Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Tommy the Idiot
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Tommy the Idiot (Read 1289 times)
yamcha
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Tommy the Idiot
Reply #10 - Sep 4th, 2019 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Sep 3rd, 2019 at 10:35am:
Maybe Tommy the Idiot was trying to give people a way to stand against laws that hurt them even if those laws don't technically violate their rights.

No, Tommy made is so now you have emminent domain and have to pay property tax, the death tax.  Tommy didn't know what he was saying this time.  You never know, he could have been drunk or on shrooms when he decided to change it.

IP Logged

AlayneLeung

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Sep 7th, 2019 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
I think "pursuit of happiness" was used instead of "property" because the Americans wanted their independence from England.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Sep 7th, 2019 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
AlayneLeung wrote on Sep 7th, 2019 at 12:39pm:
I think "pursuit of happiness" was used instead of "property" because the Americans wanted their independence from England.
I think it's because lots of people already knew that property didn't make them happy.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 4:05am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 7th, 2019 at 4:48pm:
I think it's because lots of people already knew that property didn't make them happy.

OK, then why the pursuit of happiness instead of just the straight up right to happiness?

That is the whole point!  Happiness is intangible, undefinable and personal.  No one can give it or take it from you just like no one can take away your opinion or thoughts.  The pursuit of happiness is NOT a goal for anyone with half a brain and hence, pursuit.

Tell me, how do I pursue happiness and when in history has there ever been an entity whose purpose was to infringe on happiness?  The government will invest countless amounts of time and money to take away your property and guns but not your happiness since it doesn't exist.

Gramps, this is why you can't understand Oppo and why he thinks libertarians abuse rights.

The United States Constitutional Republic was built on the concept of immutable rights. Nearly all Americans have bought into this idea, believing individual rights are the path to freedom and prosperity. However, “immutable rights” is but another bill of goods that has further enslaved us and others.

You do not understand right vs responsibility.  The Bill of Rights was a compromise between the constitutional framers and the anti-federalists who opposed the Constitution as originally framed. In theory, the Bill of Rights protects the “unalienable rights” of “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness,” among other things. But have life, liberty, and happiness been advanced or protected since the first Ten Amendments were ratified? Since the Bill of Rights was adopted, have we had less government intrusion or has the Constitutional Republic merely licensed and limited those rights?

I expect you to evade the questions, as usual.

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 4:13am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Aug 20th, 2019 at 11:27am:
If he had left Locke's credo alone, there would be no Amendment XVI, and no Income Tax.

How so?  How would having the eternal right to your property stop them from taxing your labor?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 10:01am
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Oct 8th, 2019 at 4:05am:
OK, then why the pursuit of happiness instead of just the straight up right to happiness?
A "right" to be happy? Do you think that could actually exist?

If it was actually a right, everybody would possess it, and people like you who would like to see "niggers" (your term) erased/deleted, could only be happy by having millions of people murdered, which might make them unhappy... It would certainly make me unhappy...

But yes, you have a right to try to be happy, just like you have a right to try to become wealthy, or at least comfortably prosperous... Smiley

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 10:06am
Print Post  
In theory, the Bill of Rights protects the “unalienable rights” of “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness,” among other things
Which of the first ten amendments says that?

If you're going to rant and rave and expect to be taken seriously, you should at least know what you're talking about.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 10:11am
Print Post  
But have life, liberty, and happiness been advanced or protected since the first Ten Amendments were ratified? Since the Bill of Rights was adopted, have we had less government intrusion or has the Constitutional Republic merely licensed and limited those rights?
Since the New Deal Court upended the Constitution and granted (by fiat rulings) unlimited powers to tax and legislate to the government, our rights have been increasingly abridged and denied.

Don't blame the original Constitution.

As I have said (and was argued by people opposing a Bill of Rights), the enumeration of certain rights has been used to maintain that those are all the rights we have. They are not. As free people, we possess unlimited rights, subject only to the responsibility to respect the equal rights of others, and a few abridgements resulting from the enumerated grants of power to our government.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 10:14am
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Oct 8th, 2019 at 4:13am:
How so?  How would having the eternal right to your property stop them from taxing your labor?
I work to create property, and the property produced by my labor is mine. Taxing either my property or the labor that produces it is Direct taxation.

Chief refuses to understand the actual reason for the 16th Amendment, or the fact that the original grant of taxing power includes the power to tax incomes.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 8th, 2019 at 10:14am:
Chief refuses to understand the actual reason for the 16th Amendment, or the fact that the original grant of taxing power includes the power to tax incomes.
I understand that the 16th Amendment gave Congress power to tax.

"The power to tax is the power to destroy." - John Marshall

"Any time power is granted to the government, it is done at the expense of the liberty of the governed."  - SkyChief

Neither of the above quotes mean anything to you. 

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Tommy the Idiot
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy