Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Legalizing All Drugs
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Legalizing All Drugs (Read 112 times)
yamcha
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Legalizing All Drugs
Jul 7th, 2019 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
If you were to have asked me 10 years ago if pot should be legalized I would say sure why not, potheads are chill.  But if you were to ask me the same question about heroin or meth I would be like, HOLD ON NOW! I DON"T KNOW!

Now after doing more research and understanding more I found that the substance that is most dangerous and may have a case for banning is booze.  It is the only substance proven to cause aggression after its intake.  They say the best odds you have of getting murdered is to go drinking with a family member!  A cop once told me that in 95% of the cases where police need to be dispatched, there is alcohol involved.  Whether it be Domestic violence, rape, murder, suicide, assault, vandalism, etc, there is almost always alcohol involved.

The majority of other substances such as downers usually make you phase out and want to go into the corner and be tranquil while the uppers like speed and coke make you talkative and hyper but don't compel you to have violent behavior.

While I have not made any main point(s) nor have I covered all the substances. I (myself, have very limited substance use experience.)  I don't think I've ever heard of someone holding up a bank, kidnapping someone for ransom or taking others hostage in order to feed their drug habit.  The physical withdrawal doesn't last long enough for people to carry out those plans.

There is petty crime such as stealing and sometimes more serious things such as burglary or mugging in order to obtain money for drugs but the majority of these kinds of crimes are committed by people who just want things that aren't theirs.  they want your smartphone or whatever you have in your wallet.

So even though I do not support drug use and I think it generally destroys a person's personal desire and passion for life, I say yeah, why not, as long as you don't force me or my family to do it, deface my neighborhood and you don't pass out on my lawn.
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2019 at 6:02am by yamcha »  

IP Logged

SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Legalizing All Drugs
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2019 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Jul 7th, 2019 at 9:49pm:
Now after doing more research and understanding more I found that the substance that is most dangerous and may have a case for banning is booze.  It is the only substance proven to cause aggression after its intake. 

In 1920, sales and transporation of booze was outlawed pursuant to Amendment XVIII.

It was called "Prohibition" and was the second stupidest, most anti-Liberty, anti-Freedom Amendment in the History of the United States.

Fortunately, Congress realized how many people were being killed as a result of the Law, and in 1933 they repealed that piece of crap.!! (Amendment XXI  effectively repealed Amendment XVIII)

Now, if only they would repeal the 16th, that'd be swell.

IP Logged

yamcha
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2019 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jul 7th, 2019 at 9:59pm:
In 1920, sales and transporation of booze was outlawed pursuant to Amendment XVIII.

It was called "Prohibition" and was the second stupidest, most anti-Liberty, anti-Freedom Amendment in the History of the United States.

Fortunately, Congress realized how many people were being killed as a result of the Law, and in 1933 they repealed that piece of crap.!! (Amendment XXI  effectively repealed Amendment XVIII)

Now, if only they would repeal the 16th, that'd be swell. 

Yeah, I know all about that.  One really interesting thing I read about Prohibition was that lots of people were getting it legally anyways through prescription, just like how people were getting pot before it was legal in some states.  Doctors were prescribing it for basically the same ailments as MJ.

IP Logged

Dr.Entropy

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 4:48am
Print Post  
A cop once told me that in 95% of the cases where police need to be dispatched, there is alcohol involved.  Whether it be Domestic violence, rape, murder, suicide, assault, vandalism, etc, there is almost always alcohol involved.

Is this the reason Saudi Arabia has a low murder rate?  Huh

Seriously though, marijuana should be legalized and all other recreational drugs should either be legalized or decriminalized with simple possession or use being legalized. You could make the case that drug dealers are taking advantage of drug user's dependency to make a profit, but I'd say that warrants maybe a heavy fine at most and not prison.

Your point is well taken. If something as dangerous as alcohol is legal then why not the other drugs?

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Now after doing more research and understanding more I found that the substance that is most dangerous and may have a case for banning is booze.  It is the only substance proven to cause aggression after its intake.  They say the best odds you have of getting murdered is to go drinking with a family member!  A cop once told me that in 95% of the cases where police need to be dispatched, there is alcohol involved.  Whether it be Domestic violence, rape, murder, suicide, assault, vandalism, etc, there is almost always alcohol involved.

This is all 100% true... except there being a case for banning it.

I once likened it to releasing a rabid animal into the street or intentionally getting bitten by a werewolf.

I got schooled.

Libertarians' rights to risk others > Your safety

Interestingly, releasing a rabid animal into the street could be considered aggression, because there is no Human will remaining between the risk and the eventuation of that risk.

For example, tiger ownership could be outlawed because the risk comes from the tiger, not the person owning it. The tiger could get out and attack on its own. No rights are violated when tiger ownership is outlawed.

Drinking until you become as aggressive as an animal, or even intentionally seeking out a werewolf bite so you can become a dangerous animal... these acts are fine and not aggression. If actual aggression occurs, punish the individual then.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jul 8th, 2019 at 11:07am:
This is all 100% true... except there being a case for banning it.

I once likened it to releasing a rabid animal into the street or intentionally getting bitten by a werewolf.

I got schooled.

Libertarians' rights to risk others > Your safety

Interestingly, releasing a rabid animal into the street could be considered aggression, because there is no Human will remaining between the risk and the eventuation of that risk.

For example, tiger ownership could be outlawed because the risk comes from the tiger, not the person owning it. The tiger could get out and attack on its own. No rights are violated when tiger ownership is outlawed.

Drinking until you become as aggressive as an animal, or even intentionally seeking out a werewolf bite so you can become a dangerous animal... these acts are fine and not aggression. If actual aggression occurs, punish the individual then.
Blah blah lizard.

Libertarians consistently support punishing people who harm others intentionally and holding people who accidentally harm others liable for the harm. (That includes harm to the property of others.)

Libertarians also understand that keeping animals includes taking on responsibility for harm/damage the animals cause.

No one has any "right" to put others at risk, but you do have a right to risk yourself, provided you are a competent adult, which I don't think you are... Kiss

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Legalizing All Drugs
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy