Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The 4 Tiers Of Justice
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The 4 Tiers Of Justice (Read 1715 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The 4 Tiers Of Justice
Reply #60 - Sep 28th, 2019 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 28th, 2019 at 9:16am:
A good idea has been introduced in Congress!

Will they follow through?

https://reason.com/2019/09/27/can-a-federal-judge-sentence-you-for-a-crime-your-...

I have a little experience with this.

Many years ago I sat as a juror on a felony assault case involving an 18 year old boy living at home with his mom and sister.  Sister was 17 (a minor) and had a 41 year old boyfriend.  Mom told 41 yr old boyfriend to stay away from Sis, and that he was not to enter their house or property. EVER.

Mom is away doing something,  old man comes a knockin' to hook up with Sis.  Sis invites him in.  Defendant comes out of his room and beats snot out of 41-yr old man. . . bad enough that old man sought medical treatment.

We (the jury) acquitted the lad, given the circumstances. The boy had no priors.   But Judge disallowed the acquittal and sentenced the boy to 12 months probation and compulsory anger-management therapy.

We were shocked that the Judge could over-rule our Not Guilty verdict.

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The 4 Tiers Of Justice
Reply #61 - Sep 28th, 2019 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 28th, 2019 at 12:39pm:
I have a little experience with this.

Many years ago I sat as a juror on a felony assault case involving an 18 year old boy living at home with his mom and sister.  Sister was 17 (a minor) and had a 41 year old boyfriend.  Mom told 41 yr old boyfriend to stay away from Sis, and that he was not to enter their house or property. EVER.

Mom is away doing something,  old man comes a knockin' to hook up with Sis.  Sis invites him in.  Defendant comes out of his room and beats snot out of 41-yr old man. . . bad enough that old man sought medical treatment.

We (the jury) acquitted the lad, given the circumstances. The boy had no priors.   But Judge disallowed the acquittal and sentenced the boy to 12 months probation and compulsory anger-management therapy.

We were shocked that the Judge could over-rule our Not Guilty verdict.
It certainly turns the idea of a jury trial upside down. "Progressives" seem to like to turn everything upside down.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The 4 Tiers Of Justice
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy