Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › False Advertising
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) False Advertising (Read 552 times)
The Opposition
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: False Advertising
Reply #30 - Sep 7th, 2019 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 7th, 2019 at 11:20am:
Neither Oppo nor I live in a fantasy world, Jeff. 

That's right. I don't live in a fantasy world. Not anymore anyway. They banished me.

I can't even concoct a pleasant fantasy world. Even in my imagination, everywhere I might exist is a horrible dystopia.

That tells you something truly great about me: I don't overlook any of the ways things could go wrong. I don't assume people are good and society will just work out if we just do away with government or make it smaller, redistribute wealth, stop punishing criminals, etcetera. I'm aware of every way the ruiners will ruin any society.

When things are great, positive people are the result. You don't need people seeing problems that aren't there. They ignore little problems as the whitewash starts to peel. The people bothering about little stuff when life is generally good aren't as successful.

The trouble is, when the fence starts actually rotting, the people trying to tell people it needs fixing are up against an indestructible monolith of positivity. They spin their wheels, they're not heard, and things just keep getting worse. Now there are a couple stray dogs in the yard, but so what? Things are still okay.

So it seems positive people are advantaged at every turn. Why the royal %$#& would there be negative people? Wouldn't they just die out?

Well, when the fence actually collapses and the problems can't be ignored anymore, because people start actually starving, you can't afford to be positive. Yeah, sure, we can have extra rations today. We can share with that guy. I'm sure it'll be better tomorrow. The hunt will bring us all the meat we need.

Yeah... no it won't.

Positive guy = Dead.

In an actual crisis, the tables are turned.

Only the one who assumes the worst lives.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #31 - Sep 7th, 2019 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 7th, 2019 at 12:09pm:
Anyway, classical liberals are talking about practical ways to approach actualized libertarian ideals in the real world.  "What if pigs flew and laid eggs" scenarios aren't much help for that.   Neither are seasteading fantasies.
Classic liberals are willing to make compromises regarding government's scope and purpose.  You want a "smaller" government, but think it's okay for the government to take a person's wealth by coercion or force as long as the law gives government the power to take it.

Libertarians believe the government has no moral right to take a person's wealth by coercion or force.  Period.
We want to repeal the bad laws which grant power to the government to rule over us.

We are NOT anarchists.   Anarchy is a State devoid of Laws.   We are minarchist.  Huge difference.

We want the smallest government possible, and we want the small government to respect and protect the individual's rights and property..

“Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure." - Mark Skousen

IP Logged

DRK
Libertarian Member

Reply #32 - Sep 7th, 2019 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
False advertising should be illegal, because it's the same thing as fraud.

Fraud is a form of coercion because it swindles someone, which takes from a person without their (true) consent.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #33 - Sep 7th, 2019 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
DRK wrote on Sep 7th, 2019 at 2:20pm:
False advertising should be illegal, because it's the same thing as fraud.

Fraud is a form of coercion because it swindles someone, which takes from a person without their (true) consent.

From my experience, a libertarian will always find a difference and make that difference relevant.

I don't know if it can be considered the same as fraud first because they care called different words, and secondly because someone is only defrauded (even if we accept the premise) if they buy the product. Certainly if no one buys the product then there was no fraud.

I also see a way to commit what is essentially fraud in a way to avoid technically committing fraud. If I lie to you about my own product, then (if we accept the premise) that is fraud if you buy the product.

But if Skychief decides on his own to tell you my unicorns are easy to feed, then obviously I have not defrauded you even when you end up with a picky unicorn that won't eat anything but the freshest acorns from the last Great Oak in existence, and never frozen, so you must make the trek to the tree every day.

So the question I have is... could I hire Skychief to lie and say my unicorns are not picky?

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #34 - Sep 7th, 2019 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Sep 7th, 2019 at 2:45pm:
From my experience, a libertarian will always find a difference and make that difference relevant.

I like you better when you are a silly dweeb... (Is "dweeb" a forbidden term? Probably not, since only men are dweebs... Grin Grin Grin)

When you are an annoying dweeb, you're like a nasty skin infection.

I mean that in a good way. You're like a really POWERFUL skin infection. Cheesy

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #35 - Sep 7th, 2019 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Sep 7th, 2019 at 2:45pm:
So the question I have is... could I hire Skychief to lie and say my unicorns are not picky?
Make him an offer.  Edit: Heck, I'll do it for you. Make me an offer. I don't mind negotiating in public. Kiss

Like I said, this is when I like you best. Kiss Kiss

Edit: The kind of work you want done, I'll do cheap.. Make an offer. I'll undercut the Chief until he offers to pay you to let him do it. Cheesy

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #36 - Sep 7th, 2019 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Is "May cause psychotic episodes in some people" enough of a disclaimer when it's in very small print on the back of a pill bottle?

I say yes, as long as the pills are only going to be dispensed by professionals, and prescribed by credentialed Psychiatrists with Medical degrees...

What could go wrong? Who would be liable?

I know for a fact that the the credentialed Psychiatrists with Medical degrees get big print versions of the possible side effects and complications...

Don't they have primary responsibility when someone they prescribed a drug for has the drug cause a psychotic episode and become a school shooter?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #37 - Sep 7th, 2019 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 7th, 2019 at 5:50pm:
Is "May cause psychotic episodes in some people" enough of a disclaimer when it's in very small print on the back of a pill bottle?

I say yes, as long as the pills are only going to be dispensed by professionals, and prescribed by credentialed Psychiatrists with Medical degrees...

What could go wrong? Who would be liable?

I know for a fact that the the credentialed Psychiatrists with Medical degrees get big print versions of the possible side effects and complications...

Don't they have primary responsibility when someone they prescribed a drug for has the drug cause a psychotic episode and become a school shooter?
Are not fundamental libertarian ideals involved here Chief?

Is this "false advertising" worm?

I think it is, of the very worst sort.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #38 - Sep 7th, 2019 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 7th, 2019 at 1:39pm:
Classic liberals are willing to make compromises regarding government's scope and purpose.
No. Classical liberals believe the government should never be granted any power unless it is expressed by the will of the people through their duly (and fairly) elected representatives.

Classical liberals are all about governments being limited by laws approved of by the people.

Who ever approved of having their wages or salary taxed without apportionment? Who agreed to have the fruit of their labor taken by an unlimited power to tax?

Who ever approved of having the federal and state governments take control of commerce?

Do you think that's what was intended Little Bowel Movement?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #39 - Sep 7th, 2019 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 7th, 2019 at 7:22pm:
Do you think that's what was intended Little Bowel Movement?

That's sort of rude, isn't it LBM?

I think that's why I like it so much. Smiley Smiley Smiley

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › False Advertising
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy