlier today, War hawk Lindsay Graham ripped into Trump for removing troops from Syria, saying it was "shortsighted and irresponsible."  Graham said:

"This impulsive decision by the President has undone all the gains we've made, thrown the region into further chaos. Iran is licking their chops. And if I'm an ISIS fighter I've got a second lease on life. So to those who think ISIS has been defeated you will soon see."

Graham said he would introduce a Senate resolution opposing the troop pull-out, and will ask for a reversal.

"Expect it will receive strong bipartisan support." said Graham.

I applaud Trumps decision to pull troops from Syria.  Hopefully, he won't cave in to Graham's threats to override the decision.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/07/politics/lindsey-graham-donald-trump-syria-troops...

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #55 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 7th, 2019 at 2:34pm:
BREAKING NEWS

Earlier today, War hawk Lindsay Graham ripped into Trump for removing troops from Syria, saying it was "shortsighted and irresponsible."  Graham said:

"This impulsive decision by the President has undone all the gains we've made, thrown the region into further chaos. Iran is licking their chops. And if I'm an ISIS fighter I've got a second lease on life. So to those who think ISIS has been defeated you will soon see."

Graham said he would introduce a Senate resolution opposing the troop pull-out, and will ask for a reversal.

"Expect it will receive strong bipartisan support." said Graham.

I applaud Trumps decision to pull troops from Syria.  Hopefully, he won't cave in to Graham's threats to override the decision.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/07/politics/lindsey-graham-donald-trump-syria-troops...
If I'm remembering correctly, Trump caves in a lot...

Anyway, we sent supplies starting in 2011, arms shortly thereafter, and troops in 2014...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American-led_intervention_in_the_Syrian_Civil_War

Aren't most of the people who authorized that still in Congress?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #56 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 7th, 2019 at 2:43pm:
If I'm remembering correctly, Trump caves in a lot...
He does.  But keep in mind that this pull-out is merely symbolic - there's only a thousand or so US troops in Syria.  Trump just wants people to know who is in charge:

"As I have stated strongly before, and just to reiterate, if Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the Economy of Turkey (I’ve done before!). They must, with Europe and others, watch over the captured ISIS fighters and families.

The U.S. has done far more than anyone could have ever expected, including the capture of 100% of the ISIS Caliphate. It is time now for others in the region, some of great wealth, to protect their own territory. THE USA IS GREAT!"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #57 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 7th, 2019 at 4:06pm:
He does.  But This pull-out is merely symbolic - there's only a thousand or so US troops in Syria.

"As I have stated strongly before, and just to reiterate, if Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the Economy of Turkey (I’ve done before!). They must, with Europe and others, watch over the captured ISIS fighters and families.

The U.S. has done far more than anyone could have ever expected, including the capture of 100% of the ISIS Caliphate. It is time now for others in the region, some of great wealth, to protect their own territory. THE USA IS GREAT!"
So, as well as caving in  a lot, Trump's a blithering idiot.

BTW, the President is not "in charge". He's responsible for executing the laws passed by Congress.

He's certainly not in charge of foreign policy. Article II, Section 2 of the Constitution says, "He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make treaties... (emphasis added).

As to his power as Commander in Chief, it only becomes active when the Army, Navy, and State Militias are "...called into actual Service of the United States..." Article II Section 2.

It is Congress that is given the power to call the Army, Navy, and Militias into actual service of the United States by declaring war.

Maybe a conversation should ensue as to what constitutes "actual service of the United States". Of course that's something Congress should debate every time they think of declaring war...

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #58 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 7th, 2019 at 4:10pm:
So, as well as caving in  a lot, Trump's a blithering idiot.

I think Trump is trying to convey a message:

The US has been intervening to much in the affairs of foreign countries.  It needs to stop!

I support his decision to pull out US troops from Syria.  If Turkey destroys the Kurds, then that is on them. 

Anyways, Turkish President Erdoğan is a puppet of Russia.  Maybe the UN should send in troops to keep an eye on the Turks.

Leave the US out of that mess!!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #59 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 7th, 2019 at 4:17pm:
I think Trump is trying to convey a message:

The US has been intervening to much in the affairs of foreign countries.  It needs to stop!

I support his decision to pull out US troops from Syria.  If Turkey destroys the Kurds, then that is on them. 

Anyways, Turkish President Erdoğan is a puppet of Russia.  Maybe the UN should send in troops to keep an eye on the Turks.

Leave the US out of that mess!!
Sorry, I edited my post while you were replying. Embarrassed

Anyway, I think Turkey is still officially our NATO ally, which poses some problems for a UN response against Turkey... Certainly we need to revisit the NATO alliance, and get out of the UN.

Do you really want the UN making decisions about how and where U.S. troops should be used?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › A Libertarian Approach To Foreign Policy
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy