Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Problems With Red Flag Laws And The 4th Amendment
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Problems With Red Flag Laws And The 4th Amendment (Read 2780 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Problems With Red Flag Laws And The 4th Amendment
Reply #10 - Aug 6th, 2019 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Aug 6th, 2019 at 5:03pm:
Lawmakers are willing to push Constitutional rights aside in favor of safety.
That's substantially incorrect Chief, because the promised safety doesn't appear.

What happens is the problems gets worse, and other, often even worse problems arise.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Aug 6th, 2019 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Chief,

What do you think would be a good gun just for home protection for a person with no gun shooting experience?  Seems like a lot of people like Glocks but I think a revolver would be easier to handle in a stressful situation.  Someone told me that a shotgun would be best but to load the first round with a blank since just the sound of the blast alone should be enough scare any robber.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 1:48am
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Aug 6th, 2019 at 7:55pm:
Chief,

What do you think would be a good gun just for home protection for a person with no gun shooting experience?  Seems like a lot of people like Glocks but I think a revolver would be easier to handle in a stressful situation.

The revolver is better than any semi-auto pistol for a person with no gun shooting experience.   

Smith & Wesson 627 Pro Series is an 8-shot revolver, has a 3 inch barrel and is easy to handle.  Accuracy is not an issue with the short barrel since your target will rarely be more than 30 feet away. 

The 627 is also available in a 4-inch or a 5-inch barrel. Even a 6.5-inch barrel. Naturally, these are heavier. Dirty Harry might choose the 6.5 inch barrel.   The 3-inch barrel would be best for home defense.

yamcha wrote on Aug 6th, 2019 at 7:55pm:
Someone told me that a shotgun would be best but to load the first round with a blank since just the sound of the blast alone should be enough scare any robber.
This is a load of crap.

NEVER EVER load blanks into a weapon that you must rely on for protection.  Seriously.

Shotguns are too cumbersome for home defense IMO.

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 2:04am
Print Post  
Thanks Chief.  I live in a really nice area of the OC so I have never thought about owning a gun but I feel now is a good time.  I just don't feel as safe as I used to.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 2:13am
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Aug 7th, 2019 at 2:04am:
Thanks Chief.  I live in a really nice area of the OC so I have never thought about owning a gun but I feel now is a good time.  I just don't feel as safe as I used to.

Did you know. . . . .

Irvine has the lowest violent crime (per capita) IN THE NATION.   

For the 15th consecutive year!    Smiley

I'd still recommend getting a revolver for home defense.   

When the dollar collapses, things will go south real fast, and people will become desperate.  Even friends turn on friends in desperate times. 

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 2:31am
Print Post  
Yeah, I do and it has been that way for a few decades now but still.  I don't live in a gated community.

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 2:34am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Aug 7th, 2019 at 2:13am:
When the dollar collapses, things will go south real fast, and people will become desperate.  Even friends turn on friends in desperate times. 

This is off-topic but do you remember when we were still in the cold war and there were guys who built underground bomb shelters with enough supplies to last for decades?

A lot of young people think the past was a breeze when they look at the music, movies and TV shows during that time but we were always living in fear of the Bear and that all we had could be erased at any moment.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 7:57am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Aug 7th, 2019 at 1:48am:

The revolver is better than any semi-auto pistol for a person with no gun shooting experience.   

People with no experience shooting guns should consider some other form of home defense. I'd recommend the pepper spray game wardens use for Grizzly bears...

If you want to get a gun, find one that fits your hand and is comfortable for you to shoot. Practice with it until you know where the controls are and don't have to turn on the light to see where the safety is and try to decide if it's on or off...

Punp action shotguns are quite effective because of the noise they make when you rack in a shell. Shocked

The ideal for home defense is to not have to shoot somebody when they are in your house. It makes a big mess, and you can damage your home.

If you know of a safe wall to shoot through, or somewhere in your floor you can shoot through without doing expensive damage to your home, you can just do that when you hear someone breaking in. Call 911 and then let off a shot... Or rack your pump shotgun.

Ideally, the intruder will leave. Smiley If not, have a gun that's comfortable for you to shoot and that you've practiced with.

There are so many good options for guns and ammunition these days it can be confusing. If you know nothing and want to learn, join a shooting club.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 7:59am
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Aug 7th, 2019 at 2:34am:
This is off-topic but do you remember when we were still in the cold war and there were guys who built underground bomb shelters with enough supplies to last for decades?

Our elite politicians and their rich cronies are doing that now. I bet their shelters are much bigger and nicer than the typical Cold War era shelter... If you know where one is, post it's location on the internet, thanks. The people who are building them intend to be the rulers of whatever/whoever is left after they have to use their shelters... I don't think that's a good idea for the rest of us who might survive.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 8:24am
Print Post  
Back to red flag laws:

https://reason.com/2019/08/06/to-stop-mass-shooters-trump-says-we-should-make-in...

From the article:

"We should not lose sight of that fact that mass murder is volitional behavior, as tempting as it may be to speculate about the killer's motives or mental state."

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Problems With Red Flag Laws And The 4th Amendment
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy