Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Executive Branch Departments
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Executive Branch Departments (Read 1385 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Executive Branch Departments
Reply #120 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Nov 7th, 2019 at 10:02am:
Giving a billion dollar contract to a defense contractor for the purpose of buying votes, campaign contributions and bribes is redistribution of wealth because it take money out of the pockets of earners and gives it to others not for the benefit of the earners.  The fact that the contractors had their employees have to provide labor and and goods for the money doesn’t change that.

What you are talking about is commonly called corruption in government. Blame Congress, but it is not a redistribution of wealth. It would be if people were paid for not building aircraft carriers.

I agree that Congress wastes absurd amounts of money on our various branches of the military, but that is at least arguably done in the defense of the nation, which is in the benefit of everyone, even those who don't pay taxes.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #121 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 7th, 2019 at 9:42am:
As usual, you have the Constitution upside down. It is not necessary to forbid redistribution of wealth, it is only necessary to not grant such power to the government, which leads to the question, "Where in the Constitution do you find a grant of power to redistribute wealth?"

Right, that is what the constitution states:  that every power not given to the federal government is reserved to the people and the states.

Can you state with certainty that you do not support anything the federal government is currently doing that is not explicitly a power granted to them?

Think carefully before you answer, Jeff, would be my recommendation.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #122 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Nov 7th, 2019 at 10:02am:
Minimum wage is redistribution of wealth even though people have to work for the minimum wage, because it forces employers to pay more than the market would call for on pain of not being allowed to hire workers.  The fact that the workers have to work for the minimum wage means that they part of their wage that employers would pay them absent minimum wage laws is not redistribution, but the excess is.

This is true, but it's only a temporary effect.  The reality is that because of the minimum age as well as unemployment, employers do as you say overpay new employees.  But if they aren't worth the minimum wage, they fire them quickly.  They won't continue to pay them more than they are worth

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #123 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Nov 7th, 2019 at 10:16am:
Can you state with certainty that you do not support anything the federal government is currently doing that is not explicitly a power granted to them?

Think carefully before you answer, Jeff, would be my recommendation.
Explicitly? You want me to say that things done by the federal government which are necessary and proper for carrying out the duties given to Congress, and the powers granted to them, are unconstitutional because there is, for instance, no "explicit" grant of power to create an air force?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #124 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 7th, 2019 at 9:40am:
No. Providing for the national defense is a duty assigned to the federal government.

Well, that answers my question above.

The national defense could easily be provided for by the Navy, which is authorized by the constitution, and which still to this day has naval aviation and by the Army, which is authorized by the constitution and which had an air corps that defeated Germany and Japan.

The honest answer would have been, “The Air Force is constitutional because Jeff likes it.”

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #125 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 10:23am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Nov 7th, 2019 at 10:20am:
This is true, but it's only a temporary effect.  The reality is that because of the minimum age as well as unemployment, employers do as you say overpay new employees.  But if they aren't worth the minimum wage, they fire them quickly.  They won't continue to pay them more than they are worth
As you probably know from your experience kaz, new employees often become more valuable as they learn the job, but of course you are correct that minimum wage laws often prevent first time job seekers with no experience from getting a job at all.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #126 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Nov 7th, 2019 at 10:22am:
Well, that answers my question above.

The national defense could easily be provided for by the Navy, which is authorized by the constitution, and which still to this day has naval aviation and by the Army, which is authorized by the constitution and which had an air corps that defeated Germany and Japan.

The honest answer would have been, “The Air Force is constitutional because Jeff likes it.”

"The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States"

What you just said is nonsense.  You're just word parsing.  The Constitution says army and navy.  Clearly the Founders were referring to the military in general.  Their intent was that defense was one of the few legitimate Federal powers and they were enabling it.  Their intent was clearly not to say an air force is fine, but only under the army or navy. 

It's hysterical that you claim your prowess with me, and you can't even not trip over your own feet fighting with Jeff.  Not being able to put Jeff away is pretty sad.  No wonder you need to make up and crow about some sort of prowess ...

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #127 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Nov 7th, 2019 at 10:22am:

Perhaps Congress could do what China does, and lump everything into the army... We could have a People's Army Airforce... Which in fact is what we had at the beginning of WWII.

Had the founders known of this neat trick, they wouldn't have even needed to authorize a navy! We would then currently have a People's Army Navy.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #128 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 7th, 2019 at 10:23am:
As you probably know from your experience kaz, new employees often become more valuable as they learn the job, but of course you are correct that minimum wage laws often prevent first time job seekers with no experience from getting a job at all.

Damn straight I know from experience having owned among other businesses a restaurant and childcare center.   No way would I pay an unreliable worker more than they are worth.  Better to toss them back in the lake and try someone else.

And yes, if wages were lower for low end workers, I could give them less responsibility until they mastered that and give them a chance to develop.

The other thing in NC is the 3 month unemployment cap.  After 3 months, I fire them and government starts to rape me to pay them to not work.  So 3 months is the max they get to prove themselves.  If they're on the border in 3 months, see ya.  Thank the government for that ...

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #129 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 10:35am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Nov 7th, 2019 at 10:31am:
Damn straight I know from experience having owned among other businesses a restaurant and childcare center.   No way would I pay an unreliable worker more than they are worth.  Better to toss them back in the lake and try someone else.

And yes, if wages were lower for low end workers, I could give them less responsibility until they mastered that and give them a chance to develop.

The other thing in NC is the 3 month unemployment cap.  After 3 months, I fire them and government starts to rape me to pay them to not work.  So 3 months is the max they get to prove themselves.  If they're on the border in 3 months, see ya.  Thank the government for that ...
My experience is that, if you are paying attention, it takes much less than three months to determine whether or not you've hired a good employee.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Executive Branch Departments
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy