Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Voting rights only for property owners
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Voting rights only for property owners (Read 980 times)
yamcha
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Voting rights only for property owners
Jul 7th, 2019 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
Does this make sense to you?  Or do you think democracy is an antiquated concept and should be replaced perhaps?

Only people who are invested in a piece of the nation to be allowed to have a vote on national policy, laws and regulations?   As a renter, it would give me in a lot of incentive to work my way up to property owner.

Let's say they there was a proposition on your state ballot that if passed would require anyone who owned a property to rent out one of the rooms to low-income or minority tenant for very cheap or free. Who do you think would vote yes? The property owner or the one with nothing to his name?  Those who don't usually even vote would come out in droves to get this proposition passed. The majority being disenfranchised in this case is the whole point. Good things are hard to get.

This is my proposal:

1. Only property owners who own the ground land get to vote. This is important because merely owning a flat in a high rise doesn't cut it. You don't actually own the land and that building can come down any time without your consent.

2. In order to vote you will have to own a certain amount of square footage minimum. I propose a 1-acre minimum. This way some guy can't just buy a property the square footage of an outhouse in the back of an alley and start voting for propositions that will get him in a bigger house for free.

3. The more acreage you own the more votes you are allocated. So if you lets say you own 3.4 acres then you are allotted 3 votes etc. Only the ground space you own is counted so if you buy 2 acres of land and build a 10 story apartment building, you do not get 20 votes, you get 2 votes.

This is how a publicly run corporation works in a free market and I think it is the fairest way. People who own land will vote for policies that make their land prosperous and if everyone with land voted this way then we all would be living on a great land, renters included.

It's about skin in the game to me and I say this as a RENTER.  (lost my house during the 2010 mortgage crisis.)
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2019 at 7:15pm by yamcha »  

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Voting rights only for property owners
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
I'm all for it!    Smiley

My Voter Proficiency Exam will improve the electorate even further.

http://www.libertariansforum.com/cgi-bin/freedom/YaBB.pl?num=1478104325/0

These things will make the redistributionist(*) lawmakers shake in their (jack)boots! 

*  redistributionist:  relating to the belief that wealth should be redistributed.

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Chief,

What I am proposing is voting rights only for landowners so any kind of poll or IQ test wouldn't be required.

But the thing is, the poll you propose is a bit of biased thought-control or guilt psychology. The kind of stuff they do in re-education camps.

Libertarianism is not my religion.  I would be happy to live under a monarchy if I were to be left alone to my own devices.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
I think that's fair for the native-born.

But let immigrants vote regardless. Give them a vote equal to the person who holds an average amount of property.

To do otherwise could be seen as a form of oppression.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jul 8th, 2019 at 9:12pm:
I think that's fair for the native-born.

But let immigrants vote regardless. Give them a vote equal to the person who holds an average amount of property.

To do otherwise could be seen as a form of oppression.

So are you talking about legal immigrants and naturalized citizens or do you mean illegals too?

I don't know about oppression since everyone has the freedom to own property if they can afford to.

I think this is a good part of it but not the fundamental reason. It's just like a public corporation, the shareholders who paid money to buy a piece of the company (stock) should be the only ones who have a say in which way the company goes and they will vote in the best interests of the company by voting for their own best interests even if it is a vote to absolve that company.

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Come to think of it, another problem is mortgage slaves. A mortgage makes it too easy to own and lose property so perhaps it would be better if mortgages were no longer an option and all U.S. property had to be paid for upfront and in full. The central bankers would hate this.

No property tax of course!

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 1:32am
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Jul 8th, 2019 at 8:51pm:
Chief,

What I am proposing is voting rights only for landowners so any kind of poll or IQ test wouldn't be required.

But the thing is, the poll you propose is a bit of biased thought-control or guilt psychology. The kind of stuff they do in re-education camps.

Libertarianism is not my religion.  I would be happy to live under a monarchy if I were to be left alone to my own devices.

Fair enough.

Forget the Voter Proficiency Exam!

Let the land owners vote.   I support your plan 100%!

Smiley

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 11:22am
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Jul 8th, 2019 at 9:29pm:
Come to think of it, another problem is mortgage slaves. A mortgage makes it too easy to own and lose property so perhaps it would be better if mortgages were no longer an option and all U.S. property had to be paid for upfront and in full. The central bankers would hate this.

No property tax of course!

The institution of debt keeps prices high, and people in what is essentially bondage, but it's a very libertarian one.

You don't want to go into debt? Don't.

You won't be able to compete with the people who do, so you'll starve, but you do have that choice, no one can force you, and that's what libertarianism is all about.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jul 9th, 2019 at 11:22am:
The institution of debt keeps prices high, and people in what is essentially bondage, but it's a very libertarian one.

You don't want to go into debt? Don't.

You won't be able to compete with the people who do, so you'll starve, but you do have that choice, no one can force you, and that's what libertarianism is all about.

Do you mind rewriting this in dumber language for me? I don't quite follow.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Jul 8th, 2019 at 8:51pm:
Chief,

Not at all.

My Voter Proficiency Exam is simply a way to screen "bad" votes.

It's really more of a quiz than an exam. . . Just 3 or 4 common knowledge questions that any 8th grader should know.        Here are a couple of sample questions :

What are the 3 branches of government?

a)  Legislative, Judicial, and Financial
b)  Financial, Labor, and Entitlements
c)  Legislative, Executive, and Judicial
d)  Energy, Trade, and Foreign Affairs

What are the functions of Congress?

a)  Codify Civil Liberties and Recommend jurists on the Supreme Court
b)  Oversee the House of Representatives and suggest replacements.
c)  Make Laws and conduct investigations to oversee the Executive Branch.
d)  Oversee the IRS and expand the Bill of Rights.

Now, that's not anywhere near "biased thought-control", is it?   Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Voting rights only for property owners
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy