Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Is the Federal Reserve Necessary for National Security Purposes?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Is the Federal Reserve Necessary for National Security Purposes? (Read 419 times)
kaz
Libertarian Freedom Member

Minarchist

Re: Is the Federal Reserve Necessary for National Security Purposes?
Reply #10 - May 31st, 2019 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
EWS wrote on May 31st, 2019 at 6:52pm:
Always funny to me that when progressives get a little power, they tend to stop all actual progress and growth.

Bam, for sure.  If they aren't calling the shots, they want to screw the rest of us and punish us

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Jun 2nd, 2019 at 9:11am
Print Post  
This is interesting... Too much regulation of banks created a few too big to fail banks, but it also created an incentive to do an end run around the banks and make use of all that 'money' that the Fed has flooded the economy with...

https://www.greenwichtime.com/business/article/A-new-credit-bubble-gets-ready-to...

The Fed is almost certainly helpless to stop it. Shocked

IP Logged

EWS
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on May 31st, 2019 at 7:03pm:
Bam, for sure.  If they aren't calling the shots, they want to screw the rest of us and punish us

IMO there is nothing progressive about progressives, there are regressive if anything.

When I was a young teen, 13ish, I thought of myself as a progressive conservative.  But not progressive in the way we currently think of it. I actually tried to think of way's to advance Americans, to increase progress of Humanity. Not by taking from the rich and giving to the poor. But by creating jobs and means for the poor to become rich. I wanted to do so by lifting all but the essential regulations on industry(i.e. anything that is obviously dangerous would have regulations to make it safer, etc...) thereby creating more jobs and higher paying jobs. What a novel idea right? 

So using the actual definition,  Progressive: Proceeding step by step, moving forward; I feel like it is the absolute wrong term for those that call them selves "Progressives"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #13 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
EWS wrote on Jun 4th, 2019 at 3:55pm:
IMO there is nothing progressive about progressives, there are regressive if anything.

When I was a young teen, 13ish, I thought of myself as a progressive conservative.  But not progressive in the way we currently think of it. I actually tried to think of way's to advance Americans, to increase progress of Humanity. Not by taking from the rich and giving to the poor. But by creating jobs and means for the poor to become rich. I wanted to do so by lifting all but the essential regulations on industry(i.e. anything that is obviously dangerous would have regulations to make it safer, etc...) thereby creating more jobs and higher paying jobs. What a novel idea right? 

So using the actual definition,  Progressive: Proceeding step by step, moving forward; I feel like it is the absolute wrong term for those that call them selves "Progressives"

Well, the best way to keep people progressing is to the maximal extent possible get government out of our way

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
EWS wrote on Jun 4th, 2019 at 3:55pm:

Agreed.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 7:34am
Print Post  
On topic, here's a bunch of informative articles concerning monetary policy.

https://www.cato.org/cato-journal/springsummer-2019?utm_campaign=Cato%20Journal&...

I haven't had time to read them yet, but thought others might be interested in some of them...

You're welcome!

IP Logged

BobK71

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
bblokk wrote on May 31st, 2019 at 10:00am:
If the Federal Reserve were to dissolve tomorrow, other central banks like PBOC or CBR can try to influence financial markets in the U.S. Is the Federal Reserve necessary for national security purposes?

This is the classic imperial/anti-imperial argument in favor of central banking: if we didn't have a CB to defend us, other countries would do it to us.  Look what the Bank of England did to France in the 18th century, or what the Fed did to the rest of the world over the 20th.

While that may be objectively true, a large, potentially self-sufficient, and capable-of-self-defense country like the US needs not play the game at all.  You can have your own style of economy as long as you seal off or tightly control trade with other countries and can defend yourself militarily.

In fact, this was the road taken by the US until the 1870s or so.  It laid the foundations of American strength.  Private-bank-issued paper money crashed quickly, people were wary of any paper money, and the economy was more of a free market as a result.

You see, modern, finance-enabled imperialism works through trade and exchange rates or money manipulation.  Countries which are small, weak, poor, and/or inept at financial 'engineering' are at the receiving end of what poses itself as a free-trade-based international order but is really a centrally-planned top-down system (and you're not at the top if you have to ask!)

There is evidence that central bankers of all countries are somehow incentivized to work in the interest of the imperial system and often against the real interests of their own countries.  Napoleon complained about this, and silver-rich countries France, Germany and the USA somehow all decided to throw silver out of the money system and support a gold-only system that benefited only the British, in the mid-19th century.

The fact remains, central banking in any country is set up for tighter control of money by the elites.  While this stabilized the system temporarily, it also incentivized rich and powerful people to destabilize the very system that benefits them so much.  Eventually, central bank money never avoids the fate of crashing or devaluation.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
BobK71 wrote on Jun 7th, 2019 at 2:55pm:
This is the classic imperial/anti-imperial argument in favor of central banking: if we didn't have a CB to defend us, other countries would do it to us.  Look what the Bank of England did to France in the 18th century, or what the Fed did to the rest of the world over the 20th.

While that may be objectively true, a large, potentially self-sufficient, and capable-of-self-defense country like the US needs not play the game at all.  You can have your own style of economy as long as you seal off or tightly control trade with other countries and can defend yourself militarily.

So you say, but it sounds to me as if you are deranged enough that you have lost touch with reality almost completely.

Why should I listen to you?

I suspect you might be a foreign enemy...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Is the Federal Reserve Necessary for National Security Purposes?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy