Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › It's the Anniversary of D-Day. So, What's to Celbrate?
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) It's the Anniversary of D-Day. So, What's to Celbrate? (Read 751 times)
Little Biq Man
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

It's the Anniversary of D-Day. So, What's to Celbrate?
Jun 6th, 2019 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
It was a slaughter.  Attacking an enemy who has had days to build up defenses is a suicide mission, in that people are nearly guaranteed to die.  Send men into battle against a positions some of the greatest engineers in the world have had years to harden and you get a disaster.  Just as we did.

According to vets who were their, the carnage depicted in "Saving Private Ryan" was no exageration.  In fact, the screams and crying of the wounded had to be toned down from reality so the audience could hear Forest Gump's snappy dialogue.

Sure, there were incredibly brave people who landed on the beach.  Or at least they were forced to display incredible bravery, thanks to conscription and the stigma attached to anyone who avoided it.  So, among those brave heroes were also young men who were scared out of their wits, but feared even more than death on the beach, the scorn of their families. 

So thousands died and for what?  To make the world safe for Democracy?  No, wait.  That was the first world war.  To bring about a new world order?  No . . . that was the first Gulf War, right?  I lose track.

Oh, yeah.  Now I remember.  Protecting the Soviet Union from - wait for it - tyranny!  It would be funny except I wouldn't want to anger any living vets of that invasion of which their are still a few around.

Imagine.  Those few still alive lived for seventy-four years after their comrades died.  So up to seventy-four years of life was taken from those young men in the name of "my statism is better than your statism."

Ptuey!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Re: It's the Anniversary of D-Day. So, What's to Celbrate?
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 6:10am
Print Post  
Lots of people in France celebrate D-Day as the beginning of their liberation from Nazi tyranny.

Go try to sell your goods to them...

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 8:42am
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Jun 6th, 2019 at 9:23pm:
It was a slaughter.  Attacking an enemy who has had days to build up defenses is a suicide mission, in that people are nearly guaranteed to die.  Send men into battle against a positions some of the greatest engineers in the world have had years to harden and you get a disaster.  Just as we did.

According to vets who were their, the carnage depicted in "Saving Private Ryan" was no exageration.  In fact, the screams and crying of the wounded had to be toned down from reality so the audience could hear Forest Gump's snappy dialogue.

Sure, there were incredibly brave people who landed on the beach.  Or at least they were forced to display incredible bravery, thanks to conscription and the stigma attached to anyone who avoided it.  So, among those brave heroes were also young men who were scared out of their wits, but feared even more than death on the beach, the scorn of their families. 

So thousands died and for what?  To make the world safe for Democracy?  No, wait.  That was the first world war.  To bring about a new world order?  No . . . that was the first Gulf War, right?  I lose track.

Oh, yeah.  Now I remember.  Protecting the Soviet Union from - wait for it - tyranny!  It would be funny except I wouldn't want to anger any living vets of that invasion of which their are still a few around.

Imagine.  Those few still alive lived for seventy-four years after their comrades died.  So up to seventy-four years of life was taken from those young men in the name of "my statism is better than your statism."

Ptuey!

The judges have come back and awarded you a double troll for this one.  Angry, ranting, designed for nothing but a reaction.  And you lace it with a complete lack of historical knowledge.

I recorded the judge's first reaction to your troll post on my mobile.  I had a feeling it would go over well.  Here it is.

And your double troll award.

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 9:45am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 7th, 2019 at 6:10am:
Lots of people in France celebrate D-Day as the beginning of their liberation from Nazi tyranny.

Of course they do because they were the only ones who deserved Nazi tyranny.

1. For being French (unforgivable)

and

2. For the Treaty of Versailles (still really bad)

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 10:03am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 7th, 2019 at 9:45am:

and

I have to admit that despite their reputation, the people in Paris were overwhelmingly pretty nice to me when I was there in May

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 10:05am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 7th, 2019 at 9:45am:

and

I see. You hold the people of France responsible for a treaty insisted on by their government, even though some in the French government said it was a bad idea...

That makes me responsible for the insane treaty that ended U.S. participation in the Korean War, and responsible for America getting involved in Vietnam too! Shame on me!

Edit: The French Nazis and collaborators, if any are still alive, probably don't celebrate D-Day.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Biq Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 12:25am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 7th, 2019 at 6:10am:

Go try to sell your goods to them...

I'd have no more success than I do trying to convince you that taking money out of my paycheck to send you your social security check isn't something to celebrate. Of course the French celebrate D-Day.  No French soldiers died that day. 

Like you, the Frenchies love their Freebies and look with scorn on those who pay the price for those freebies.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 1:29am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 7th, 2019 at 10:05am:
I see. You hold the people of France responsible

Nope. But the sad fact of the matter is that the People will in fact suffer for what their governments do.

And if Nazis justifiably attack or occupy France because France %$#&ed Germany, then I hold the French government responsible for the French Peoples' suffering.

kaz wrote on Jun 7th, 2019 at 10:03am:
I have to admit that despite their reputation, the people in Paris were overwhelmingly pretty nice to me when I was there in May

I don't think they're as rude and/or haughty as everybody says.

But do you know what tartare means?

Raw.

Steak tartare is raw steak.

I thought it was seasoned with tartar sauce.

Your planet is a shit hole.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Jun 8th, 2019 at 12:25am:
Of course the French celebrate D-Day.  No French soldiers died that day. 
French partisans were heavily involved in the overall invasion, and many of them did die that day, as they had been dying since the Nazi occupation of France began.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 7:46am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 8th, 2019 at 1:29am:
Nope. But the sad fact of the matter is that the People will in fact suffer for what their governments do.

And if Nazis justifiably attack or occupy France because France %$#&ed Germany, then I hold the French government responsible for the French Peoples' suffering.
You are correct that people suffer from government decisions, and yes, the Treaty of Versailles was a very bad idea, but it wasn't just the French government that signed it, and anyway, Hitler's Reich planned, at a minimum, European conquest.

The civilized solution to bad treaties is to re-negotiate them, not to institute a dictatorial government and start a war of conquest with a primary purpose of "purifying" the human race.

Edit: I do realize that there were not really any good governments in Europe at the time, and that the U.S. government was "progressive" enough at the time to think Hitler had a lot of good ideas... And Hitler thought England was "progressive" enough, and full of "Aryans", so that England would be a natural ally of Nazi Germany...

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › It's the Anniversary of D-Day. So, What's to Celbrate?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy