Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › What Liberties/Rights is the Government Withholding?
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What Liberties/Rights is the Government Withholding? (Read 397 times)
Little Biq Man
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

What Liberties/Rights is the Government Withholding?
Jul 2nd, 2019 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
If we are libertarians, it stands to reason (to me) that we think that the current Republicrat government is not adequately protecting our rights or is actively taking our rights.

Which are the most important and which should any elected libertarian lawmaker/executive/judge work on first?

IP Logged

Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: What Liberties/Rights is the Government Withholding?
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Jul 2nd, 2019 at 6:32pm:
If we are libertarians...
You aren't. Who else are you including in "we"?

Anyway, here's a problem in the Chief's state:

https://reason.com/2019/07/02/california-police-agencies-were-supposed-to-make-m...

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2019 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
1)  Taxation/redistribution.  End it once and for all.

2)  Military (and economic) intervention in Foreign Affairs.  Stop with the Nation-building.  Stop the regime changes.   They have NEVER worked, and always end in disaster.

3)  Gov't Debt and deficit spending.  These must stop.

4)  "Shall Not Be Infringed".   Reverse gun control laws which violate Amendment II  -  there's a boatload of them.

5)  Immigration.    Initiate a Guest Visa program ASAP and put an end to all of the nonsensical immigration snafus we now have.  A Guest Visa program eliminates the need for asylum or amnesty.

6)  Restore Amendment IV rights.   No unlawful searches and seizures.  No gov't spying on citizens without a warrant. 
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2019 at 2:16am by SkyChief »  

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2019 at 1:39am
Print Post  
I feel the right to benefit for following the law is being denied.

Laws exist, but breaking them is rewarded over following them.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

yamcha
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 1:37am
Print Post  
Freedom of association.
People should not be forced to go to schools outside of their neighborhood because of their skin color, because someone wants to force equality.  No more Affirmative action or Fair Housing Act.

Businesses should have the absolute right to hire and provide service to whoever they want for good, bad or no reason at all.  Let the free market decide if they will stay afloat or not.

Compulsory education.
Children who prefer to go out and support themselves or their families instead of going to school should be free to.  If you think that kids might not be able to make the right decision about this then they are free to go back to school whenever they want and at any age.

« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2019 at 3:46am by yamcha »  

IP Logged

Dr.Entropy

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 4:21am
Print Post  
I say we get rid of laws passed in the name of expediency, laws that exist not because they ban behavior that's harmful to others but because it is convenient to have those laws on the books (such as laws against vagrancy).

Also I believe we should restore the right to personal independence including the right to be left alone, the right to freedom of lifestyle, the right to freedom from surveillance, the right to disconnect and to choose whether or not to use a given technology, and a right to be self-sufficient.

IP Logged

yamcha
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 5:47am
Print Post  
Dr.Entropy wrote on Jul 8th, 2019 at 4:21am:
I say we get rid of laws passed in the name of expediency, laws that exist not because they ban behavior that's harmful to others but because it is convenient to have those laws on the books (such as laws against vagrancy).

I absolutely agree that vagrancy is not a crime.  No Victim, no crime.  What is your opinion on loitering?  Like, let's say a bunch of homeless setting up tent right on the public sidewalk directly in front of your door.

IP Logged

Dr.Entropy

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Jul 8th, 2019 at 5:47am:
I absolutely agree that vagrancy is not a crime.  No Victim, no crime.  What is your opinion on loitering?  Like, let's say a bunch of homeless setting up tent right on the public sidewalk directly in front of your door.

If they are not obstructing my freedom of movement or the freedom of movement of others, or making loud noises (>50 dB at a range of about 1 yard), or causing light pollution (>.5 watts of light emitted), or generating obnoxious odors, or leaving trash around, or harassing me/others, or threatening me/others, or conducting surveillance on me/others, or committing other such acts of direct or indirect violence on me/others then I suppose I would be cool with it. They would need to ninja up.

IP Logged

yamcha
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
Dr.Entropy wrote on Jul 8th, 2019 at 11:21pm:
They would need to ninja up.

As in being undetectable?  Cheesy

IP Logged

yamcha
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
Dr.Entropy wrote on Jul 8th, 2019 at 11:21pm:
If they are not obstructing my freedom of movement

Well, I guess they would be obstructing your freedom of movement if you decide you don't want to walk around them.  They are squatting on public property and not yours though.

I guess this is a bit of a reverse eminent domain issue.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › What Liberties/Rights is the Government Withholding?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy