Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Should the USA Grant Titles of Nobility?
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Should the USA Grant Titles of Nobility? (Read 499 times)
Jacob
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Should the USA Grant Titles of Nobility?
Aug 11th, 2019 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
And how soon will the Dark Tower series become reality?

IP Logged

Little Biq Man
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Should the USA Grant Titles of Nobility?
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2019 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
In effect, the government already gives titles of nobility.  The deed to my home makes me King of my Castle.  If I had a large farm or ranch, I would be lord of the manor.  With the nobility of the past, maintaining that title was at the pleasure of the king.  The king could take the title and the land from any nobleman who displeased him.  But that was very rare.

In the United States, government can also take land away from people at its pleasure.  The only difference is that it is much more common than under a feudal system.

Government is government.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2019 at 6:24am
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Aug 12th, 2019 at 7:46pm:
In effect, the government already gives titles of nobility.
Nope. The theory in America is that every individual is born a King and the government is our servant.

The deed to your property is nothing but official recognition that you own your property. It's a useful service performed by government.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jacob
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2019 at 6:35am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Aug 13th, 2019 at 6:24am:
Nope. The theory in America is that every individual is born a King and the government is our servant.

The deed to your property is nothing but official recognition that you own your property. It's a useful service performed by government.

Right on!

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2019 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Aug 13th, 2019 at 6:24am:

Are you saying that Little q Man could own land without government?

How would that work?  When has that worked?  Please provide several examples, thanks.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2019 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Aug 13th, 2019 at 1:40pm:

How would that work?  When has that worked?  Please provide several examples, thanks.

Well, I owned my land briefly between the time I paid for it and the time the deed was re-recorded with me as the owner... And technically I've always owned it "without government". When I bought it from the previous owner, it became mine. Imagine that!

If the government disappears as anarchists keep hoping, I'll still own my land and I'll still have the deed that proves it... Why would my ownership cease if the government disappeared?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Biq Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2019 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote Today at 1:40pm:
Quote:

How would that work?  When has that worked?  Please provide several examples, thanks

Welcome back, Little B Man!  I thought that you were finally tired of trying to teach pigs to sing . . .

Jeff wrote on Aug 13th, 2019 at 2:21pm:
Well, I owned my land briefly between the time I paid for it and the time the deed was re-recorded with me as the owner... And technically I've always owned it "without government". When I bought it from the previous owner, it became mine. Imagine that!

No foolin'?

How did the person you bought it from get his deed?  Just print it up from his apple computer or did he use crayon and construction paper?

What's that you say?

He got it from whom

Sorry, I can't understand you when you look down and mumble. 

Did you say he got it from the rubber mint?  What's that?

The flubber dent?  What?

Oooooh.  The govern-mint.  Well, that sounds like exactly what I've been saying. 

Hm.

Quote:
If the government disappears as anarchists keep hoping, I'll still own my land and I'll still have the deed that proves it... Why would my ownership cease if the government disappeared?

Oh, it wouldn't.  In fact, the government is the most likely people to take  your land from you.  The government gave itself that power, you know.  You do know that, don't you?

Now, in an anarchist world, which no on on here advocates, roving gangs might take a fancy to your land and move in.  Show 'em the deed and they will likely wipe their asses with it. 

That's one of the few things that government can do that no one else can do:  grant ownership of land and enforce that ownership (until it decides not to).

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 6:48am
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Aug 13th, 2019 at 8:06pm:
How did the person you bought it from get his deed?  Just print it up from his apple computer or did he use crayon and construction paper?

You know, I bought a used lawn tractor, and the guy I bought it from wrote up a bill of sale for me. It's just as good as a deed, except it's not recorded in the County Courthouse.

And I do own that lawn tractor totally without government! Smiley

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 6:52am
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Aug 13th, 2019 at 8:06pm:
In fact, the government is the most likely people to take  your land from you.  The government gave itself that power, you know.  You do know that, don't you?
Why don't you explain what you're talking about?

It can't be the limited power of eminent domain, because that was granted to the government by the people in the Constitution.

Perhaps you're talking about regulatory takings? I agree, they are unconstitutional and must be stopped.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Biq Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Aug 16th, 2019 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Aug 14th, 2019 at 6:48am:
You know, I bought a used lawn tractor, and the guy I bought it from wrote up a bill of sale for me. It's just as good as a deed, except it's not recorded in the County Courthouse.

And I do own that lawn tractor totally without government! Smiley

Right, you didn't even need the bill of sale.  The tractor was morally and legally yours.

If he sold you the land that he used the tractor on, I guess he could write up a deed for you also.  If you never request that the government record the deed, would it be yours legally?  How about morally? 

Suppose you went to record the deed and the government person said, "Oh, he sold it to you?  He didn't want to sell it to the government.  No problem, the hearing just ended (between the time you bought the land and the time you tried to record the deed).  I guess you'll get the fair price the government decided on."

Imagine your surprise that the fair price is about half of what you just paid for it!  No wonder your good buddy didn't want to sell!

Let me guess?  You'll SUE your friend for fraud!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Should the USA Grant Titles of Nobility?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy