Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › It's the Anniversary of D-Day. So, What's to Celbrate?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) It's the Anniversary of D-Day. So, What's to Celbrate? (Read 710 times)
The Opposition
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: It's the Anniversary of D-Day. So, What's to Celbrate?
Reply #20 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 8th, 2019 at 3:55pm:
You're saying all Vulcans are vegetarians because they will be ostracized for eating flesh?

How did that come about? Since you aren't plant eaters by nature, somewhere along the line the change occurred... Why? Religious/moral reasons? A "cultural choice" isn't very specific...

I'm getting the fact that the Vulcan culture is "horribly repressive"... In what other ways besides shaming people who eat flesh?

Edit: I'm interested in why/how cultures become repressive.

Because not being repressive is worse.

In short, if the solution is terrible, it's possible the problem was worse.

But you'll probably end up drugging and brainwashing your entire populace before you'll admit you need to just have some %$#&ing restraint.

In a thread about celebrating killing a bunch of people in war. Oddly fitting.

Anyway, I stand by my assertion that the Germans had every right to do whatever they wanted to the French. If the only way to stop the French from killing the German economy with that treaty (and yes, people starved) was to fight, then war is the answer.

...A terrible answer to a worse problem.

However, if my country "won" a war, even a justified war against a horrible aggressor, I wouldn't celebrate it; I'd be sad so many people had to die.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 6:44am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 8th, 2019 at 9:48pm:
Because not being repressive is worse.

In short, if the solution is terrible, it's possible the problem was worse.

I'm creating a picture in my mind of the planet Vulcan in a state of total anarchy where Vulcans have resorted to cannibalism in order to survive... Is that what happened that led to complete repression and a taboo against eating any meat at all?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 6:48am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 8th, 2019 at 9:48pm:
In a thread about celebrating killing a bunch of people in war. Oddly fitting.

Anyway, I stand by my assertion that the Germans had every right to do whatever they wanted to the French.
D-Day is actually a celebration of the beginning of the end of Nazi tyranny in Europe and a way to honor everyone who gave their life to help end it.

Only a violent evil sociopath would justify the conquest of Europe and the Holocaust by referring to the Treaty of Versailles.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Biq Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote yesterday at 12:25am:
Of course the French celebrate D-Day.  No French soldiers died that day

kaz wrote on Jun 8th, 2019 at 8:18am:
Once again from the government teacher comes ignorance.

"Nearly 3,000 French civilians in Normandy were killed on D-Day, almost as many as the number of Allied troops who died that day"

Do you really not understand why my words in green are not disputed by your words in pink?

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 9th, 2019 at 6:48am:
Only a violent evil sociopath would justify the conquest of Europe and the Holocaust by referring to the Treaty of Versailles.

Did I do that? Or was I just referring to the invasion of France?

This is identical to the argument we're having in the dog bite thread, except you're admitting here that sometimes, no, you can't self-defend because the only self-defence available is something impermissible.

I'm not even trying to argue, just trying to get you to tell me what the moral option is, which you won't do.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 6:47am
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Jun 9th, 2019 at 9:57pm:

Do you really not understand why my words in green are not disputed by your words in pink?

I think the Charlemagne Division was in Poland on D-Day, fighting the Russians... Maybe some French soldiers were killed on D-Day, but it was probably by Russians rather than Americans or Canadians or Brits.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #26 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 6:49am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 9th, 2019 at 10:10pm:
Did I do that? Or was I just referring to the invasion of France?

I'm not even trying to argue, just trying to get you to tell me what the moral option is, which you won't do.
The moral option as I see it was to help Europeans free themselves from Nazi tyranny.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #27 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 7:05am
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Jun 9th, 2019 at 9:57pm:

Actually, I do understand it.  Which is why I addressed it in the post you took that quote from.  You cut that part out.

kaz wrote on Jun 8th, 2019 at 8:18am:
Once again from the government teacher comes ignorance.

"Nearly 3,000 French civilians in Normandy were killed on D-Day, almost as many as the number of Allied troops who died that day"

You really were a government teacher, weren't you?  I totally believe you.

And the French government had been conquered.  Of course there were no "French soldiers."  There was the French underground, who were counted as civilians

And so what you just argued is that the French don't care about D-Day because French soldiers didn't die, French civilians did.  Angry, word parsing, ignorant.  The committee has awarded you a troll recognition!

Another stupid quote, Don.

Don:  The French would have cared if French soldiers died, they don't care because it was French civilians.

What's even sadder is I saw that word parse coming because you're lame and proactively addressed it in my response, and you went there anyway.

We really do need more posters on the site so we can afford a proper troll

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Little Biq Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #28 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 10th, 2019 at 6:49am:
The moral option as I see it was to help Europeans free themselves from Nazi tyranny.

Nobody loves to daydream about the morality of war more than a chickenhawk.

Just out of curiosity, you think the U.S. military is so awesome and  you even support conscription if I recall correctly - so why did you never step up and serve?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Jun 10th, 2019 at 4:26pm:
Just out of curiosity, you think the U.S. military is so awesome and  you even support conscription if I recall correctly - so why did you never step up and serve?

I think that if conscription is necessary to save the country, it should be used.

I didn't volunteer to fight during Vietnam because I didn't want to be involved in a "war" being fought to lose by politicians. That's the only way I could see it, that the intention was to expend a lot of lives and treasure proving that communist patriots in even a fairly small nation could defeat the mighty U.S.

Had I really believed the domino theory, and that having all of Southeast Asia communist was really a threat to America, and that the politicians running the war actually intended to let the U.S. military win it, I might have volunteered.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › It's the Anniversary of D-Day. So, What's to Celbrate?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy