Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Uh Oh - Here We Go Again With The Gay Wedding Cake Thing
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Uh Oh - Here We Go Again With The Gay Wedding Cake Thing (Read 1543 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Uh Oh - Here We Go Again With The Gay Wedding Cake Thing
Reply #20 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 10:51am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Jun 9th, 2019 at 10:09am:
A law that would require a doctor to treat a gay person (or a black or whatever) is screwed up on multiple levels.

1) Who would want treatment from someone treating you at gunpoint?

2) It almost never happens.  Wasn't it Pittsburgh where medically trained Jews in the congregation treated the shooter?

3) So for something that almost never happens, we give government a massive power to force citizens to serve each other.  Government abuses any and all power.  They may turn around and force citizens to bake each other cakes and photograph each other's weddings.  Oh yeah, they already did ...
+1

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Jun 9th, 2019 at 9:21am:
Wouldn't that be up to the community?  If the doctors don't like having to treat gay people, shouldn't they just move to a community that doesn't require it?

Obviously not. They have a right to refuse service, same as anyone else. This isn't the same as the other issue at all.

It apparently escapes you completely that a law that would require a doctor to treat means that he has to do it for free.

What happens when the person who says he's being discriminated against won't pay? Still gotta treat him, or it's discrimination.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 9th, 2019 at 11:58am:
It apparently escapes you completely that a law that would require a doctor to treat means that he has to do it for free.

That doesn't follow logically at all.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Biq Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Jun 9th, 2019 at 10:09am:
A law that would require a doctor to treat a gay person (or a black or whatever) is screwed up on multiple levels.

1) Who would want treatment from someone treating you at gunpoint?

The same people who want their kids educated using money taken at gunpoint.  The same people who want to live on Social Security checks taken at gunpoint.

Quote:
2) It almost never happens.  Wasn't it Pittsburgh where medically trained Jews in the congregation treated the shooter?

3) So for something that almost never happens, we give government a massive power to force citizens to serve each other.  Government abuses any and all power.  They may turn around and force citizens to bake each other cakes and photograph each other's weddings.  Oh yeah, they already did ...

Once you accept the idea that - by a vote - people can use government to force others to do things for them at gun point, then it isn't a moral issue anymore.  It's about where the votes are.  You clearly do believe that - by vote - it is OK for people to use government to force others to do their bidding at gunpoint. 

So don't vote for (through representatives, executives and the judges they select) it to be done for gay folks' wedding cakes but do vote for it to be done for public schools.  That's perhaps your only right under our current system.  But don't complain about the results and say you still support that system.

Your standard for me to object to taxes for public schools was to explain how I would stop it without force.  How will you stop government from forcing bakers to bake for people they are prejudiced against without force?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Jun 9th, 2019 at 2:54pm:
Once you accept the idea that - by a vote - people can use government to force others to do things for them at gun point, then it isn't a moral issue anymore.
Yes it is, because you are talking about an immoral form of government, a democracy.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 9th, 2019 at 2:47pm:
That doesn't follow logically at all.

Does a doctor have a right to refuse service or not?

Your standard for me to object to taxes for public schools was to explain how I would stop it without force.  How will you stop government from forcing bakers to bake for people they are prejudiced against without force?

What does it matter? We're talking about what's moral versus immoral.

If you can't understand the difference between a community deciding to tax for public schools, and a doctor being forced to provide a service, you're a fool.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #26 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 5:01pm
Print Post  

I'm against government schools, jackass.  I wrote this for Opposition, but apparently it's for you too:

http://www.libertariansforum.com/cgi-bin/freedom/YaBB.pl?num=1559329833/0

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Jun 9th, 2019 at 5:01pm:
I'm against government schools, jackass.

Then make a winning argument against them.

LBM is arguing that if government schools are okay, forcing doctors to provide service is okay too.

That's idiotic and it doesn't follow.

-SnarkySack

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #28 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 9th, 2019 at 5:04pm:
Then make a winning argument against them.

You're stupid as shit.  I created a thread for you

http://www.libertariansforum.com/cgi-bin/freedom/YaBB.pl?num=1559329833/0

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #29 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 9th, 2019 at 5:04pm:
LBM is arguing that if government schools are okay, forcing doctors to provide service is okay too.

That's idiotic and it doesn't follow.

Why would I want to do that since I'm agsaint forcing doctors to provide service and I'm against government schools?

You and the little guy are stupid as shit.  That's why I created the thread for you

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Uh Oh - Here We Go Again With The Gay Wedding Cake Thing
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy