Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Legitimacy of Titles
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Legitimacy of Titles (Read 193 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Legitimacy of Titles
Reply #10 - Aug 13th, 2019 at 8:26am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Aug 11th, 2019 at 1:59pm:
Well I have, and I'm asking the question. Is this really the best libertarian argument against the article?: "Lol, that guy has never heard of [insert libertarian book]." What does the invisible hand have to do with gains from cronyism being legitimate or illegitimate anyway?

I'm not asking you to refute it libertarian-style (in other words, by claiming you know more and to just trust you). I'm asking you to refute it for an impartial party.

The argument bases itself on gains from cronyism being illegitimate. Are they? I think it's a leap from that to seizing those gains, anyway. But I don't have a clear picture of where the disconnect is, exactly.
If the King takes my property and gives it to you, do libertarians think that's a voluntary transaction?

Is that what you're asking? The answer is no. Libertarians think redistribution of wealth by government force is wrong, sinful and tyrannical.

I think it's pretty clear that we should depose the King and hang him, and I should get my property back from you. Probably you should be punished for being a crony... You knew it was wrong didn't you?

How far do they want to go with this?

Let's say I was forced to "contribute" to Social Security and they gave all my "contributions" away... Then, when I was a certain age, they started sending me money they took from other people...

That gets more complicated... I'll settle for just getting my "contributions" back, with interest of course. Smiley

Edit: Most of the people they gave my money to spent it and died... That makes it more complicated... If they didn't spend it, but invested it instead and then left it to their heirs, should I get it back from their heirs?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Aug 13th, 2019 at 8:36am
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Aug 12th, 2019 at 12:53am:
I wonder if Jeff is OK.  Haven't seen him around.  He is one of our older members and I sure hope nothing bad has befallen him or that he hasn't taken ill.  Hopefully, he is just out enjoying a weekend trip.
Any time away from you is pleasurable! Smiley What I was doing was fun. I was "off the grid".

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Aug 13th, 2019 at 8:39am
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Aug 11th, 2019 at 9:53pm:
I wonder how land that has been abandoned or forsaken be dealt with.  New owners keepers, losers weepers I guess
People stop paying property taxes on land when they abandon it, so the county/city will sell the land.

Sometimes you can get really good deals, but mostly people don't abandon valuable land.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Legitimacy of Titles
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy