Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › No licenses for no nothing!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) No licenses for no nothing! (Read 775 times)
yamcha
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: No licenses for no nothing!
Reply #30 - Aug 3rd, 2019 at 11:38am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Aug 3rd, 2019 at 11:35am:
This seems cruel but other than the fact that the builder may be the one at fault, I wouldn't mind living in that world for the assurance against murderers it provides.

Of course, this is assuming that the structure collapsed because of bad design and not bad construction.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #31 - Aug 3rd, 2019 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Aug 3rd, 2019 at 11:02am:
Right, but you do understand that a world where people don't get punished for killing people accidentally (or even get punished less) just invites real killers to feign incompetence.

Obviously the O-ring wasn't one such incident, but there's infinite potential there for people to get away with murder.
NASA has been negligent before and will be again, even if it's only negligent in properly overseeing the sub-contractor designs it accepts.

It seems that people working for the government tend to get some sort of implied sovereign immunity too...

Both Boeing and the FAA were negligent in designing and approving the flight control software for the 737 Max. People died. Nobody in the FAA will be held responsible. Boeing will, and it seems the FAA is now out to ruin them, because the 737 Max fleet is still grounded.

It seems to me they could simply delete the part of the program that caused the problem. It's not necessary anyway... But the FAA, to prove after the fact that they really are careful, is probably going to make Boeing re-certify the entire aircraft.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #32 - Aug 3rd, 2019 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Aug 3rd, 2019 at 11:35am:
This seems cruel but other than the fact that the builder may be the one at fault, I wouldn't mind living in that world for the assurance against murderers it provides.

If I didn't want to take the chance of being put to death, I simply wouldn't design parts for NASA. This would have the effect of making sure people who do build the new and innovative are paid a premium (which they deserve) and also make sure they're as careful as possible. I'm sure some people are being as careful as possible anyway, but I'd be happy to have that assurance.
People make mistakes, especially if they are under pressure to meet deadlines.

Architects make mistakes, so do builders, so do people who provide materials to builders... Come to think of it, homeowners/building owners make mistakes too, and any of them can make mistakes that cause people to die.

Mistakes aren't murder and you won't be put to death for making them, but you might be severely penalized.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #33 - Aug 3rd, 2019 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Aug 3rd, 2019 at 11:38am:
Of course, this is assuming that the structure collapsed because of bad design and not bad construction.
The guys at the stone quarry were at fault, they provided the builders of Hammurabi's palace with bad stone!

Edit: His favorite concubine was killed. Cry

No one was surprised when he had the builder killed, then the architect, and finally the quarry men...

Edit 2: Hammurabi and the architect were pals, golf buddies who belonged to the same elite clubs... That's why he killed the builder first in this instance... Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2019 at 5:28pm by Jeff »  

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #34 - Sep 5th, 2019 at 7:56am
Print Post  
Another large unintended(?) bad consequence of occupational licensing:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/business/jobs-after-prison-rhode-is...

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #35 - Sep 5th, 2019 at 11:12am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 5th, 2019 at 7:56am:
Another large unintended(?) bad consequence of occupational licensing:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/business/jobs-after-prison-rhode-is...

There are only so many good jobs. Mathematically, less than half of all jobs can be better than average. Why should the convicted felon get one?

I understand you don't think he should be excluded. I don't either.

But dear Reason if anyone is going to be last in line, I can't think of a group that ought to be there rather than convicted felons.

Yes, he's turned his life around. Good for him. If he ends up better off than a person with identical drive and potential who did not commit those crimes, that's a failure of the system.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #36 - Sep 5th, 2019 at 11:27am
Print Post  
The journey from chains to handcuffs.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #37 - Sep 5th, 2019 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Sep 5th, 2019 at 11:27am:
The journey from chains to handcuffs.

Must you inject your racism into everything?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #38 - Dec 1st, 2019 at 11:46am
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Aug 1st, 2019 at 5:30am:
No licensing for any profession at all.  Certification is only optional.  Certification would probably be in your best interest but that is up to you.

No licenses for driving a car or operating any machinery!

If licensuring was truly for the public's interest and safety then the public would be lobbying for it but they aren't.

Licensing does not guarantee competence!  It is a scam!

Accredited Certification is probably a scam too.  Certification of certification?

You aren't required to get a license to operate a car unless you want to drive it on government roads.  What a stupid idea to not require any license to establish you can safely drive on roads we all paid for without killing us, pass.

On accreditation though, I agree.   I think we should have as you said optional accreditation.  It should also be legally mandated to accurately and clearly display whether or not you have a government accreditation.  However, government using guns to make your choices for you is bull and shouldn't happen

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #39 - Dec 1st, 2019 at 11:49am
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Aug 1st, 2019 at 10:33am:
I don't know. 

There are some professions where it is clearly just regulatory capture, hairdressers and what not.

There are some where public safety and human life are a factor; engineers, doctors and what not.  Still some of the licensing requirements there are just for regulatory capture too. 

I personally think tort law as a way to handle this stuff is pretty stupid for the most part.  That would be a much more costly way to deal with many of these issues. 

Voluntary certification isn't a terrible idea and wouldn't be that hard a transition as the licensing institutions are all semi-private anyway. 

I mostly agree except the end where you said the licensing institutions are semi-private.  When government removes your choices, it is effectively government.

I don't have a problem with government determining which doctors meet their standards, but no way government should have the power to use guns to prevent you from using the doctor of your choice if you know the don't meet government standards

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › No licenses for no nothing!
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy