Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › A Libertarian Approach To Foreign Policy
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A Libertarian Approach To Foreign Policy (Read 2474 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: A Libertarian Approach To Foreign Policy
Reply #60 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 7th, 2019 at 4:24pm:
Anyway, I think Turkey is still officially our NATO ally, which poses some problems for a UN response against Turkey... Certainly we need to revisit the NATO alliance, and get out of the UN.
By golly, you're right!  Turkey IS a UN member.

Jeff wrote on Oct 7th, 2019 at 4:24pm:
Do you really want the UN making decisions about how and where U.S. troops should be used?
Ever since it'e inception, the purpose of NATO is to keep Russia in check.

Yes, I think the UN should exert pressure on Turkey to safely repatriate 3 million Syrian refugees back to their country.  When I say "pressure", I mean diplomatic pressure - NOT military pressure.

Some symbolic sanctions would probably do the trick.  But the UN needs to do this - not Trump.

Trump is doing the right thing by pulling out US troops from Syria.   He had no business sending them there in the first place.

"If we end all taxpayer-subsidized involvement in foreign civil wars, we will no longer have self-created threats to American soil, and you will get to keep more of the money you earn."  - Arvin Vohra

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #61 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 7th, 2019 at 5:43pm:

Ever since it'e inception, the purpose of NATO is to keep Russia in check.

Take a broader view, and call it an alliance intended to be mutually beneficial to it's members, no matter where the threat might come from.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #62 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 6:30pm
Print Post  

Yes, I think the UN should exert pressure on Turkey to safely repatriate 3 million Syrian refugees back to their country.  When I say "pressure", I mean diplomatic pressure - NOT military pressure.

Sometimes the governments of countries aren't susceptible to diplomatic pressure. I think the current government of Turkey is at that stage, especially if they have formed an alliance with Russia.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #63 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 6:31pm
Print Post  

Trump is doing the right thing by pulling out US troops from Syria.   He had no business sending them there in the first place.

I thought he sent them to support the people Obama sent...

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #64 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 6:34pm
Print Post  

"If we end all taxpayer-subsidized involvement in foreign civil wars, we will no longer have self-created threats to American soil, and you will get to keep more of the money you earn."  - Arvin Vohra
"If we can only convince France to help us, we might be able to break free of English tyranny." The people who created America.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #65 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Sen. Lindsey Graham and Democratic Sen. Chris Van Hollen said they will introduce sanctions against Turkey if it attacks Kurdish forces in northern Syria. They will also ask NATO to give Turkey the boot:

"We will introduce bipartisan sanctions against Turkey if they invade Syria and will call for their suspension from NATO if they attack Kurdish forces who assisted the U.S. in the destruction of the ISIS Caliphate." said Graham.

Trump reiterated that it was time to end U.S. involvement in "ridiculous endless wars."

"We cannot be the policemen of the world." said President Trump.

Congress is in a two-week recess. They will resume lawmaking on Oct. 14.  Some democrats have skipped their two-week recess in order to continue their relentless attacks on Trump. 

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #66 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 11:33am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 8th, 2019 at 11:26am:
Sen. Lindsey Graham and Democratic Sen. Chris Van Hollen said they will introduce sanctions against Turkey if it attacks Kurdish forces in northern Syria. They also will ask NATO to give turkey the boot:

This will ensure that Turkey strengthens it's ties (both military and economic) to Russia and China. Probably that's their intent...

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #67 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 8th, 2019 at 11:33am:
This will ensure that Turkey strengthens it's ties (both military and economic) to Russia and China. Probably that's their intent...
Maybe so.

This looks bad for Trump, now that Linsay Graham has turned against him.   Graham is sending a powerful message to other senators that it's ok to throw the president under the bus if it means the US Military can remain involved in foreign conflicts.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #68 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 8th, 2019 at 11:45am:
Maybe so.

This looks bad for Trump, now that Linsay Graham has turned against him.   Graham is sending a powerful message to other senators that it's ok to throw the president under the bus if it means the US Military can remain involved in foreign conflicts.
Here's a timely opinion concerning the root of the problem, and Graham is part of it:

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/once-again-congress-is-content-to-remain-i...

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #69 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Duplicate - sorry.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › A Libertarian Approach To Foreign Policy
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy