Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › No licenses for no nothing!
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) No licenses for no nothing! (Read 774 times)
yamcha
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

No licenses for no nothing!
Aug 1st, 2019 at 5:30am
Print Post  
No licensing for any profession at all.  Certification is only optional.  Certification would probably be in your best interest but that is up to you.

No licenses for driving a car or operating any machinery!

If licensuring was truly for the public's interest and safety then the public would be lobbying for it but they aren't.

Licensing does not guarantee competence!  It is a scam!

Accredited Certification is probably a scam too.  Certification of certification?

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Re: No licenses for no nothing!
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 10:23am
Print Post  
What about medical licensing? I'm against medical licensing, but I get flattened in an argument every time I say so.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 10:33am
Print Post  
I don't know. 

There are some professions where it is clearly just regulatory capture, hairdressers and what not.

There are some where public safety and human life are a factor; engineers, doctors and what not.  Still some of the licensing requirements there are just for regulatory capture too. 

I personally think tort law as a way to handle this stuff is pretty stupid for the most part.  That would be a much more costly way to deal with many of these issues. 

Voluntary certification isn't a terrible idea and wouldn't be that hard a transition as the licensing institutions are all semi-private anyway.

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 10:40am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Aug 1st, 2019 at 10:23am:
What about medical licensing? I'm against medical licensing, but I get flattened in an argument every time I say so.

There used to be many kinds of medicine being practiced alongside with Allopathy such as Homeopathy, Chiropractic, Naturopathic, Oriental, etc until the Allopaths decided to lobby the government to force licensing and only if you are a certified Allopath.

They basically wanted to get rid of the competition.

Maybe Allopathic medicine is the best but I still want more choices and I want to be able to prescribe medicine to myself or just buy whatever pills I want with no regulation.  Who knows more about my body than me?

Licencing does not guarantee competence as I said and neither does it protect from malpractice.  Licensing just makes service more expensive.  It is a form of monopoly.

I do prefer to go to a guy that has certification even if it's from another country.

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 10:44am
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Aug 1st, 2019 at 10:33am:
Voluntary certification isn't a terrible idea and wouldn't be that hard a transition as the licensing institutions are all semi-private anyway. 

No, they are not dude, they are all government agencies.  Where are you getting licensed? Which state?

Do you want to sell food?  Which city?  Which county?

You want a guy with certificates then go to him. 

The guy that fixes my car is awesome and he isn't certified or licensed.  He works from home and I pay him cash and have introduced many customers to him over the years.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 11:00am
Print Post  
I think there should be licensing for pilots.

Think of the mayhem and loss of life and property if pilots were not licensed!   Shocked

Yamcha, would you board a commercial plane if the pilot and co-pilot were NOT licensed?

Be honest, now.

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 11:14am
Print Post  
I will be Chief.  And the answer is yes.  Who do you think most wants the plane ride to be safe?  Licencing and competence is not the same.  I am willing to fly in your plane and I have no idea if you are even certified.  I know you don't want to die.

While we are at it I think you should be honest too.  You hate the progressives because you hate that they want the coloured 3rd world illegals in.  Would you be ok if we let all the 3rd worlders in but deported all progressives?  Or would you be ok to keep the progressives if they only wanted 1st world western Europeans in and maybe a few East Asians?

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 11:15am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Aug 1st, 2019 at 11:00am:
Yamcha, would you board a commercial plane if the pilot and co-pilot were NOT licensed?

Be honest, now.

I don't think he would, which is a great case for voluntary licensing.

I would, but only if it was you.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 11:20am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Aug 1st, 2019 at 11:15am:
I don't think he would, which is a great case for voluntary licensing.

I would, but only if it was you.

I would love to get drunk with the Chief a couple of miles up.  Seriously, I would.  I know that he knows how to sly and is still alive and I know he would want to stay alive and return home to his husband and kids.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Aug 1st, 2019 at 10:23am:
Does it have positive effects to license doctors and nurses and nurse practitioners and practical nurses and physical therapists and make-up artists and hair braiders etc?

Is there a downside, costs that are incurred by requiring all that licensing?

Which prevails, the benefit, or the cost?

Libertarians look at these sorts of things rationally and try to be dispassionate when drawing conclusions, prejudiced always by or desire to maximize liberty in all sorts of ways, without endangering civilization...

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › No licenses for no nothing!
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy