Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Parkland "Coward Of Broward" Is In Jail - Charged With 11 Felonies
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Parkland "Coward Of Broward" Is In Jail - Charged With 11 Felonies (Read 1360 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Parkland "Coward Of Broward" Is In Jail - Charged With 11 Felonies
Jun 5th, 2019 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Scot Peterson, 56, was arrested yesterday and charged with

• 7 counts of neglect of a child,

• 3 counts of culpable negligence, and

• one count of perjury,

according to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

He reportedly cowered behind a concrete wall for 48 minutes while the crazed gunman,  Nikolas Cruz killed 17 and injured 17 others at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas HS in Parkland, Florida.

Upon conviction, the felonies could mean a life sentence (97 years) for Peterson.

https://gunpowdermagazine.com/untitlebreaking-the-coward-of-broward-is-in-jail-c...

I think these charges are excessive. 

Clearly, Peterson should be fired as Sheriff's Deputy. 

He cannot function in a high-stress situation, and cannot be counted on to protect lives in a public school.

Many parents and family of the Parkland victims say Peterson should rot in prison.

I say probation and termination from any law enforcement position is a more fitting punishment.  Am I wrong?

Have I become another "bleeding-heart-liberal"?

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Re: Parkland "Coward Of Broward" Is In Jail - Charged With 11 Felonies
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jun 5th, 2019 at 4:43pm:

• one count of perjury,

He reportedly cowered behind a concrete wall for 48 minutes while the crazed gunman,  Nikolas Cruz killed 17 and injured 17 others at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas HS in Parkland, Florida.

Upon conviction, the felonies could mean a life sentence (97 years) for Peterson.

https://gunpowdermagazine.com/untitlebreaking-the-coward-of-broward-is-in-jail-c...

He cannot function in a high-stress situation, and cannot be counted on to protect lives in a public school.

Many parents and family of the Parkland victims say Peterson should rot in prison.

I say probation and termination from any law enforcement position.  Am I wrong?

LOL, I know what you're saying.  The thing is though he took that job.  Maybe he believed nothing would happen, but he still accepted that responsibility by choice.  And he let all those people die without trying.

A better solution would have been if more people were armed and the gunman didn't know who they were, but he was under an obligation to try, an obligation he willingly chose.  And it's not like this was the first school shooting, even if the odds were low.

I'd say it's a lot.  Not sure I'd say excessive though

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Little Biq Man
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 8:12pm
Print Post  

• one count of perjury,

I say probation and termination from any law enforcement position is a more fitting punishment.  Am I wrong?

Criminal liability is absurd.   Peterson is clearly not suited for police work, assuming that the media reports are correct.  He took a high salary for a job that also led to lucrative side work.  He was praised and thanked "for his service" and no doubt accepted many a meal, cup of coffee or box of donuts "on the arm."  In exchange, he was expected to literally put himself in the line of fire to protect people who have not been accepting all those perks for all those years.

He didn't meet those expectations.  He shouldn't be a cop.  But criminal prosecution is just more grandstanding and pandering.

Still, hard to feel too sorry for him.  He has participated in a process that often makes a sport of threatening people who want jury trials with multiple counts to scare them into pleading to one, innocent or not.  That's what's happening here, and being arrested - innocent or not - is part of that process.  He's on the wrong side of the cuffs after all these years.  Maybe he will gain some empathy.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 8:30pm
Print Post  

• one count of perjury,

I don't think so.

Bad things happened because he acted badly, in a cowardly fashion... Let's crucify him so everyone will feel better! Cheesy

What's the penalty for the shooter? Out on parole for good behavior after 7 years?

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 9:54pm
Print Post  

I don't know the answer to that. Insufficient input.

Logic is only ever a means, not a goal.

Without a goal, logic is a series of ifs and iffs trying to catch each other in a meaningless trapeze act.

What is the goal of punishment?

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 5th, 2019 at 9:54pm:
What is the goal of punishment?
Punishment is a way for society to exact payment for one's crime.  Atonement from the guilty is aspired, but not necessary.

Peterson doesn't need any atonement.  His dignity and reputation is destroyed.  He is ridiculed everywhere he goes.

A Prison sentence would be a waste of taxpayer money, IMO.  He will never be put in another situation where others are depending on him for their safety.

Meantime, the mass murderer, Nikolas Cruz is assembling a dream team to wheel and deal with the Courts to finagle a sweetheart deal with prosecutors.

Justice sure is wonky these days.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 7:16am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jun 5th, 2019 at 10:14pm:
Meantime, the mass murderer, Nikolas Cruz is assembling a dream team to wheel and deal with the Courts to finagle a sweetheart deal with prosecutors.

Yes, "progressives" have more and more been allowed to define "justice"...

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Punishment is a way for society to exact payment for one's crime.

Then there should be no punishment because it was lives that were lost.

There shouldn't be any punishment for murder, either.

Lives ≠ Money

Examine your conception that there can ever be payment for a crime logically. If there can be, why not let people pay in advance? Turn the world into Murder Park for the rich. If the "payment" is a prison sentence, let them pay someone else to serve it for them. You don't care, as long as the "debt" is "paid"... riiiight?

The idea that the criminals are "paying" for anything is absurd, mainly because they can't.

Since it is logically impossible to achieve your goal, you shouldn't bother with it.

He should obviously lose his job, though, because he's clearly terrible at it.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #8 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 10:13am
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Jun 5th, 2019 at 8:12pm:
Criminal liability is absurd.   Peterson is clearly not suited for police work, assuming that the media reports are correct.  He took a high salary for a job that also led to lucrative side work.  He was praised and thanked "for his service" and no doubt accepted many a meal, cup of coffee or box of donuts "on the arm."  In exchange, he was expected to literally put himself in the line of fire to protect people who have not been accepting all those perks for all those years.

He didn't meet those expectations.  He shouldn't be a cop.  But criminal prosecution is just more grandstanding and pandering.

Still, hard to feel too sorry for him.  He has participated in a process that often makes a sport of threatening people who want jury trials with multiple counts to scare them into pleading to one, innocent or not.  That's what's happening here, and being arrested - innocent or not - is part of that process.  He's on the wrong side of the cuffs after all these years.  Maybe he will gain some empathy.

All true except your conclusion.  I hope every donut eating soft cop out there taking what they think is easy work looks at this and what they would do in the same situation and decides it's time to retire.

As an "anarchist," you're supposed to believe that voluntary commitments are sacred, you know.  Since you don't believe in government force (sic).  You're the one who according to your pseudoidentity who should be calling for his head

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #9 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Punishment is a way for society to exact payment for one's crime.  Atonement from the guilty is aspired, but not necessary.

Peterson doesn't need any atonement.  His dignity and reputation is destroyed.  He is ridiculed everywhere he goes.

A Prison sentence would be a waste of taxpayer money, IMO.  He will never be put in another situation where others are depending on him for their safety.

I would agree other than I'd like every other Scott Peterson out there to ask themselves what they would do and if it's time to retire

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Parkland "Coward Of Broward" Is In Jail - Charged With 11 Felonies
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy