Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Executive Branch Departments
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Executive Branch Departments (Read 1521 times)
Little Big Man
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Executive Branch Departments
Reply #100 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote Today at 6:05am:
Quote:
If you intend to try to understand the Constitution, step one should be reading it.

But you don't want to understand it so you?

Little Biq Man wrote on Sep 12th, 2019 at 6:55am:
I'm not as in love with it as you are.  Perhaps that is because I understand how it has been used  to increase the power of the central government.  I'm not surprised since the stated purpose of the constitution was to increase the power of the central government.

You are in love with a fantasy version of the Constitution that is a bulwark against congressional overstepping.  It isn't because it was never intended to be.

That is very astute, Little q.  Psychologists know that most romantic love is projection.  We (men) build up a fantasy image of the ideal woman and then project that image on the first woman who smiles at us. 

Jeff's attitude toward the constitution is like that of a middle-age man in love with a younger woman.  He thinks the love is mutual.  He doesn't notice that she is taking half his paycheck, draining his bank account, running up his credit cards and inducing him to cash in his kids' college funds.  The only way to carry that analogy to its full extent would be if she also make him counterfeit money for her to spend.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #101 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Sep 12th, 2019 at 6:55am:
I'm not as in love with it as you are.  Perhaps that is because I understand how it has been used  to increase the power of the central government.
It was intended to give the federal government (not "central" government", if you understood the system of government it created, you would know it's not centralized, it's dispersed) enough power to protect the nation and the rights of citizens.

If you paid attention to what I've been telling you, you wold understand it wasn't ever intended to have an unlimited power to legislate, or an unlimited power to tax, and you would also understand how it usurped those powers.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #102 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Sep 12th, 2019 at 9:20am:
Jeff's attitude toward the constitution is like that of a middle-age man in love with a younger woman.  He thinks the love is mutual.  He doesn't notice that she is taking half his paycheck, draining his bank account, running up his credit cards and inducing him to cash in his kids' college funds.  The only way to carry that analogy to its full extent would be if she also make him counterfeit money for her to spend.

It's a bad analogy. It's not the Constitution that's doing those things, it's the people who are pretending that the Constitution gives them unlimited power to tax and legislate.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #103 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 6:36am
Print Post  
https://reason.com/2019/11/06/as-the-fda-prepares-to-ban-flavored-e-cigarettes-t...

From the article:

"To the contrary, the NYTS data suggest that vaping is replacing smoking among teenagers. "In 2019," the JAMA article notes, "the prevalence of self-reported current e-cigarette use was high among US high school and middle school students, while self-reported current cigarette smoking among high school students has declined to historic lows."

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #104 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 7:29am
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Sep 12th, 2019 at 9:20am:

The part of your analogy that's wrong is that Jeff isn't advocating the Constitution when he advocates all the spending and redistribution of wealth, he's advocating ignoring it.  So the Constitution in this case isn't the younger woman, it's his battle ax at home cooking him dinner

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #105 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 7:54am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Nov 7th, 2019 at 7:29am:
The part of your analogy that's wrong is that Jeff isn't advocating the Constitution when he advocates all the spending and redistribution of wealth...
Please stop attributing things to me that I haven't said and don't believe.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #106 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 8:03am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 7th, 2019 at 7:54am:
Please stop attributing things to me that I haven't said and don't believe.

You have said it, repeatedly.  Whether you believe it or not is between you, Jack and Jim

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #107 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 8:29am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Nov 7th, 2019 at 7:29am:
The part of your analogy that's wrong is that Jeff isn't advocating the Constitution when he advocates all the spending and redistribution of wealth, he's advocating ignoring it.  So the Constitution in this case isn't the younger woman, it's his battle ax at home cooking him dinner

I love that you’re playing off my analogy and I appreciate your offering a refinement of it!  So please don’t take my disagreement as hostility.

If you can get past the slavery, another flaw in the Constitution is that it does not ban taxes for the purpose of redistributing wealth.  I know we disagree on which taxes are redistribution of wealth since I say that all of them are.  So let me ask you this:

If a congressman insists that we need three new aircraft carriers for our defense but in reality, he represents a district in which many of his constituents would profit by building those aircraft carriers, would building them be redistribution of wealth?

As with nearly all of my questions, that one is yes or no then explain all you like.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #108 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 9:04am
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Nov 7th, 2019 at 8:29am:
I love that you’re playing off my analogy and I appreciate your offering a refinement of it!  So please don’t take my disagreement as hostility.

If you can get past the slavery, another flaw in the Constitution

I never insult you when you write serious posts.  Like this one, fair questions.

I agree and disagree with this.  Certainly slavery was a flaw in the Founders, but the Constitution wasn't trying to define who are considered people and therefore citizens.  You could argue that the flaw in every writing at that time was that it didn't ban slavery.  The Constitution wasn't trying to solve that problem, just kick the can.  Again, that WAS a flaw in the Founders

is that it does not ban taxes for the purpose of redistributing wealth.  I know we disagree on which taxes are redistribution of wealth since I say that all of them are.

It's not a valid disagreement.  You are wrong.  It's not an opinion, it's the definition of a term.  It's like the term "statist" that you misuse for rhetorical effect.  It weakens your argument.  The Constitution actually does ban redistribution of wealth.  It's the 10th amendment, buttressed by the 9th

So let me ask you this:

If a congressman insists that we need three new aircraft carriers for our defense but in reality, he represents a district in which many of his constituents would profit by building those aircraft carriers, would building them be redistribution of wealth?

As with nearly all of my questions, that one is yes or no then explain all you like.

Yes, that is redistribution of wealth.  The spending is not for defense and is Unconstitutional.  As I've also said, earmarks are armed robbery.  Spending in the name of a legitimate Constitutional power that doesn't accomplish that goal is not legitimate spending

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #109 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 9:23am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Nov 7th, 2019 at 8:03am:
You have said it, repeatedly. 
Quote me saying that once then. Thanks.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Executive Branch Departments
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy