Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › It's the Anniversary of D-Day. So, What's to Celbrate?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) It's the Anniversary of D-Day. So, What's to Celbrate? (Read 512 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: It's the Anniversary of D-Day. So, What's to Celbrate?
Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 7:52am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 8th, 2019 at 1:29am:
Your planet is a shit hole.
Just because you don't like raw steak isn't enough justification to cal the entire Earth a shithole. How about Sushi?

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #11 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 8:13am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 8th, 2019 at 1:29am:
Steak tartare is raw steak

I did know that.  One of my favorite Korean dishes before I became a pescatarian was jeonju bibembap.  My wife was born in Seoul.  It it bibembap topped with raw beef and a raw egg yoke.

I ate my steaks barely cooked, it wasn't that much different.  I never got a chance to try steak tartare though

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #12 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 8:18am
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Jun 8th, 2019 at 12:25am:
Of course the French celebrate D-Day.  No French soldiers died that day

Once again from the government teacher comes ignorance.

"Nearly 3,000 French civilians in Normandy were killed on D-Day, almost as many as the number of Allied troops who died that day"

You really were a government teacher, weren't you?  I totally believe you.

And the French government had been conquered.  Of course there were no "French soldiers."  There was the French underground, who were counted as civilians

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 8th, 2019 at 7:52am:
Just because you don't like raw steak isn't enough justification to cal the entire Earth a shithole. How about Sushi?

My entire planet is vegetarian.

But like I said, logic is meaningless without goals.

If your goal is to get on Monsters Inside Me, I suppose eating all manner of raw meat is perfectly logical.

My goal in escaping my planet (well, one of them) was to eat meat, but not die of it.

Oppositions Rules for Surviving Earth Cuisine:
1. If it's bleeding, don't eat it.
2. If it's moving, don't eat it.
3. Don't eat anything you can't pronounce.

See this? Don't do this. You will get a lung fluke.

Bibimbap is great, though.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 11:28am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Jun 8th, 2019 at 8:18am:
Once again from the government teacher comes ignorance.

Of course there were no "French soldiers." 

https://militaryhistorynow.com/2016/05/04/hitlers-foreign-legions-nine-non-germa...

From the article:

"The Charlemagne Division, which was formed in 1943 by fascist paramilitaries and collaborators from across France, boasted 7,000-soldiers at its peak;"

You can learn more by searching for "Charlemagne Division".

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 11:31am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 8th, 2019 at 10:52am:
My entire planet is vegetarian.

Vulcan? Did Vulcans evolve as vegetarians, or was if some sort of rational decision that everyone made on their own?

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 8th, 2019 at 11:31am:
Vulcan? Did Vulcans evolve as vegetarians, or was if some sort of rational decision that everyone made on their own?

This is a serious question.

Do you call a cultural choice people are all but forced into, because otherwise, they'll be ostracised, "on their own"?

It's amazing that you don't understand this because it happens on your planet. Probably every planet.

A good example would be wearing clothes (which, okay, most humanoids do). But it's become such a societal norm that I don't know if you really comprehend just how much that choice has been forced on you, your whole life.

And no, I'm not a nudist. But I recognise that the reason I have qualms about nudity is cultural, not my choice.

Maybe nudism isn't the best example of horrible oppressive culture because wearing clothes won't kill you. Not getting any protein might, though. Fish is probably the best source of such, and most fish are barely sentient, so there's that too, but their meat is also full of mercury.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #17 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Jun 6th, 2019 at 9:23pm:
It was a slaughter.  Attacking an enemy who has had days to build up defenses is a suicide mission, in that people are nearly guaranteed to die.  Send men into battle against a positions some of the greatest engineers in the world have had years to harden and you get a disaster.  Just as we did.

According to vets who were their, the carnage depicted in "Saving Private Ryan" was no exageration.  In fact, the screams and crying of the wounded had to be toned down from reality so the audience could hear Forest Gump's snappy dialogue.

Sure, there were incredibly brave people who landed on the beach.  Or at least they were forced to display incredible bravery, thanks to conscription and the stigma attached to anyone who avoided it.  So, among those brave heroes were also young men who were scared out of their wits, but feared even more than death on the beach, the scorn of their families. 

So thousands died and for what?  To make the world safe for Democracy?  No, wait.  That was the first world war.  To bring about a new world order?  No . . . that was the first Gulf War, right?  I lose track.

Oh, yeah.  Now I remember.  Protecting the Soviet Union from - wait for it - tyranny!  It would be funny except I wouldn't want to anger any living vets of that invasion of which their are still a few around.

Imagine.  Those few still alive lived for seventy-four years after their comrades died.  So up to seventy-four years of life was taken from those young men in the name of "my statism is better than your statism."

Ptuey!

Anyone who can read this and still not be positive if burnsred/little bi(g/q) man is Don, isn't very bright.  This is a classic Don post

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 8th, 2019 at 12:01pm:
This is a serious question.

Do you call a cultural choice people are all but forced into, because otherwise, they'll be ostracised, "on their own"?

You're saying all Vulcans are vegetarians because they will be ostracized for eating flesh?

How did that come about? Since you aren't plant eaters by nature, somewhere along the line the change occurred... Why? Religious/moral reasons? A "cultural choice" isn't very specific...

I'm getting the fact that the Vulcan culture is "horribly repressive"... In what other ways besides shaming people who eat flesh?

Edit: I'm interested in why/how cultures become repressive.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Jun 8th, 2019 at 3:29pm:
Anyone who can read this and still not be positive if burnsred/little bi(g/q) man is Don, isn't very bright.  This is a classic Don post
You're starting to become a classic troller...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › It's the Anniversary of D-Day. So, What's to Celbrate?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy