Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Senator Josh Hawley: GOP's Latest Threat to Freedom
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Senator Josh Hawley: GOP's Latest Threat to Freedom (Read 146 times)
Little Biq Man
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Senator Josh Hawley: GOP's Latest Threat to Freedom
Aug 7th, 2019 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
So Senator Josh Hawley (R) MO, is determined to make a name for himself by going after google and other social media.  They provide a wide array of incredibly useful services which would not be available at any price in countries that lack our freedoms and they provide it for free.

He is shocked or he pretends to be shocked that our phones track our location and that "the consumer cannot meaningfully opt out."  I found a great way to meaningfully opt out, just the other day.  I accidentally left my phone at home.  Google didn't track me the whoooooole day!

There are four kinds of people when it comes to "data privacy."  People who don't know that "their data" is being collected and used to funnel relevant advertising to them, people who don't care that this is being done, tinfoil hatters who fear it and politicians who want to exploit the tinfoilers.  Although I'm kind of a mix of the first two, I guess. 

Uh-oh.  My wife just turned on our "smart TV."  Now, Silicon Valley will be able to keep more tabs on me.  Well, perfect timing, I guess.  The smart TV can read this post from across the room as I'm typing it and send a good report on me to Mark Zuckerberg and the rest of the Big Data conspirators.

I'm safe for now!

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Senator Josh Hawley: GOP's Latest Threat to Freedom
Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
LBM,

I understand your privacy concerns and it used to piss me off too.  But then if we think about it realistically, how is a transcript of your conversation in bed with your wife going to make Google a million bucks?  Or how would anyone make money off pictures of me?

Sure in principle it is wrong but there isn't much you can do unless you want to go full Taliban.

What is scarier is the shift from cash to electronic payment.  What we talk about doesn't represent us, our actions do and if they can track every purchase we make then that is real power over us.  Not only would it give them our location but show them our true political views.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 6:42am
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Aug 7th, 2019 at 9:07pm:
So Senator Josh Hawley (R) MO, is determined to make a name for himself by going after google and other social media.
TwoParty solidarity is now out in the open.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Biq Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2019 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Aug 7th, 2019 at 9:36pm:
LBM,

I understand your privacy concerns and it used to piss me off too.  But then if we think about it realistically, how is a transcript of your conversation in bed with your wife going to make Google a million bucks? 

LoL, that would be comedy GOLD!  My wife is autistic and a nymphomaniac.  She is very demanding that I do exactly what she wants at every moment and she has to talk loud because I am hard of hearing.

Quote:
Or how would anyone make money off pictures of me?

Comedy gold, again?

Quote:
Sure in principle it is wrong but there isn't much you can do unless you want to go full Taliban.

What is scarier is the shift from cash to electronic payment.  What we talk about doesn't represent us, our actions do and if they can track every purchase we make then that is real power over us.  Not only would it give them our location but show them our true political views.

You missed my point which was that only a fool thinks facebook google and the others are giving away services and not getting anything out of it.

The transition away from cash, I agree with you on.  They will gradually ban it if they can.

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Aug 9th, 2019 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Aug 9th, 2019 at 7:13pm:
You missed my point which was that only a fool thinks facebook google and the others are giving away services and not getting anything out of it.

The transition away from cash, I agree with you on.  They will gradually ban it if they can.

No, I got your point.  I am like you and the first 2 types of people who don't know and don't care that much. 

But yeah, it's weird.  So check this out.  I only use the Google Pixel phone.  Pixel is Google's flagship line. Anyone Who uses a Pixel device is given lifetime unlimited storage of high definition photos and video as long as they upload from that phone.  So that means I can turn on the 4K camera and record 24/7 video for free.

So I have to ask myself, why would they just give that to me for free?  Why are my images worth that much to them?  It's scary.

Another thing is that after people get so used to just having their stuff stored in the cloud they don't care about backing up anymore.  So what if one day something happens where Good or Apple denies them service and lock their account?  All gone?

I use the Brave browser and it is exactly like Google Chrome but it blocks all ads, trackers and scripts.  I see no ads or pop ups and pages load faster.  You might want to try.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Senator Josh Hawley: GOP's Latest Threat to Freedom
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy